Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One News: XF Body, IQ3 backs, 35LS, 120LS, C1 8.3, Website  (Read 73970 times)

synn

• My fine art portfolio
Re: Phase One News: XF Body, IQ3 backs, 35LS, 120LS, C1 8.3, Website
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 08:44:52 am »

The body prices seem to be in the ballpark of the H5X body, which is quite nice, considering all the extra features one gets for the money (Within the realm of MFD).

The only missing pieces are some ultrawide lenses so that the portfolio is comparable to that of Blad. I hope those are coming at some point.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

gerald.d

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 08:50:37 am »

Looks like in this case I was not correct. Credo is not supported.

Wow.

What does that say about the future of Leaf?

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2015, 08:54:40 am »

Wow.

What does that say about the future of Leaf?

Major bummer for me as well. I am REALLY hoping that this is not an outright NO and more of a "Down the line" deal.
As far as I understand, Credo and IQ backs are technologically very similar and the major roadblocks have more to do with marketing than engineering.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2015, 08:55:42 am »

Correction to some of the earlier posts: The Credo is not yet supported. It will be. Must be the jet lag!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 09:51:15 am by Doug Peterson »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2015, 09:06:43 am »

I'll be asleep now for a few hours. The flight from Copenhagen to Los Angeles was not well timed with the launch. Feel free to leave any questions and I can answer them in a bit. For anyone in LA area you can see the XF tomorrow at our Phase One XF Launch event at Smashbox Studios.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 09:09:29 am by Doug Peterson »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2015, 09:07:11 am »

Love the waist high viewfinder.  Is there a way to take verticals (other then cropping) while using it?  
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Doug Peterson

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2015, 09:09:14 am »

Love the waist high viewfinder.  Is there a way to take verticals (other then cropping) while using it?  

Not really. It's still a 645 chassis, so you can't rotate the back. So use of the WLF for verticals will be awkward.

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2015, 09:14:25 am »

The lack of support for Aptus backs is unsurprising though still disappointing.

I understand backward compatibility issues and the costs/business trade-offs associated with this.  I think for products that initially cost so much there is an onus on vendors to go an extra mile in backward compatibility, though I can see that with some of the backs it might not be so easy.

As it is, Phase have to trade off the $10k+ I've been putting aside for a new body and lenses against the $0 they will now get from me, and I doubt if I am alone in having hoped for this option for the last couple of years. I guess they did the spreadsheet and that wasn't enough, so fair's fair in business as they say and there are many other options in cameras now.

Will the new lenses operate on the DF+ body?

@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

Doug Peterson

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2015, 09:15:38 am »

Will the new lenses operate on the DF+ body?

Yes.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 09:43:15 am by Doug Peterson »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2015, 09:55:15 am »

One more thing before I nod off. I cannot wait to share the Schneider 35LS sample files we have. It's that good.

tochnia

• t-e-o.net
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2015, 11:45:30 am »

What is difference between XF and DF digital back mounts? Only some extra contacts?
Or there will be need for some adapter to use IQ1 backs on XF camera?

"stay tuned for our article titled “Big Buttery Bokeh on the XF: the Contax 80/2, Zeiss 110/2, Schneider 110/2.8, Schneider 130/2.1, and Mamiya 80/1.9” in which we mount a Contax 80/2 to the XF with great results. "

Can I ask which lens is refered as "Schneider 130/2.1"?

Doug Peterson

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2015, 12:26:13 pm »

I'm back and feeling much refreshed!

What is difference between XF and DF digital back mounts? Only some extra contacts?
Or there will be need for some adapter to use IQ1 backs on XF camera?

No physical adapter required. A free firmware update will be required. There are new elements on the XF mount (additional pins for communication) and such but not that prohibit backwards compatibility. Likewise the IQ3 backs can mount to a DF or DF+ without physical adapter.

"stay tuned for our article titled “Big Buttery Bokeh on the XF: the Contax 80/2, Zeiss 110/2, Schneider 110/2.8, Schneider 130/2.1, and Mamiya 80/1.9” in which we mount a Contax 80/2 to the XF with great results. "

Can I ask which lens is refered as "Schneider 130/2.1"?

All details will be in the article coming in the next week. It's an oddball lens, manual focus and no aperture control. It's really just for bokeh buffs.

mi-fu

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2015, 12:32:43 pm »

Hi Doug,
Can you comment on the new AF system too? How big is the AF area?

alexluuphoto

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2015, 12:37:46 pm »

So the new iq3 backs are just the same backs as the iq2, but with 60 minute exposures and works with the new camera mount? So the image quality of the iq1,2,3 are pretty much the same?

Joe Towner

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2015, 12:42:10 pm »

+1 on the af question (area, speed, accuracy) microadjustments per lens?  I saw the hyperfocal programming possible on lenses - sounds amazing.

When will we see some side by side between the 280 and the 380? 

With the 100mp lens resolution claims, did you see an engineering prototype of said resolution??? (nda ready to be emailed)

How does mirror up work - more like the H body?

Vertical grip?  Is Air integrated or can you do the faster sync via the hotshoe?

Firmware upgrades - please tell me you don't need a grip to update this beast?

Way to work when the touch screen goes wonky?  When paired with the IQ3, is there a setting you can't control from C1?
t: @PNWMF

Doug Peterson

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2015, 12:48:26 pm »

Hi Doug,
Can you comment on the new AF system too? How big is the AF area?

It's a fairly small rectangle in the center of the frame.

The Viewfinder has two rectangles, one inside the other, that represent the AF Center, and AF Spot mode.

Unfortunately the two bodies I have with me have pre-production viewfinders so don't show the new etched pattern so I can't send an iPhone pic to illustrate.

Accuracy and speed are very big improvements but I don't know that any number would mean anything here (what would "twice as accurate" mean?) so if you're near LA, New York, Chicago, DC, Boston, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Denver, Philly, San Francisco, and Birmingham I'd come to our XF Launch Event and play with one yourself.

mi-fu

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2015, 12:51:36 pm »

thanks for the info, doug.

unfortunately im not in the states at the moment. but looking forward to trying it out some time later!!

Doug Peterson

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2015, 01:00:59 pm »

+1 on the af question (area, speed, accuracy) microadjustments per lens?  I saw the hyperfocal programming possible on lenses - sounds amazing.

Micro adjust (P1 calls this "focus trim") is available per lens model for older lenses, and per physical lens (by serial number) with the new Schneider Blue Ring lenses (35LS and 120LS for now).

When will we see some side by side between the 280 and the 380? 

We will be doing lots of sample tests as always, but I don't think 280 vs 380 will be high on the list.

The backs should perform nearly identically for short exposures, and for long exposures beyond two minutes there will not be any comparison since the 280 can't do more than 2 min (I'd argue it really can't go past 100 seconds in normal use, but it's dependent on what you accept noise wise).

But if I see early results that point to anything else significant I'll be glad to prioritize that test.

With the 100mp lens resolution claims, did you see an engineering prototype of said resolution??? (nda ready to be emailed)

The 100mp label on the lenses is not about an indication or advertisement of future backs, but a logical acknowledgement that at some point the resolution will be even higher than today. This is like predicting the sun will rise tomorrow. I do not think we'll see any new sensors this year, and I'd be moderately surprised if we saw one next year - no promises, just making my best honest guess.

How does mirror up work - more like the H body?

Lots of options:
- any hard button can be assigned to put the mirror up
- you can tap the mup icon on the touch screen
- you can tap the mup icon on the digital back camera controls screen
- you can tap the mup icon in Capture One's camera control screen
- you can put the body on Seismograph mode which is currently a take on [MUP + FP Up + Self Timer] and which, soon, will use the data coming from the 6-axis gyro/accelerometer to wait just long enough for the vibration to cease.

Vertical grip?  Is Air integrated or can you do the faster sync via the hotshoe?

No vertical grip at this time. There is a secondary shutter release (like all hard buttons it can be customized to do something else) but it is positioning more for WLF use than for vertical use. DT and P1 are both very interested to hear what level of interest there is in a vertical grip. If you look at the bottom of the camera there is a port ready for communication with accessories mounted on the bottom. So what happens will largely be a result of customer demand.

Firmware upgrades - please tell me you don't need a grip to update this beast?

You do not. Firmware can be loaded from CF card or using a USB dongle.

Way to work when the touch screen goes wonky?  When paired with the IQ3, is there a setting you can't control from C1?

Every setting is accessible without the touch screen (e.g. if your'e wearing gloves, or in the unlikely but not impossible case you describe of the touch screen "going wonky") using the dials and hard buttons. Nearly every setting is also available from the digital back. The only one that comes to mind at the moment which is not, is toggling between Classic and Simple display mode (simple only shows ISO/Aperture/Shutter-Speed and keeps the top of the camera very clean feeling while Classic also provides icons to immediately access functions like bracketing).

Joe Towner

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2015, 01:11:17 pm »

Thanks Doug, next round is on me.  The light meter built into the AF chip will make the waist level viewfinder so much more pleasing.

-Joe
t: @PNWMF

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2015, 01:24:54 pm »

Doug,

There are now 10 posts for back sales on the first page of the For Sale forum. Maybe it is time to go public on the upgrade pricing  so *everybody* knows what an older Phase back is worth.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up