Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture Integration: Try the Phase One XF & Meet the Imaging Professor 6/10 6/12  (Read 3093 times)

Chris Valites

• Capture Integration

Get Hands On with the new Phase One XF & Meet The Developer
Phase One XF Camera System Debut

Join Capture Integration on June 10th at our Manchester, NH office for an open house. We are happy to announce that in addition to having the Imaging Professor, Niels Knudsen here for questions and roundtable discussion, we will have the Phase One XF Camera system here for demonstration and use. The brand new Phase One XF camera represents a leap forward for Phase One users. Including an entirely overhauled autofocus system, powersharing between the back and the camera, as well as the ability to use a waist-level viewfinder, the Phase One XF camera system is a revolutionary leap forward that includes the following features:

• New Autofocus Platform – the Honeybee Autofocus Platform (HAP-1)
  • New Flexible OneTouch user Interface
  • New IQ3 Digital Backs
  • New Capture One 8.3
  • New Modular Viewfinders

Phase One and Capture Integration are excited to have this camera available for you to use and demo and cannot wait to put it in your hands at this VIP training. Come sign up at the appropriate events page today:

New England RSVP Page

Miami RSVP Page

Niels V. Knudsen from Phase One

Direct from Denmark - Joining us in attendance will be Niels Knudsen, Phase One’s Image Quality Professor. Niels is personally responsible for breakthrough achievements in image quality in both Phase One digital camera systems and imaging software. We will have the best equipment on the market available for testing and demonstration. Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Profoto, ALPA, Cambo, and more - allowing you to get hands on with the very best medium format camera technology and lighting Capture Integration has to offer. Food and refreshments will be served. We cannot wait to see you here.

Also on hand will be additional members of the Capture Integration team:

In New England, members of the Capture Integration team will be present, including Dave McRitchie (National Sales Manager) Chris Valites (Research, Marketing, Support) and Rob Baker (Marketing Director). From Team Phase One, Ziv Argov (VP of Marketing at Phase One) Jon Gilbert (Technical Support Team Leader) and Niels Knudsen (Imaging Professor) will be there to answer all Phase One questions.

In Miami, the CI team member who will be there will be Chris Snipes (Sales Manager.) From Team Phase One, Ziv Argov (VP of Marketing at Phase One,) and Niels Knudsen (Imaging Professor) will be there to answer all Phase One questions.

Meet the Developer

Niels has spent more than 20 years in the digital photography business, specializing in image processing and digital camera technology. He was the main driver being the development of Capture One Pro itself, as well as the design of the Light Phase back. Since then, he’s been working closely with the world’s best photographers in order to achieve the ultimate image quality and photography workflow. Holding several patents for digital imaging and image processing, Niels is a pioneer at making ICC profiling work for digital cameras. In his own time, Niels is a passionate landscape photographer.

You can see more of Niels’s work on the Image Quality Professor’s blog, including Capture One Tips and tutorials, time-saving shortcuts, undocumented tricks, and more: Professor Tips Archives - The Image Quality Professor's Blog

Try out the latest Profoto, ALPA, and other gear

While shooting with the Phase One XF, you'll need to use some lighting, and we'll have it, with the Profoto B1 AirTTL 500 strobe, as well as the latest cameras from ALPA, like the ALPA 12 STC, ALPA 12 FPS, and more. Cambo cameras will be there to try, such as the Cambo ACTUS DB, WRC-400, and WRS-1200. Come on by and make sure you try these out!

Win A Free Digital Back Rental

In addition to the chance to test-drive Phase One products, and ask Niels your most pressing Capture One Pro questions, you’ll be able to enter for a chance to win a free digital back rental. Certificate of insurance and insured shipping rates apply.

Firmware Updates and Sensor Cleaning

Free digital back cleaning and firmware updates will be available for anyone who brings their personal gear along.

See our Events page for more information: https://captureintegration.com/company/events/

Make sure you sign up to have a chance to shoot with these cameras and live models, and pick the brains of Phase One's brightest minds!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 04:43:34 pm by Chris Valites »
Chris Valites
Research, Marketing & Support, Capture Integration(e-mail Me)
MFDB: Phase One/Leaf-Mamiya/Hasselblad/Leica/Sinar
TechCam: Alpa/Cambo/Arca Swiss/Sinar
Direct: 716.913.7936

orc73

ok, nice, how is it meant to be focused for portraits, where the eyes are critical?

There is only 1 focus point in the middle.

This is not a provocation, I really want to learn about it!

There would be focus and recompose(if you are not on a tripod). Read about Pythagoras if you think this is a reliable way.
Hasselblad has truefocus, which is quite reliable in correcting the shift.

How to work IF you are on a tripod?

From my experience high megapixel 35mm cameras have big issues on that. Even they have cross type af points outside the center, they still misfocus and a portrait at 135mm and f8 might be out of focus. Focus and recompose from the center focus point, would need a very narrow aperture.

I saw a review clip on youtube, where they tested autofocus at f16 from a tripod, and said it's ok. He did not say where he focus on.
As far as I know F16 is not an aperture, where lenses perform to justify use of medium format. Again I might be wrong on this and willing to learn.

AreBee

orc73,

...how is it meant to be focused for portraits, where the eyes are critical?

When used for its intended purpose, the single, central, focus point of the XF is, in fact, ideal. Refer here for an example.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

When used for its intended purpose, the single, central, focus point of the XF is, in fact, ideal. Refer here for an example.

Lol

Cheers,
Bernard

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com

orc73,

;D

orc73

not a good example. his eye would need to be on his chest... :D

actualy the Leica S and the Pentax have the same problem.

Surprised not getting any feedback in the MF section. Though I understand for landscape, architecture and product this is absolutely no issue and a central focus point is just fine or even manual focus should do.

Endeavour

at which institution is Niels a Professor?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

ok, nice, how is it meant to be focused for portraits, where the eyes are critical?

This is not a provocation, I really want to learn about it!

There would be focus and recompose(if you are not on a tripod). Read about Pythagoras if you think this is a reliable way.
Hasselblad has truefocus, which is quite reliable in correcting the shift.

How to work IF you are on a tripod?

From my experience high megapixel 35mm cameras have big issues on that. Even they have cross type af points outside the center, they still misfocus and a portrait at 135mm and f8 might be out of focus. Focus and recompose from the center focus point, would need a very narrow aperture.

I saw a review clip on youtube, where they tested autofocus at f16 from a tripod, and said it's ok. He did not say where he focus on.
As far as I know F16 is not an aperture, where lenses perform to justify use of medium format. Again I might be wrong on this and willing to learn.

Man, you had to dig a bit to find this,  :)

I guess it's like you like to either wear pants or shorts.  The single focus point, really nothing new, as the AFDIII, DF, DF+ and now XF all share this design.  Not the best, but not new news either.  Doesn't seem to be slowing down Phase XF sales either as the wait is about 2 months to get one.

Works find on a tripod, at least for me, as I have used all the above bodies mostly on a tripod.  Pretty simple with a ball head to, release, set focus, and recompose.  Actually takes about the same amount of time as it would to move the focus point in my D810 from center to the far left or right. 

I can't speak to portrait work, but I can see your point on the eye focus.  It will be interesting to see how the portrait industry takes to the XF.

Not the best solution for sure, but from what I have seen the mulitpoints in the 645z are all pretty closely bundled also, but yes you get more than center. 

I had hoped with the new "honeybee" CMOS sensor that something more was going to happen here, maybe integration with the LCD/touchscreen on the back?  But so far nothing has been stated in that direction. 

Phase has a huge advantage with their touch screen design, at least to me.

I guess time will tell, but for now, yes 1 very accurate focus point, with the XF.

The biggest downside for me, the fact that the excellent CCD sensors Phase One has, just can't be used in LiveView, outdoors without a lot of hassle.  Where as the CMOS 50MP sensor is a dream.  But for portrait focus, probably Live View is still not a great solution. 

Edit: after using a tech camera with No AF for over 4 years, the XF was like coming home for me.  I really missed just that one AF point!

Paul C
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:07:39 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

The only possible solution would be on sensor AF.

Sony has the technology, it should be combined with an EVF, the only question is whether the rumored larger CMOS sensor would feature this or not.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 04:49:40 pm by BernardLanguillier »

kers

• Pieter Kers

is this an adverforumal  ???
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1]   Go Up