Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Credo 60 use with MS Surface 3 in field.  (Read 4467 times)

David Horton

Leaf Credo 60 use with MS Surface 3 in field.
« on: June 03, 2015, 09:56:25 am »

Does anyone have experience of the above in field use along with Capture One 8 (as opposed to Surface Pro 3)?
Your thoughts/observations are welcomed.
Thanks in advance.

Jeffery Salter

• Loving life one frame at a time.
    • Jeffery Salter
Re: Leaf Credo 60 use with MS Surface 3 in field.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 10:05:32 am »

Hi David,

There is highly reputable and well respected landscape photographer named Ken Doo.  He has done extensive testing in the field with the MS Surface tablet running Capture One software.  Here is a link to his blog.

https://kendoophotography.wordpress.com/2014/02/18/microsofts-surface-pro-2-a-game-changer-for-phase-one-iq-series-and-leaf-credo-medium-format-digital-backs/

And here are links on that very subject on GETDPI

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/50349-tethering-surface-pro-2-enabling-phase-iq-series-credo-mfdbs.html

Very good reading.

Enjoy,
Jeffery
Warmest regards,
Jeffery Salter
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeffery Salter
Miami, Fl. U.S.A.
photos:  www.jefferysalter.com
Blog: http://blog.jefferysalter.com/
Instagram: @jefferysalter

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 10:15:30 am »

Yes Ken's blog has a great write up and he is now on about the 4th iteration of the clamp, using magnets which I am about to also switch to.

I have tethered both the S2 and S3, both the i5 version with 8GB of ram and 256GB hard drive.  I prefer the S2 since I find even the i5 S3 seems to run a bit hot in my environment (spring, summer, and a bit in fall) 

Overall a great solution, not too much to carry in the field and the ability to preview in C1 "priceless" especially if you are using a tech camera in the field. 

The latest Surface 3, (non pro) would be excellent here but it's only shipping with 4GB of ram and that's IMO not quite enough, but I would still like to try it.

The S3 pro screen is considerably larger, but it's also denser screen resolution and thus it's can be a bit hard to read with older eyes like mine.  The only real issue is the screen  on either unit as they are mirrors in the sun and you will find that you want to remove the unit from the clamp while tethered to get it out of the sun.  Ken's latest clamp with magnets allows doing this with only one hand.  It's a great idea.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

David Horton

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 10:46:38 am »

Jeffery and Paul,

Many thanks for information.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 11:26:18 am »

David, the other limitation to the Surface 3 (not the Pro) is the processor, which I believe will not support C1Pro 8 effectively.  If you're looking to cut costs, you might be able to find a Surface Pro 2 inexpensively, especially once the Surface Pro 4 is released.  I'd look towards at least Core i5 and 8GB RAM. The sweet spot is 256GB memory, with a premium on 512GB.  Paul has good info to share about the i7, which does seem to have some hiccups. I'll probably look towards the SP4, but choose the i5 processor and get as much RAM as possible. Rumor mill is the SP4 may offer more than 8GB RAM!

If you want to explore the latest Surface Pro clamping options, see:  https://kendoophotography.wordpress.com/2015/05/29/tethering-with-the-surface-pro-evolving-clamp-choices/

KPS, maker of the T5 geared ballhead, is sending me their mini-ballhead to compare and explore use of their Slim Plate system for the Surface Pro.  So far, the magnetic clamp is my favorite option!

Ken

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 02:31:55 pm »

I've been using a SP to tether for about 18 months now beginning first with the 2 and currently the 3.  I think the SP while looking good isn't suited to tether due to the lack of RAM and processor.  It might work but will be on the very low end and in the long run cost you more after you upgrade to either the 3 or soon to be released 4.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 04:12:00 pm »

There has also been a bit more activity lately on the large Apple iPad rumors (possibly with USB Port and OS X) and WDDC is coming up next week.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/05/21/future-of-ipad-dual-app-viewing-mode-then-j99-ipad-pro-multi-user-support/

Steve Hendrix
CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Ken Doo

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 06:37:48 pm »

I would love to see a real "iPad Pro" (core i5/i7, 8GB+) with two USB3 ports. I'm sure the Apple folks would make a prettier looking solution.  But so far, the Surface Pro really is the best and only game in town for tethering on location with the IQ/Credo MFDBs. The Surface Pro provides the power of a laptop in a tablet form factor, and a touchscreen interface make it a natural extension of the MFDB screen.

Now if we could just address the glare of the screen when out in the sun....

ken
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 08:49:39 am by kdphotography »

David Horton

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 07:36:10 am »

Ken, Don and Steve,

Many thanks for this most useful and detailed advice. Main considerations were size and weight (increasing annoyances with advancing years and impending decrepitude).

David.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 09:29:37 am »

I would love to see a real "iPad Pro" (core i5/i7, 8GB+) with two USB3 ports. I'm sure the Apple folks would make a prettier looking solution.  But so far, the Surface Pro really is the best and only game in town for tethering on location with the IQ/Credo MFDBs. The Surface Pro provides the power of a laptop in a tablet form factor, and a touchscreen interface make it a natural extension of the MFDB screen.

Now if we could just address the glare of the screen when out in the sun....

ken

That can be easily resolved, Ken:

http://www.amazon.de/Dicota-Anti-Glare-Displayschutzfolie-Microsoft-Surface/dp/B00O4FKV74/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433424525&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=displayscutzfolie+f%C3%BCr+surface+pro+3

my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Ken Doo

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 09:37:10 am »

Leave it up to the Germans...   ;D

Have you tried this anti-glare screen protector? There are a few out there, but I haven't heard any that really solve the problem with glare.  The other difficulty is often screen protectors decrease the image quality of viewing or touchscreen.  Don Libby found an anti-Glare Screen, which is actually glass---but it's only available for the SP3, and if you want to use the UAG case, which I recommend for the latest magnetic clamp option, you can't use the screen, absent a glass shop trimming it down.

Is this one you can recommend?

ken
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 09:39:26 am by kdphotography »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 10:05:12 am »

Synn's might be worth a try as it's apparently more like film.  However on a surface 3 the "surface area" of the screen makes it very hard to apply these without dust getting trapped under the film. 

What we really need is the NFL's S3 case, totally waterproof, and antiglare so it can be used on the footfall field during daylight.  You can see them at times on the sidelines.  It's kinda funny to watch the players with them, huge fingers, tiny screen relatively speaking.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Ken Doo

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 11:38:40 pm »

Too bad the NFL Surface Pro case is not available.  It's even in Phase One Blue!  ;D  It's sorta like the UAG case...

ken

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 05:27:21 am »

Hi Ken,

I don't yet have it for the SP3 (Will spring for it soon. Prime shipping is evil for those of us with impulse purchase habits! ), but I have tried the same on smartphones and an iPad Mini. There is a bit of a contrast loss, but unless you do all your editing on the SP3 (Which I am pretty sure you don't), shouldn't be a big issue.

Another option would be to DIY a screen shade with cardboard or something like this:

http://www.amazon.de/EIZO-CH7-Monitor-CX240-schwarz/dp/B008OM0RDG/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1433496393&sr=1-1&keywords=monitor+hood

Maybe I should start a Kickstarter for this...  ;D

Ken Doo

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 09:44:01 am »

Ok, good to know----I'll have to try one of these anti-glare screens---even if it helps a little, that is improvement.  And yes, you're correct---all processing is done on a workstation.  I have made a small, lightweight, foldable shade that works, but it is really ghetto.  ::) ;D  I find myself using a hand to shield, or maybe better to throw a cloth over my head when viewing.

And yes, Amazon Prime is just evil...pure evil.   :D

ken

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 10:18:50 am »

or maybe better to throw a cloth over my head when viewing.

Full circle back to the old days of photography! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up