Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blackberries, lupine and vine  (Read 1261 times)

armand

• Photos
Blackberries, lupine and vine
« on: June 03, 2015, 04:00:13 pm »

around my house
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 04:03:46 pm by armand »

armand

• Photos
Re: Blackberries, lupine and vine
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 04:11:30 pm »

the second one is a focus stack where I forgot to crop a bad edge before exporting, here is a better version

francois

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 03:06:26 am »

It's a nice and refreshing set of summer vegetation. I especially like the B&W vine image.
Francois

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 03:35:18 am »

Reminds me of  Denis Moore.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

armand

• Photos
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 11:27:00 am »

It's a nice and refreshing set of summer vegetation. I especially like the B&W vine image.

That one is my favorite too.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 07:19:11 pm »

Armand - They are all straightforward photographs, except for the last "vines". It has some "character" that allows it to stand out from the rest in that it has grape at movement in it, it is a more dramatic composition and it is B&W.

I'm not sure how to say this, but we are in the User Critique section... As these are "portraits" of the subjects you've chosen, you might find even more success if you really work at portraying them in their best light, in a way that exhibits their unique character. For example, lumpiness have such a dynamic flower structure, colour and leaf shape. You want to accentuate those aspects. Soft backlighting works; combine that with a background darker than the flowers and that would elevate both shape and colour.

The trick is to stop and ask yourself, what am I trying to do here? Why am I photographing this? What caused me to stop and consider setting up? What am I trying to say? Once you can articulate answers to these questions, use your knowledge of photography to accentuate those characteristics? If done well, the answer should become apparent to objective viewers once they begin to study your work in detail.

Also, grabbing viewers' attention with a unique view or composition is a good way to guide your composition. I always consider what I've seen before and try to make something different of the scene. While one can become obsessed with the dramatic, I find it easier to scale back on drama to fit the scene/subject than to try to add drama artificially when it is lacking. You haven't done this - and that's a good thing. But, like a good novel or newspaper article, look for ways to hook your viewers. Backlighting is a good place to start.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

armand

• Photos
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 11:46:39 pm »

These days I'm experimenting with focus stacking and paradoxically the composition might suffer.
Light and subject unfortunately are what they are, didn't get to leave the house for these so I tried to make the best of what was available. I agree they are not great but I was focused more on technique.
Vacation is ahead though so I should be back here with significantly better shots, I tend to get 2-5 per trip (at least that's what I choose to think).
Pages: [1]   Go Up