Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One News: XF Body, IQ3 backs, 35LS, 120LS, C1 8.3, Website  (Read 73974 times)

Christopher Arnoldi

• http://www.arnoldi-design.com
Re: Phase One News: XF Body, IQ3 backs, 35LS, 120LS, C1 8.3, Website
« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2015, 03:38:30 am »

Yesterday I was at the Phase One presentation of the new XF in Luxemburg. I was impressed of the funktionality of the XF.
My DF has a lot of bugs. It has the second shutter. With the DF the camera feels like a car were the front and he rear part is Range Rover and the middle is Lada Niva.

I have ordered my XF yesterday :-)

aztwang

« Reply #141 on: July 02, 2015, 12:20:03 am »

I had an opportunity to play with one a few days ago. Very nice, feels good, love the programability and a very snappy A/F. The focus assist light was set at 50% power and someone focused it on me and DAM is that light bright. Really helps, I mean REALLY helps with A/F....I cant imagine the light at 100% power...LOL

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #142 on: July 02, 2015, 02:58:30 am »

Anybody know the price for new 35 lens,xf body and 80back?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #143 on: July 02, 2015, 08:27:02 am »

As I remember the new 35mm is list at around 6300.00 US dollar.  The XF is 7995.00 list.  I can remember seeing the list on the 380 but I only was focused on the upgrade pricing which sadly came back way too high for me. 

There is a trade in for the DF+ towards the purchase of the new XF where you receive 2000.00 for the old camera  This lasts until 08/31/15 at least per the announcement material. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #144 on: July 02, 2015, 10:17:02 am »

Anybody know the price for new 35 lens,xf body and 80back?

In the US...

List price for an IQ380 + XF + Standard Viewfinder + 80LS is $48,990. That includes a five year warranty on all components (back + body + lenses purchased together) with a loan provided during any repairs or service during that five years.

List price for 35LS is $6,490

Of course from there are many options and combinations.

For example list price for an IQ180 + XF + Standard Viewfinder  + 80LS is $40,990. At Digital Transitions we also create bundles where we swap the included 80LS lens for another lens (e.g. the 35LS) for the price difference between those lenses. There are upgrade and crossgrade paths available from most medium format gear, and leasing-to-own options. They body and back are, of course, also available for purchase separately (e.g. if you want to use the back on a tech camera, or if you already have a DF+ and a back and just want the upgrade your DF+ or buy the new body and use your DF+ as a backup).

I'd suggest chatting with your dealer about what options you have.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #145 on: July 02, 2015, 12:16:15 pm »

In the US...

At Digital Transitions we also create bundles where we swap the included 80LS lens for another lens (e.g. the 35LS) for the price difference between those lenses.

Not that it is being suggested by you, Doug, but just for clarity sake, the ability to swap the standard 80mm kit lens out with another lens for the difference in price is not an exclusive DT capability - any dealer in the US can do this for their customers.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

yashima

« Reply #146 on: July 02, 2015, 12:23:44 pm »

That actually would be a really smart move, since the 80LS can be picked up for quite a bargain second hand. 35LS wont be on used market for another while and would command a premium.

DucatiTerminator

« Reply #147 on: July 08, 2015, 02:19:35 pm »

In the US...

List price for an IQ380 + XF + Standard Viewfinder + 80LS is $48,990. That includes a five year warranty on all components (back + body + lenses purchased together) with a loan provided during any repairs or service during that five years.

List price for 35LS is $6,490

Of course from there are many options and combinations.

For example list price for an IQ180 + XF + Standard Viewfinder  + 80LS is $40,990. At Digital Transitions we also create bundles where we swap the included 80LS lens for another lens (e.g. the 35LS) for the price difference between those lenses. There are upgrade and crossgrade paths available from most medium format gear, and leasing-to-own options. They body and back are, of course, also available for purchase separately (e.g. if you want to use the back on a tech camera, or if you already have a DF+ and a back and just want the upgrade your DF+ or buy the new body and use your DF+ as a backup).

Not that it is being suggested by you, Doug, but just for clarity sake, the ability to swap the standard 80mm kit lens out with another lens for the difference in price is not an exclusive DT capability - any dealer in the US can do this for their customers.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

If one were to swap the standard 80mm kit lens with the new 120mm for example, would the 5 year warranty apply to the swapped lens/XF/IQ3 back combo? For reference, approximately how much allowance is given for the 80mm kit lens?
La gallina vecchia fa buon brodo

alexluuphoto

« Reply #148 on: July 08, 2015, 06:13:34 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwS_p_fUsck

i think the new camera body looks ugly

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #149 on: July 08, 2015, 08:02:16 pm »

Actually looks can be deceiving.  I like the look of the XF and plan to purchase one before the upgrade period expires.  The feature set, plus the fact that some future enhancements may be coming make it seem like a good long term body. 

Plus now that Phase has a great 35mm lens, the use of this body is even more appealing to me.  The XF and 35mm LS or even the 40-80mm LS would be a great solution for me, but for the cost of the optics. 

BTW, thanks for the video link, best video I have seen so far on the new body as far as someone using it and showing the new features.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

DucatiTerminator

« Reply #150 on: July 09, 2015, 12:14:36 pm »

IMO, I thought quite the opposite, especially seeing (and handling) it for the first time alongside the aging DF. In my hands, it did feel much better, and since I do the majority of my shooting handheld, this is rather important to me. My experience with medium format is relatively limited (RZ67 a long time ago) and I haven't really kept up to date with the format on the digital side of things. Even if I hadn't read the press release prior to attending the Digital Transitions event, I would have immediately gravitated towards the XF; after handling it, the mental financial calculator started kicking into overdrive, lol.

Alvin
La gallina vecchia fa buon brodo

MarkoRepse

• www.markorepse.com
« Reply #151 on: July 09, 2015, 12:38:11 pm »

Is the XF viewfinder any bigger than the DF?

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #152 on: July 09, 2015, 01:09:38 pm »

Is the XF viewfinder any bigger than the DF?

I like the XF viewfinder; my impression is it is less of a tunnel than the old finder.  Phase have made a genuine effort to turn this into a solid product rather than another refresh of the old Mamiya line. Anyone who wants to stay with Phase will welcome the upgrade to the XF.

On the other hand a complete Sony A7RII system with a couple of decent Zeiss lenses will probably cost as much as the XF body alone, can do high ISO and video when needed, and will use Canon lenses like the superteles too. It's no wonder we're seeing a bunch of guys here try the Sony experiment.

Edmund
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 01:19:26 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

MarkoRepse

• www.markorepse.com
« Reply #153 on: July 13, 2015, 11:18:25 am »

Sounds promising. Anyone used them side by side?

FelixWu

« Reply #154 on: July 15, 2015, 10:51:04 am »

Hi, first post!

I am new and have been doing crazy amount of research on MF cameras. I narrowed my option down to P65+ and DF+ body or the XF and IQ140 combo based on what I can stretch financially. Once purchase I will be sticking to the combo for at least 2-3years. What's the better option?

XF and IQ140 new
New Futureproof body, cropped CCD, awkward compatibility function wise...

DF+ and P65+ second hand
Discontinued body, nice full sized sensor, dated LCD screen with poor feature....

I plan to shoot portrait and some fashion editorials with them. What are your thoughts? How would you choose?

Thanks.

Felix

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #155 on: July 15, 2015, 11:04:58 am »

I am new and have been doing crazy amount of research on MF cameras. I narrowed my option down to P65+ and DF+ body or the XF and IQ140 combo based on what I can stretch financially. Once purchase I will be sticking to the combo for at least 2-3years. What's the better option?

XF and IQ140 new
New Futureproof body, cropped CCD, awkward compatibility function wise...

DF+ and P65+ second hand
Discontinued body, nice full sized sensor, dated LCD screen with poor feature....

I plan to shoot portrait and some fashion editorials with them. What are your thoughts? How would you choose?

Welcome Felix!

What do you mean by "awkward compatibility function wise"?

Will you be shooting mostly/all tethered or on location untethered as well? Is there a warranty on the DF+/P65+ kit?

How quickly do you shoot? The IQ140/XF will be a bit faster between frames and 40mp files are a bit faster to handle in post (though the difference is less than you'd think since a lot of work is done by proxy/cache in Capture One).

Have you tested each combination in a situation as close to your actual shooting as possible? That's really the best way to answer which of these combos best fits your needs/wants. Research is a good thing, but until it's in your hands it's all numbers/specs and other people's opinions/experiences.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:07:43 am by Doug Peterson »

FelixWu

« Reply #156 on: July 15, 2015, 11:18:20 am »

Welcome Felix!

What do you mean by "awkward compatibility function wise"?

Will you be shooting mostly/all tethered or on location untethered as well? Is there a warranty on the DF+/P65+ kit?

How quickly do you shoot? The IQ140/XF will be a bit faster between frames and 40mp files are a bit faster to handle in post (though the difference is less than you'd think since a lot of work is done by proxy/cache in Capture One).

Have you tested each combination in a situation as close to your actual shooting as possible? That's really the best way to answer which of these combos best fits your needs/wants. Research is a good thing, but until it's in your hands it's all numbers/specs and other people's opinions/experiences.

Thanks for your reply Doug.

Good advise on testing both out. I will be hopefully get my hands on the XF body next Sat as there isn't one yet here in New Zealand. I imagine I shoot mostly outdoor untethered. And by awkwardness I was referring to the lack of many XF features when paired with the IQ1 series digital backs. Will there be any chance to enable some XF features via FW updates in the future?

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #157 on: July 15, 2015, 11:46:58 am »

For portrait work, you won't have as big a disadvantage using a cropped sensor, compared to landscaping.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

JamesJetel

« Reply #158 on: July 16, 2015, 08:22:10 am »

I've just received my XF yesterday. I didn't have much time to waste at the dealer because I was rushing to a recce. To get it out there, I'm coming from a 645df body and am still using an IQ160. I have a particular disdain for the 645df, so there's a level of bias. My brief use yesterday will probably echo what has been said. However, I'm devoid of camera brand politics and have no delusions about a camera being magically related to photographic ability. I think my perspective is valuable as someone who is already invested, but still late to the Phase party, is a working photographer, and has no interest in whining. 

Overall impression: this is not a come to Jesus moment - meaning - If you are not already invested in Phase, I cannot see a compelling reason to do so given the quality of other offerings.
However, if you're already invested in Phase and need to shoot with an SLR, this is a Phase camera that is actually worth using. Albeit in ideal scenarios. It may even be the cheapest part of your kit(if you got a trade in deal)

Bring a 5dsr or a7ii along with it and you've got a really versatile kit. If we forget the price for a second and just look at the scenario. Phase, as a system, is geared towards people who have a strong idea of what they're shooting. (Read: professionals who have a predictable scenario). I bought Phase initially to use a tech camera and have expanded into portrait work, so most of the bells and whistles that are being touted don't apply to me on two levels. 1. My iq160 receives little to none of the benefit of XF's innovations. 2. I don't need most of them.

Compared to the DF - the XF autofocus is lightning. The centre weighted matrix still presents the same problems it always has, but overcomes the problems quicker. The build quality is beautiful and the ergonomics are much more thought out. Putting the camera together is simple and intuitive. Though heavier, it is much easier to hold and use vs the DF. The DF was awful and Phase should pay reparations to people who had to use them. The menus are sleek and confusing at first, and I can't change the ISO from the camera body. I need time to dig into the actual features contained therein, but I think the level of customization will ultimately be a huge plus. The viewfinder is big and bright, I feel like I can finally see what's in focus, even on my legacy 120 macro.

More to come if people are interested in hearing about it as I use it more. If anyone has any questions I'm happy to field them - not going to grab a iq360 with new lenses and sit around and photograph color charts and weird still life though. Next on my list is tethered performance and battery life.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #159 on: July 16, 2015, 07:42:13 pm »

I've just received my XF yesterday. I didn't have much time to waste at the dealer because I was rushing to a recce. To get it out there, I'm coming from a 645df body and am still using an IQ160. I have a particular disdain for the 645df, so there's a level of bias. My brief use yesterday will probably echo what has been said. However, I'm devoid of camera brand politics and have no delusions about a camera being magically related to photographic ability. I think my perspective is valuable as someone who is already invested, but still late to the Phase party, is a working photographer, and has no interest in whining.  

Overall impression: this is not a come to Jesus moment - meaning - If you are not already invested in Phase, I cannot see a compelling reason to do so given the quality of other offerings.
However, if you're already invested in Phase and need to shoot with an SLR, this is a Phase camera that is actually worth using. Albeit in ideal scenarios. It may even be the cheapest part of your kit(if you got a trade in deal)

Bring a 5dsr or a7ii along with it and you've got a really versatile kit. If we forget the price for a second and just look at the scenario. Phase, as a system, is geared towards people who have a strong idea of what they're shooting. (Read: professionals who have a predictable scenario). I bought Phase initially to use a tech camera and have expanded into portrait work, so most of the bells and whistles that are being touted don't apply to me on two levels. 1. My iq160 receives little to none of the benefit of XF's innovations. 2. I don't need most of them.

Compared to the DF - the XF autofocus is lightning. The centre weighted matrix still presents the same problems it always has, but overcomes the problems quicker. The build quality is beautiful and the ergonomics are much more thought out. Putting the camera together is simple and intuitive. Though heavier, it is much easier to hold and use vs the DF. The DF was awful and Phase should pay reparations to people who had to use them. The menus are sleek and confusing at first, and I can't change the ISO from the camera body. I need time to dig into the actual features contained therein, but I think the level of customization will ultimately be a huge plus. The viewfinder is big and bright, I feel like I can finally see what's in focus, even on my legacy 120 macro.

More to come if people are interested in hearing about it as I use it more. If anyone has any questions I'm happy to field them - not going to grab a iq360 with new lenses and sit around and photograph color charts and weird still life though. Next on my list is tethered performance and battery life.

Hi James - nice little write up. On target with my thoughts in a lot of ways. BTW - you can adjust ISO with the 3rd dial wheel, next to the rear buttons (see attached). Or customize a different button for that.

*Edit - James, I spaced on the fact you have an IQ160, so for IQ1 series, you're right, the 3rd dial won't control the ISO, so it must be changed from the IQ160 itself (or through C1).

Steve Hendrix
CI
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 11:58:47 am by Steve Hendrix »
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up