Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One News: XF Body, IQ3 backs, 35LS, 120LS, C1 8.3, Website  (Read 73971 times)

mi-fu

Re: Phase One News: XF Body, IQ3 backs, 35LS, 120LS, C1 8.3, Website
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2015, 11:20:29 pm »

Sorry for having more questions:

Where the XF body is made? Doug, can you elaborate more on the 5-year warranty also?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2015, 11:27:12 pm »

Sorry for having more questions:

Where the XF body is made? Doug, can you elaborate more on the 5-year warranty also?

No apologies; we're glad to answer any questions.
Design: Denmark
Mechanics: Japan
Firmware: Denmark

5 year warranty: any IQ3 XF kit comes with a 5-year value added warranty which includes loaner during any service or repair.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2015, 11:29:34 pm »

Hi DOUG,

Congratulations on the new system, it looks solid. The "limits" system for the aperture, the ISO and the shutter speed is easier to use and more flexible than the one in the D810. That is something.  I also love that Phase One is in the theory that you have to invest, and then get the benefits and not the other way around.  Phase presented a new camera, new Backs, new excellent lenses quite a day.

I have a question, (pointing me to the proper material will do too):

The auto focus system is new, there is something about "floating point" but in the videos I saw one of the photographers using focus /recompose.  What is the coverage of the AF points on the system? how many there are? What does it mean that the autofocus point(s) float? (I guess we are not talking math)

We were glad to see so many of the IQ3 features will be available to IQ2 owners.

Autofocus has two modes Center and Center-Spot. Both modes are physically represented with rectangles in the viewfinder for easy understanding of exactly what is being included in the AF engine.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2015, 11:30:38 pm »

Is there a hot shoe available when you are using the WLV or do you need to sync the old fashion way with cables? 

The built-in Profoto Air transmitter can trigger strobes when using the WLV (either Profoto Air strobes natively, or any other brand of lighting using an Air receiver). Or you can connect a transmitter to the sync port on the digital back.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2015, 11:32:05 pm »

Happy to see my one request of having the autofocus button actually where your thumb is and not "around the outside of the hump"

I also have been playing with putting autofocus on the front-face-of-camera button (not the shutter release on the index finger but the front button near your middle finger).

The combination of new buttons, new grip ergonomics, and complete/easy customization of what each button does is a big winner for me.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2015, 12:20:02 am »

For academic interest... Since basically P1 is "forcing" folks with P+ backs to upgrade perfectly fine backs to have a nicer body, what about folks who have the p65+ and DF+ to re-up to a 160 or 360? And are there improvements to the long exposure mode for the 360 sensor?

Not clear on your question.

P+ is not supported.

IQ260 and IQ360 are identical in long exposure performance.

If you have more questions please let me know.

barihunk

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2015, 01:24:30 am »

Not clear on your question.

P+ is not supported.

IQ260 and IQ360 are identical in long exposure performance.

If you have more questions please let me know.

I meant price/upgrade wise, since you were asking for specific back/body combinations in a previous post, and since the P +series won't be supported on the XF, so a p65+ user would have to re-up for an new back and body combination rather than the iq user who would be able to just do the body.

The XF itself looks great though. Wouldn't have been my choice to make it heavier but hey heavier feels more substantial right...

Sorry if I weren't clear enough before.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:29:47 am by barihunk »

JulianAndre

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2015, 02:31:30 am »

I have a few questions and perhaps somebody could help me.

I owned a P45 and then moved to a IQ160. Camera is still a AFIII.

1. So there is no upgrade option on the camera, so I have to buy that new. If I buy online the camera and keep my current back, what warranty do I have on the camera ? 1 year or 5 years ?

2. If I want to upgrade th IQ160 to the the IQ360 and buy the camera as well what do I get ? Warranty wise ? What do I get as accessories ? Case ? Backpack interior ? 2 batteries or 4 batteries? nothing ?

thanks a lot for the help!

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2015, 08:05:54 am »

Claims are that the LE mode of the 380 is significantly better than those of the 260 (which would not take too much IMO).  I noticed that the LE mode of the 380 starts at iso 200. 

With the 260, I had hoped that LE mode for iso 200 and 400 would produce a cleaner file in what I consider normal exposure ranges, say 1 sec to 1/250 of a sec, which did not happen.  Is there any possibility for this with the 380?  or will the results be similar to the 260? 

Thanks
Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

JoeKitchen

« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2015, 08:47:49 am »

Is the new Schneider LS 120mm a macro lens? 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2015, 08:54:40 am »

Claims are that the LE mode of the 380 is significantly better than those of the 260 (which would not take too much IMO).  I noticed that the LE mode of the 380 starts at iso 200. 

With the 260, I had hoped that LE mode for iso 200 and 400 would produce a cleaner file in what I consider normal exposure ranges, say 1 sec to 1/250 of a sec, which did not happen.  Is there any possibility for this with the 380?  or will the results be similar to the 260? 

Thanks
Paul

It's a good point, I wonder how much of that can be improved with firmware and raw processor upgrades.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Jeffery Salter

• Loving life one frame at a time.
    • Jeffery Salter
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2015, 08:57:10 am »

Hi Joe,

Yes the 120mm is a macro lens.  Here is a link to the Phase One site with all the info about the glass.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Products/Camera-Systems/Lenses/Schneider-Kreuznach-120mm-LS.aspx

regards,
Jeffery
Warmest regards,
Jeffery Salter
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeffery Salter
Miami, Fl. U.S.A.
photos:  www.jefferysalter.com
Blog: http://blog.jefferysalter.com/
Instagram: @jefferysalter

JoeKitchen

« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2015, 08:58:58 am »

Hi Joe,

Yes the 120mm is a macro lens.  Here is a link to the Phase One site with all the info about the glass.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Products/Camera-Systems/Lenses/Schneider-Kreuznach-120mm-LS.aspx

regards,
Jeffery

Thanks. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

jduncan

« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2015, 09:25:34 am »

We were glad to see so many of the IQ3 features will be available to IQ2 owners.

Autofocus has two modes Center and Center-Spot. Both modes are physically represented with rectangles in the viewfinder for easy understanding of exactly what is being included in the AF engine.

Ok. So to make sure I understand: We have a single central focus point, but it's improved.

Am I correct ?

Best regards,
english is not my first language, an I k

Doug Peterson

« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2015, 10:10:14 am »

Ok. So to make sure I understand: We have a single central focus point, but it's improved.

Am I correct ?

Yes.

The AF sensor is center of the frame only. The improvement in this autofocus is not the ability to do point focus off-center, but instead it is:
1) much faster
2) much more accurate (critical for 50/60/80mp at wide open aperture)
3) much clearer view of exactly what you are focusing on
4) the option to use center or spot (see #3)
5) easy for P1 to continue to improve via firmware

Autofocus is not something you can get a feel for from a spec sheet or article.

We (Digital Transitions) got a preview of this system a week ago, and seeing the autofocus performance we rethought our entire "launch plan." We've scheduled Phase One XF Events in NYC, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Denver, San Francisco, Miami, Birmingham, Philly, and DC.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2015, 10:11:51 am »

Yes the 120mm is a macro lens. 

For clarity:
- The Schneider 120mm LS Macro is the same design as the Phase One 120mm D Macro but with a leaf shutter
- The Schneider 35mm LS Wide Angle is a completely new design and much improved over the Phase One 35mm D

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2015, 10:25:58 am »

The IQ260 actually works at ISO 200 in LE mode when you dial ISO 140. It is basically a pull of 0.5 EV in post processing. You get exactly the same RAW data between ISO 140 and ISO 200 in LE mode of the IQ260.

I guess Phase One is now more honest this time so they just offer ISO 200 for the IQ380 straight away.

As the IQ380 is still a CCD, don't be too optimistic about the performance. I bet the dynamic range will still be worse than Canon in LE mode.

Good catch and I notice that the base on the 380 is now iso 50 no longer 35. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Jeffery Salter

• Loving life one frame at a time.
    • Jeffery Salter
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2015, 10:46:33 am »

Thank you Doug,

Looking forward to reading your field report on the Phase XF body and see the raw files from that superb looking Schneider 35mm LS Wide Angle.

The blue band was a nice touch.

regards,
Jeffery
Warmest regards,
Jeffery Salter
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeffery Salter
Miami, Fl. U.S.A.
photos:  www.jefferysalter.com
Blog: http://blog.jefferysalter.com/
Instagram: @jefferysalter

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2015, 11:15:52 am »

Having an excellent 35mm lens for my phase one SLR was what I always dreamed of! Wide angle was the Achilles hill  of MF SLR that's why many shifted to technical's. I very much hope this new 35mm fulfill our dream so we can have the cake and eat it too!

Doug Peterson

« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2015, 12:43:10 pm »

Having an excellent 35mm lens for my phase one SLR was what I always dreamed of! Wide angle was the Achilles hill  of MF SLR that's why many shifted to technical's. I very much hope this new 35mm fulfill our dream so we can have the cake and eat it too!

Can't wait to share the files we have from P1 for the 35mm. Even more excited to receive our first one and put it through its paces.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up