Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: XF and Leaf Credo  (Read 20171 times)

ciccio

Re: XF and Leaf Credo
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2015, 07:50:02 am »

as allways ,
business model phase one is not customer friendly ...
and the very near future it will harmed down  , for sure.
you will then see, a totally different way of selling digital backs ! with other economics parameters.
best

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2015, 08:16:36 am »

Humor or not, it doesn't change the fact that Leaf for real has become Phase One's budget brand from a pure business perspective. If you want the latest and greatest MFD tech first, Phase One is your brand. Phase One won't release a flagship feature on Leaf before Phase One, there must be some motivation to the difference in price.

But the situation is a bit special, Leaf was independent before and a competitor to Phase One, they developed their own color profiles and some preferred Leaf's look over Phase One's, that is considered Leaf to be the superior brand (actually I think I'm one of them). This hasn't really changed, Leaf's colors are still distinctly different from Phase One's even if both are in Capture One now, and if you prefer them Leaf is still the superior brand to you. Then you can enjoy the better price that comes with the "budget" brand, but unfortunately need to suffer the delays in features too.

As a leaf credo owner, I  understand and have zero problems with it being the budget brand of Phase. You are right that the thing with Leaf colors haven't changed and that is the most important thing for me personally. Also,I am ok with some delays in features getting trickled down (like USB tethering or XF compatibility) rather than not getting the features at all with other brands (like a decent screen on the back of a hasslelblad) .

As always here, those with the biggest complaints are those who have never owned the brand in question and have no plans to own it in the future.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2015, 09:12:32 am »

Hi Synn,

a good point. But, my systems was chosen by NASA to fly to the moon…

Best regards
Erik

The ironic thing about the horse and carriage Erik, is that you're the one with a V system.
Perhaps that didn't cross your mind. Happens.
Erik Kaffehr

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2015, 11:01:23 am »

Hi Synn,

Best regards
Erik

Touche' Eric!

But wasn't that almost 50 years ago?

;-)

No worries my Hasselblad friend(s), on the other hand, after all this time, it's still a viable, (if not universally optimal) system for digital capture.

Steve Hendrix
CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Ken R

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2015, 12:54:09 pm »

Hi Synn,

Best regards
Erik

A lot has rained since then...

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2015, 06:14:02 pm »

A lot has rained since then...

Not on the moon!

But I have to agree, when I am not on a tripod with 20 mins available to focus each image, I am getting on average better images from my RX100 than from my 503cw. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 06:15:59 pm by BernardLanguillier »

ciccio

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2015, 07:02:24 pm »

so sorry for you that have a credo synn....
i have a sinar back and a couple of phase one.
have a nice holiday  ;D

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2015, 08:03:41 pm »

as allways ,
business model phase one is not customer friendly ...
and the very near future it will harmed down  , for sure.
you will then see, a totally different way of selling digital backs ! with other economics parameters.
best

I agree. The sensors are going to become a commodity, like any other electronic component, and paradoxically it is much easier to build a back than a whole camera. Even before that, the Japanese are going to crash the prices, we can see it happening with the Pentax. However, Doug will probably have already finished sending his kids to college, with our help,  by the time this happens :)

I have a whole collection of old Macintosh laptops, starting from  1992. At the time they were expensive, now people give them to me for free, and a new laptop for simple use can be bought for the price of a day's work in many countries. Interestingly, the old laptops can buy some very nice abandonware games, and many have color screens which are superb.

These days, I help out on occasional video projects to keep up my skills, but my still photography work is purely for my own personal enjoyment. At the moment, I am using a 1Ds3 which I traded for my 5DII, and which has toughness and good color, and I have welded my 15 year old fashion 85/1.2  to it. It probably focuses as well as Benard's RXxx.

I am sure my next MF system will come from the used market, probably an H4xx, I am looking at the buy sell adds regularly, but I think I'll have to wait another 9 months or so. One USED still camera buy every two or 3 years is sustainable, and you can get very nice stuff on the USED market - that  is MY new economic model for still cameras - my 4 year old has changed my lifestyle priorities  :)

Today's pinecone, 85/1.2 used as a macro lens :)

Edmund
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 08:44:49 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

torger

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 04:40:23 am »

Some of the Canons have very good color too. Canon has been bashed for their poor dynamic range, rightfully so I guess, but for well-exposed images they can do good color. Few dare to admit that or simply don't see it as they just look into the shadows to see the noise.

In my camera profiling project DCamProf I devised a way to measure a sensor's color separation capability relative to the human eye, and the old 5D Mark II actually outperformed a D3x in that regard, while the D3x has much better signal to noise ratio of course.

Color is the hardest part to evaluate though, people just think random things based on personal taste without being able to quantify what they like. Color is only like 10% in the hardware, and then 70% in the profile and 20% in the raw conversion pipeline. The problem with Canon and Nikon etc is that few are using the manufacturers (boring) raw converters and instead use Adobe Camera Raw which haven't exactly put the same effort into getting good color out.

One of the key advantages of MFD such as Credo and Phase One is that they have Capture One and that they have truly excellent profiles made for their cameras. Hasselblad also have very well designed profiles. I don't believe much in the CCD vs CMOS "look" other than side effects in terms of noise quality, like Vinyl vs CD in audio. When it comes to CFA, the color filters, I've tried but have so far not been able to see that the MFD CCDs CFAs would be superior as the rumor says, but rather the other way around if any. It's been hard to get SSFs for them though so I haven't been able to do a full analysis so the jury is still out on that.

The CFA argument does remind me of what I often saw in audio, people that heard "large" differences between cables, but was in large unaware of the huge effects of the listening room had on the sound. With cameras people claim to see tiny tiny differences in a gradient being finer and containing more tones, but miss or is unaware of the huge differences caused by the profile design.

One might think that "how hard can it be to make a good profile?", wouldn't it just be to shoot a test target and then you're done? Well, the problem is as soon as you apply contrast, that S-shaped "film curve", color appearance is modulated. This is because in human vision system contrast and color appearance (mainly that of saturation) is tightly coupled. There are no established color science models to rely on there, which means that the profile designer needs to on their own come up with a suitable way to compensate the appearance changes. This is called tone reproduction, and this is where the bulk of differences between camera's color arises. Despite this few even know about this central challenge, I didn't before I got deep into profiling myself. Many consumer profiling software ignores this alltogether and just adds an RGB or RGB-HSV curve on top and just let it become what it becomes (ie not so good, and certainly not any way accurate or realistic).

On top of the tone reproduction problem is then the fine-tunings to make skin tones more flattering, landscape scenes pop more etc.

Camera profiling is still in most part an art, and I think the MFD manufacturers are lucky that this is the case because color is one of the central sales arguments. It's not really only about being "superior", I think it is as much about satisfying the taste of a particular customer segment. I think that photographers working with fashion photography, product photography and other classic MFD genres likes colors in a different way than say photojournalists.

And of course, Leaf has their own following that likes their designed look more so than Phase One's. I'm truly impressed that they managed to get Leaf files into Capture One without messing up the color rendition. More so from a business perspective than a technical. Too many times we've seen bought up brands be mistreated and lose the core values that attracted customers to it. I think Phase One has so far managed the Leaf brand well, they've understood that it's not only about the price.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 05:12:22 am by torger »

Chris Livsey

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 06:15:29 am »

On top of the tone reproduction problem is then the fine-tunings to make skin tones more flattering, landscape scenes pop more etc.

First apologies for decimating you most interesting post in quoting.
The selective quote implies that there is not one profile to rule them all, as in C1 there is a choice. Is that the case with the other makers software, which I am not familiar with, and implies are perhaps better tuned for colour than the monoliths?
Whilst still "playing" with the P45+ I have found the Flash easy Grey profile to be to my general liking, what does this say about my colour perception?  ;D

torger

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2015, 06:49:31 am »

The selective quote implies that there is not one profile to rule them all, as in C1 there is a choice. Is that the case with the other makers software, which I am not familiar with, and implies are perhaps better tuned for colour than the monoliths?
Whilst still "playing" with the P45+ I have found the Flash easy Grey profile to be to my general liking, what does this say about my colour perception?  ;D

Hasselblad is a bit special, they don't have a profile choice. Under the surface a profile (in a proprietary format) is auto picked based on white balance setting, but the look is the same throughout. It's quite close to neutral, with some adjustments like a slight warmup and saturation push of greens for example.

Most provide a choice of different looks though, which in many cases leads to that they overdo it and make really strong looks, I guess they're afraid that the customers won't notice a difference otherwise :-).

A profile look by nature apply it over the whole image with the same strength. This is in actuality very crude. For example a flat blue sky with low local contrast can look oversaturated while a sky scattered with high contrast clouds can look undersaturated with the same profile. This because of local contrast phenomena of human vision. That is it's impossible to make a single profile that's perfect for all images.

I have personally owned Leaf, Hasselblad and Canon, I don't have much experience of Phase One's looks. I think it's hard to evaluate on other's images as I then haven't experienced the real scene.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2015, 07:40:31 am »

That is it's impossible to make a single profile that's perfect for all images.

Indeed, the take home message, thank you.

But  ;) If that is the case does generating an individual camera/sensor profile oneself ( assuming non expert status of course) only provide a single "neutral" starting point, so how worthwhile is that?
If then that profile is only the starting point and more "tweaked" profiles will be required or is the C1 approach of choice of profiles then "styles" to achieve an overall look an equally valid approach?
This assumes we are looking for "pleasant" "pleasing" colour and not art reproduction flatness does it not?

We I  apologise for the OT discussion XF/Credo talk will resume shortly. But BTW, in the older backs the Leaf/Credo difference in price to Phase One has become minimal.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 07:43:42 am by Chris Livsey »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2015, 08:08:42 am »

Hi,

Adobe also has "hue twists" that is adjustments are made on hues depending on intensity: http://chromasoft.blogspot.se/2009/02/visualizing-dng-camera-profiles-part-3.html
Adobe Standardhttp://Camera Standard

Other raw converters probably do something to the same effect.

Best regards
Erik

Whilst still "playing" with the P45+ I have found the Flash easy Grey profile to be to my general liking, what does this say about my colour perception?  ;D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 08:11:50 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

torger

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2015, 08:48:31 am »

The original question in this thread has already been answered by Yair, so we can bring it as much off topic as we want ;)

Due to appearance phenomena a contrast increase is absolutely necessary if we want to reproduce a realistic look of a typical real scene. And then when we put in the "film curve" there, we get those color appearance changes as a side effect. The border between compensating for these appearance phenomena and applying a subjective look is certainly floating.

Experiencing the real scene the eye/brain have a tendency to even things out, a hazy horizon doesn't look as hazy in real life as in a photo, a green cast on tree trunks due to overwhelming green foilage may not appear as disturbing in real life as in a photo. I came across the latter yesterday, noting that the Hasselblad look adds in some magenta in the transition between greens to yellows-red so the greens end more abruptly. This causes an increase in color separation in a landscape scene, where the tree trunks had a green cast originally.

I've attached an example. The first is more accurate, the other is with the corresponding magenta boost, which you can see on the reddish bark on the tree trunks. However, you actually win a prize if you see a difference without layering both images on top of each other and making a swap back and forth. The individual adjustments of many of the better profiles often are this small, which also make them more all-around as they don't really severely mess things up even for images where the adjustments perhaps doesn't suit the subject. (There are other adjustments in there though so if we would toggle between a profile which is as neutral as possible and one will all adjustments the difference would be larger, the attached example just demonstrates this narrow magenta boost adjustment)

Anyway, when sitting at the computer flipping back and forth between the two alternatives and I would get the question "which one looks more realistic?". Then I know as I've studied this specifically that the one with a stronger green component in the bark is truer to the original scene, but my non-critical-not-into-making-camera-profiles-memory of the tree bark is that it's red in tone, so the one with the reduced green cast feels more realistic. Is this then a subjective adjustment to just get a more pleasing result, or do we compensate for a color memory phenomenon to achieve better realism?

Putting that discussion to the side for a while I think the concept of putting the look design into the profile is bad design. I think the look should be separate from the profile. That is the profile would just make the camera as "colorimetrically accurate" as possible, and then you could have looks loaded separately, perhaps have a special tab in the raw converter that are specially designed for the type of fine-tuned looks that are incorporated into a profile. The problem with many raw converters now is that the color adjustment tools available to the user are not really suited to make the fine-tunings for profiles. Capture One has the ColorEditor though which does allow for many of these adjustments, but you can't really design a film curve and compensate for color appearance changes in an easy way, for example.

That the look is embedded in the profile now is partly through tradition, choosing profile mimics the choice of film stock. And another perhaps more important reason is that the manufacturers differentiate their products in their own lines and from the competition by adjusting the looks, it's sort of a trade secret how they do it so exposing it in a GUI where the user could do further fine-tunings would take away some of the magic. You could then make the Credo 50 look exactly as the IQ250, just as the Pentax 645z as they share the same sensor (micro-differences due to lens/IR filter casts put aside), and I don't think the manufacturers would like that idea.

About making your own profiles, I've made a software solution for that so obviously I think it can be worthwhile. At first I did not have any features to adjust "look", but I have now. I do have a "neutral tone reproduction operator" though, that is a way to apply a curve while compensating for appearance changes so you get a neutral and realistic result automatically, which you then can further tweak manually if you like. The problem with many other profiling software out there is that they really only allows you to make reproduction profiles, as soon as you apply a curve you get an over-saturated look, you might still like that for effect, but then the bundled profile is most likely more well-balanced. The bundled profiles are always designed to have a curve applied.

If you enjoy working with tuning colors and do a lot of post-processing adjustments in photoshop etc, it does seem quite strange to start off with a subjectively tuned profile from the manufacturer, which is tuned in ways you don't really know how. Starting off with something as neutral as possible may feel more natural. On the other hand, as discussed above the border between compensating for appearance and memory phenomena and doing actual subjective adjustments is floating.

Today I cannot really answer what makes most sense - starting off with an automatically generated neutral profile, or one with subjective adjustments. What I can say though is that cameras look way more different than they would have to, looks are often a bit too strong. By making your own profiles you can more freely move between camera systems as you can make one camera look very similar to another, despite differing hardware.

torger

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2015, 09:14:05 am »

Hue twists, or actually chromaticity twists (ie changes in both hue and saturation along the lightness/value axis) is an interesting subject. This is often mentioned as a proof that the profile is designed for some subjective look, deviating from realism. This can be the case, but not always. If you try to make a profile which can represent a real scene as realistic as possible you will still get hue twists.

If we make a colorimetric profile for reproduction, with a linear curve, such twists indeed does not make much sense. Colorimetric tristimulus values for a color should not change in relationship because of a different exposure.

However as discussed we will for real scenes need to apply contrast, and as soon as we do that we get into the land of color appearance phenomena, and then we will notice that the shadow range appear a bit desaturated unless we increase saturation a bit more there. Thus to make a more realistic result we need to introduce a "chromaticity twist".

Another aspect is that the LUT in a DNG profile is operating in RGB-HSV. It's not perceptually uniform. Well, no standard color coordinate system is really truly perceptually uniform, but say if you design your profile LUT using some other coordinate system such as CIECAM02 JCh and then translate that back to RGB-HSV you will have some twists going on there just because the coordinate systems map colors a bit differently.

I've attached a small demonstration. The first picture is a colorimetric rendering with a linear curve. The other is the same image with a contrast curve applied, on the luminance only. Colors are kept colorimetrically equivalent. Still it looks like it's more desaturated, due to that contrast affects how the brain interprets colors. I did not have a good example laying around that shows that the shadow range looks even more desaturated and thus needs more compensation, but it can also be demonstrated.

So yes, in order to make a profile that looks good with a film curve, some sort of "hue twists" are necessary.

If we talk about "real" hue twists, that is actually changing hue based on luminance rather than just saturation/chroma, this is indeed also a common adjustment. It's very common to render midtones/highlights in a warmer tone than shadows. So far I'd put that into the subjective space, I haven't really seen any appearance phenomenon that calls for such a compensation, but I'm still in a learning phase on all this so I may change my mind on that :)

In all I'm very skeptical about matrix-only profiles for this reason. Today cameras have so good color filters that you can get a quite good colorimetric match with just a linear matrix. Some therefore advocate using linear conversions only. They forget about the contrast curve though. The only raw converter that I know of that allows adding contrast in a "perceptual" way (that is keeping color appearance constant) is RawTherapee, and that's because I just added that feature. Any other raw converter will add contrast through a simple RGB or RGB-HSV curve and thus change color appearance.

Adobe also has "hue twists" that is adjustments are made on hues depending on intensity
Other raw converters probably do something to the same effect.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 09:19:12 am by torger »

Chris Livsey

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2015, 10:26:56 am »

I've attached an example. The first is more accurate, the other is with the corresponding magenta boost, which you can see on the reddish bark on the tree trunks. However, you actually win a prize if you see a difference without layering both images on top of each other and making a swap back and forth.

No prize claimed but in specific areas, obviously deeper in the image where the cast is more noticeable, the "effect" is clear even on this ageing uncalibrated MacBookPro.
This has been most instructive. I am due to replace this machine soon and my priorities are changing to incorporate screen quality much higher up the list. OTOH I may just revert to B/W  ;D
The time taken to post is appreciated, I wish I was more computer literate to take advantage of your work directly but raw therape is a must try.

I was aware, probably from some or your earlier postings, of the clever tricks used by Hasselblad and indeed was looking S/H until a can't refuse P45+ came up. And here we go again, but, does the constantly changing profile, based on WB not only make "pleasing" colours out of the box but also increase the difficulty of manipulating them to personal taste later?
No axe to grind I use C1 but find Phocus most useful for Nikon D3 files.

eronald

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2015, 10:29:26 am »

There is much of what Torger says which is true, but I think the debate is not well situated.

One can twiddle the bits as much as one wants, but the degree of perceptual shoehorning is such that it's like talking about  1920 steel-needle phonograph reproductions of music. WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT COLOR, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT VERY LIMITED FORMS OF COLOR REPRODUCTION.

If I may be allowed a naive remark, why should a 20x30 cm  image of the woods I see on my computer screen compare in any "precise" way to what I perceived when I walked through the woods this morning? Would listening to a 1920  orchestral recording really compare precisely to the sound ambience in the concert hall?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2015, 10:58:50 am »

Hi,

On the other hand, human vision is also very limited and much affected by human brain. If I recall correctly, the M and L curves grossly overlap, so green red separation may be quite tricky in human vision.

Anyway, the discussion is off topic, but it is good that Torger explains that colour is much more about a "look" developed by the raw processor vendors than about basic sensor design. On the other hand I guess that Anders Torger is sort of an engineer who has studied the subject in some depth rather than a philosopher. BTW, I would guess a colour scientist is someone midway between an engineer and a philosopher.

Best regards
Erik

There is much of what Torger says which is true, but I think the debate is not well situated.

One can twiddle the bits as much as one wants, but the degree of perceptual shoehorning is such that it's like talking about  1920 steel-needle phonograph reproductions of music. WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT COLOR, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT VERY LIMITED FORMS OF COLOR REPRODUCTION.

If I may be allowed a naive remark, why should a 20x30 cm  image of the woods I see on my computer screen compare in any "precise" way to what I perceived when I walked through the woods this morning? Would listening to a 1920  orchestral recording really compare precisely to the sound ambience in the concert hall?

Edmund
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:04:58 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Chris Livsey

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2015, 12:26:15 pm »

Edmund

Both your examples are not intended to "compare" with the original scene nor with what you heard, obviously not live in 1920 anyway! They are intended to invoke a response in the brain that will "click". Many early acoustic recordings are of iconic performances and not hearing them in whatever current digital bit rate does not diminish their emotional impact. Likewise, to be extreme, seeing iconic work by HCB/Robert Frank in B/W does not diminish the impact of the work. Which of the two woods images best evokes that response? That is the "better" reproduction. Torger says the red of the bark, however subtle, is a trigger for that memory he has, and remember how elastic our memory is, and is constantly changing as well. How does this work if you never directly experienced the scene? I suspect you relate it to a close example you hold in memory, rendition of colour, however inaccurate, that triggers the "click" has worked, it may be a subtle change is enough to differentaite between a memory trigger and yet another picture of trees.

eronald

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2015, 01:27:39 pm »

Both your examples are not intended to "compare" with the original scene nor with what you heard, obviously not live in 1920 anyway! They are intended to invoke a response in the brain that will "click". Many early acoustic recordings are of iconic performances and not hearing them in whatever current digital bit rate does not diminish their emotional impact. Likewise, to be extreme, seeing iconic work by HCB/Robert Frank in B/W does not diminish the impact of the work. Which of the two woods images best evokes that response? That is the "better" reproduction. Torger says the red of the bark, however subtle, is a trigger for that memory he has, and remember how elastic our memory is, and is constantly changing as well. How does this work if you never directly experienced the scene? I suspect you relate it to a close example you hold in memory, rendition of colour, however inaccurate, that triggers the "click" has worked, it may be a subtle change is enough to differentaite between a memory trigger and yet another picture of trees.

Yes, yes. What  tried to say is that it is total bullshit to start talking about raw conversion, tone curves etc as if they actually mean anything - they have about as much absolute significance as the elasticity of a steel needle on a shellack record - they are necessary algorithmic transducers, employed in today's color capture process.  

Now what does happen is that people get told, by our friends with the big marketing budgets,  that this or that image is "artistic" because the vivid green of the foliage, and the bright orange weathered rendering of the deskbound "caucasian" american , or the lovely pale skin of the "asian" lady are memorable, culturally desirable, and thus consumers learn to love "Kodak" color, or "Fuji" color, and expect to see it in their imagery.

At this point, people in the engineering trades are stuck with finding ways to overlay totally artificial conventional color schemes over whatever data the instruments actually capture. But this is carefully hidden from the consumer, as Torger points out Having some tools out there which would allow people to play with renderings might actually allow the industry to evolve a bit in a positive way.

Btw, I do understand the psychophysics a bit, I have read the equations, I have taken courses, I have written a camera profiler and a whole profile editing suite, I have even sold hand-edited profiles, I have designed a measuring instrument, I have assisted a calibration company in their marketing efforts vis à vis major camera makers and imaging vendors, and I was an ICC member.  I was one of the consultants involved in designing the Colorchecker Passport, which many of you use.  

You know what all the big imaging companies are really good at?  Making money. They know that getting a bad proprietary model adopted by their userbase and then generating follow-on vaue through lock-in is ten times preferable -for them- than having usable extensible  color models out there. Do you think that an industry which cannot even agree on a common battery format is going to agree on a color model? These games have been played with raw formats and color renderings for years, and the head marketing guys who ensure the products are crippled by design are *really* the smartest kids on the block. And the smartest ones, the ones who have made the most money for their stockholders are not those found in Japan or in Europe, you know where they are.

I'm not saying that Torger or Erik don't understand engineering - they are doubtless ten times better at it than I could ever be. But the situation here is heavily constrained, and minor engineering differences just don't provide a really major change in user experience. Also, camera companies like Phase One or Nikon, Canon and Sony care quite a bit about the end-user experience. But they care even more about staying in business, and marketing spin - look at this very thread about whether a Credo back marketed by Phase One does or does not (????) work with a camera just released by Phase One. Of course, Phase One could sell XF bodies to customers of Credo and P+, and the engineers no doubt did their homework, but the marketing guys know that it might be even more valuable NOT to sell all these guys bodies, or at least only to some and not just now.

The only place were genuine improvements in color can be expected to come from is the digital cinema world, because digital cinema sells the user an experience, not a product.  

Edmund

PS. You want advice from a color professional on how to get better color? Hang out in museums a bit, go to a mall and look through the cosmetics stores, hang out with artists, go and take a couple of art courses. You won't get decent color if you cannot see it. I watch people go to the local museum to look at the paintings; for me it takes half an hour to start seeing the color shades, they have usually walked out after 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 02:45:59 pm by eronald »
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up