Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: XF and Leaf Credo  (Read 20168 times)

torger

Re: XF and Leaf Credo
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2015, 02:20:24 pm »

I'm not sure I follow all philosophical turns in the discussion, but anyway some more loose talk:

in the film days the post-processing possibilities were limited, so if we wanted to make a landscape image really pop we loaded Velvia 50, which of course was not designed to be accurate but to make landscape scenes pop. I guess color couldn't be 100% designed back then either, the chemicals reacted in certain ways so you had to take the good with the bad.

With digital we have total control over color and can design it. However, photographers buying into digital came from film once and they didn't all of a sudden become their own post-processing experts so in the start profiles had to provide looks much in the same way as film did.

However, today things are different. Photographers are more used to post-processing, the software is better at it so you can design your own look quite easily (although I think there is room for improvement still!). Why should then the camera profile apply some preset film-like look? What is the value to the photographer to get a rendering with a different hue than the eye saw? (Assuming normal light conditions)

Using Hasseblad as an example again, I'd say that their look is 95% realistic. If you shoot a scene with reasonable light, look at the default render you say "wow it looks exactly the same", if the scene was dull, the result is dull. It's only when you start to look really closely some smaller deviations can be found. If you would look at say a Velvia 50 shot you'd spot all sorts of hue errors and certainly way too high saturation, but it can make a dull scene pop. That is I'd say Hasselblad has to a large extent followed the principle that the camera should first and foremost deliver a realistic image, and the creative look should be left to the photographer. Then there are other manufacturers that have stayed with the tradition of choosing a film stock for creative purposes, or like Adobe provide the one true film look(tm) that we're supposed to like.

Another interesting aspect of Hasseblad is that they have made their different models look almost exactly the same, even if there's a Kodak sensor in one model and a Dalsa in another. I've heard many professional photographers appreciate this feature, as they can change camera in the middle of a shoot, or use different camera models simultaneously during a shoot. Then there are other manufacturers that make their models look differently. The reputation that Kodak has a saturated look and Dalsa better skin tones doesn't come from Hasseblad's products, but from Phase One's, mainly P45+ (Kodak) vs P65+ (Dalsa) I suppose. There are hardware differences, but they don't need to result in very large color differences if the profiles are designed for the same targeted look.

(It should be said that Hassy's look and all other profiles I've tested have quite large errors on high saturation colors, but I think that is more about gamut mapping making images easier to print, or simply because high saturation colors haven't been prioritized when designing the profile)

I do not fully agree that the talk about that raw conversion and tone curves etc doesn't mean anything. I does. Just maybe not as much as we are lead to believe. Say if all manufacturers would decide that we want to produce a 100% neutral profile that just produce a 100% realistic result (actually many manufacturers have such presets) the looks would still differ to quite some degree, and not mainly due to hardware differences, but because the problem is without solution and requires quite some "psychovisual" creativity to get to a good approximate solution, and thus different manufacturers will come to different conclusions.

If we look at what color scientists do they stopped messing with tone curves more than ten years ago and started with spatially varying algorithms, what we call "tone mapping" in the photographic world, because subject-dependent spatially varying algorithms is required to make something work well for all images, over the whole image surface. There are various reasons this is not a good idea to incorporate in general-purpose photography though, so there we're stuck with tone curves and making the best out of it and even if we have the same goal we will end up with somewhat different results.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2015, 02:43:32 pm »

Yes, yes. What  tried to say is that it is total bullshit to start talking about raw conversion, tone curves etc as if they actually mean anything - they have about as much absolute significance as the elasticity of a steel needle on a shellack record - they are necessary algorithmic transducers, employed in today's color capture process.

That's better as an argument.

The only place were genuine improvement can be expected to come from is the digital cinema world, because digital cinema sells the user an experience, not a product.

Edmund

Some confusion here perhaps? There are two still photography markets: photographers and picture consumers. Arguably the consumer of the still picture is buying an "experience" the photographer is buying product, the steel needle and shellac record. The camera companies are selling to the latter market, the photographers the former. Granted in many cases, you click the shutter we do the rest, is catering to both markets simultaneously and that market is largely indifferent to the steel needle quality, they take what the camera companies give them, aided and abetted by all those very clever colour people baking in the "look", including HDR  ;) When a photographer wants to change that baked in look to his vision then all these other parameters come into play, he tries to understand the bake and manipulate it.
As you do understand, probably far more than I, psychophysics the subtle changes Torger was discussing was surely not incorrect, it is that subtle stimulus that provokes a response, much as HDR invokes a non subtle response from me when handled inelegantly, a subjective judgement of course.
And following the cinema argument isn't the principle there to capture, digitally, a very flat, desaturated image to facilitate just what Torger discusses, application of profiles and curves later? Some still cameras are moving, probably under the movie incorporated influence, to including that as a still out put option are they not?

Anyway an interesting discussion which I must leave now as I have 30m of the new Foma film Retropan 320 to spool down, shouldn't be much colour to trouble me there.

torger

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2015, 02:49:43 pm »

I'd like to get more into digital cinema at some point, not really because I'm interested in making movies, but because their approach to color looks much different, and maybe more modern. I have no idea really as I haven't seen that much.

Some of the core design of raw converters like Hassy's Phocus and Capture One is truly ancient though, stuck in the 90s. Lightroom is not that much better, except they're built on floating point from the ground up.

Capture One still applies RGB tone curves, which is about the worst form of tone curve there is, with garish saturation increase and color shift. It was great to use in the 90s though as its computationally very efficient and has a saturated "film-like" look built-in. Anyway, they fix it all by pre-compensating for the curve effects in the profile itself which works fine. They allow to change the "film curve" though, so they haven't made as strong compensation as they otherwise could. From a color appearance aspect it's broken design that they allow you change RGB curve at all, as if you change it the profile need other compensations. Unless you don't simply consider it a creative effect.

I'm a bit curious if they still think in "RGB curve mode", or the profiles are designed in other ways and then just converted back to the legacy pipeline. Both scenarios are possible, and you can get great results from both, it's just a whole lot harder and more manual tuning if you're supposed to manually compensate for the RGB S-curve wrongdoings. Making it more complicated that it needs to be maybe adds to the mystery though :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 02:51:21 pm by torger »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2015, 04:58:03 pm »

I think Kodak wrote much of the modern electronic imaging color science. Kodak did the original work on the Bayer sensor.  In fact, I think some of the best profiling tools were supplied with the Kodak DCS cameras. Also I don't think Japanese companies have an exceptional desire to innovate, absent competition, and I understand that well.

The only company which has guaranteed revenues from Raw conversion is Adobe. As non-specific platform software, they certainly have more to gain from an  stagnation or very equitable evolution of the status quo than from any breakout occurring - the more the playing field is fragmented and level, the better they stand. If a major player adopts a breakthrough technology and does not license it, that will essentially be a piece of the pie they lose. New color technology, no thank you. Multispectral sensors, no thank you. Sensor-shift super-resolution, no thank you. Wavefront optics, no thank you. Come on guys, keep making those cameras but stay with what you know works - don't try doing software, it's so hard!

Thus if one were cynical, one could view something like DNG as a format designed to allow camera makers to easily achieve the quality offered by Lightroom to their competitors, while denying them the ability to progress beyond their competition. Prosumers want lightroom to work the day a camera is released, but any new tech would obviously delay or endanger this possibility. An analogy to this situation is the PC-compatible standard curated by Microsoft, which was very profitable for Microsoft, stifled innovation and has now ended up in complete commoditisation and industry bankruptcy.

Of course, one could also view DNG as an easy entry path to digital imaging for any hardware company with little software expertise - and argument which I am sure every Chinese and even American computer clone manufacturers would recognise: Guys, software is hard - just leave that software to us and and we'll see you get rich.  

Edmund

PS. In case you wonder why non-standard hardware/software combinations can be useful - look at RED who built their whole company on wavelet encoding, proprietary color science and proprietary file formats. Works wonderfully end to end and allows them to run rings round the competition.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 06:23:46 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Transposure

• Transposure Creative
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2016, 12:18:39 am »

Well, it is exactly 7 months later.

Is there any update on compatibility of the Credo and the XF?

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2016, 01:26:48 am »

Well, it is exactly 7 months later.

Is there any update on compatibility of the Credo and the XF?
Forgotten amidst the hype of a new product I might suspect.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Frederic_H

• www.fredericharster.com
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2016, 08:15:11 am »

The latest unofficially official statement... : http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=19069#p103301

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2016, 09:18:32 am »

The latest unofficially official statement... : http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=19069#p103301

Based on the very slow availability of XF bodies, since announcement, this may be something that Phase is just holding back on until the supply catches up.  I can't imagine that there is much more to operation than a firmware update for the camera or back or both.  The Credo and Phase backs are so close in design, I just can't see this being that big a deal.  If it is then a big oops to Phase One.   It took almost 3 months for my XF to arrive.  But I did not order at announce instead waited a month or so.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up