Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Working with Sintra  (Read 1755 times)

disneytoy

Working with Sintra
« on: June 03, 2015, 06:23:19 pm »

Hello Gang!

I'm just getting set up to print/mount/frame a collection of 24x36" pieces (and larger).

I'm waiting on my cold laminator to arrive. Mainly printing on Epson Gloss 250. Earlier I was recommended on here to mount on 3mm Sintra. Which I now have a large supply.

Question 1) Any tips on cleaning the Sintra prior to mounting to promote adhesion?

Question 2) 3mm is pretty flimsy stuff. My framing treatment has the image floating. I was thinking of using a .5" foam core behind the Sintra. What type of glue can I use to attach the foamcore to the sintra?

As a manual test I tried mounting a gloss print with glue to a scrap of sintra and found I could easily peel it off the sintra. So I'm concerned with getting a permanent bond.

As for dry mounting.

I was recommended to use Drytac Mediatac. But in a conversation with a sales manger at Drytac he thought Multitac was better. Have no experience with either, I'd like to know any thoughts on either product.

I have a stack of prints done, plenty of Sintra, foam core, just waiting for the laminator to arrive, and to order the adhesive film.

Photoshop and Lightroom are easier than these manufacturing decisions.

Thanks

Maxi

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
Re: Working with Sintra
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 07:16:44 am »

Sintra looks to be the same class of material as the Forex classic we use.
If so, then peel off protective packaging release film (to generate lots of static:-), spray with isopropyl alcohol (IPA), to remove surface grease and static . Wipe dry with lint free cloth.
Prior to coating, before sintra is at the nip of the roller, wipe across with tac cloth, and keep wiping as it is fed into the machine.

For bonding the two parts, you could apply adhesive (Mediatac or multitac) to the .5 foam. Peel back a couple of inches, line up the boards, and pull back the liner, to let them bond. Might be easier to use a heavier sintra - 24x36, I'd want at least 5mm. For added rigidity, apply a subframe to the back.

I think either mediatac or multitac would work - very useful to have a direct contact with Drytac - they may be able to supply a couple of 5m rolls for you to make a decision on.

disneytoy

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 02:12:53 pm »

Thanks for trhe info.

Sintra or expanded PVC, Doesn't have a paper covering, just raw lightly textured plastic. Mines a bit dirty.  I guess I can use alcohol, or light soap and water.

I have been in contact with Drytac and think they are sending some Multitac to try.

Thanks

I also ordered a 12" silicone sticky roller to try.

ddolde

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 03:44:58 pm »

Better to cold mount to diBond. It's very smooth and rigid.

stcstc31

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 03:19:37 am »

dibond (or ACM as dibond is a trademark of alcan) is a better material as above.

BUT

its a pita to cut, hand etc, generally costs a bit more than sintra/foamex

the nice thing about sintra/foamex is you can  mount with a boarder and trim back with a blade and straight edge

Stephen Crozier

www.360-dpi.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up