Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just received now Canon 5dsR, testing start to my CFV-50c, CF-39MS  (Read 2045 times)

chiek

• chiek imaging

received with Battery exhausted.   :-\ now charging...
chiek imaging, in Seoul, SOUTH-KOREA.
Sinar P2, Hasselblad CFv-50c medium format and a7R systems
major job is products shot, especially for electronic products.
but interested in Landscapes and Portraits, Still-life.
my hobby is Designing camera…
www.chiek.co.kr

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Just received now Canon 5dsR, testing start to my CFV-50c, CF-39MS
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 05:46:20 am »

received with Battery exhausted.   :-\ now charging...

Hi 'chiek',

Looking forward to your findings. From what I've seen sofar, the aliasing artifacts of the R model (with AA-canceling filter) seem less than expected, but that's probably because most shots were taken with narrower(diffraction generating) apertures. Do add some wider aperture shots if you can. Starting at f/4.5 the diffraction at the pixel level will become visible as loss of micro-contrast in the finest/low-contrast details, and it will increase for narrower apertures. This will require deconvolution sharpening to compensate, and up to a point restore resolution. It's easier to do that without generating artifacts with a camera that uses an OLPF (Optical Low-pass Filter or AA-filter).

Although I understand your main personal interest is in Product photography, it would have been nice to compare the 5DS with the 5DS R on an objectively quantifiable target, like my 600 PPI or 720 PPI printer versions (shot from 25 - 50x focal length distance). It would also show how much of a difference the Raw converter can make in dealing with the (inevitable) false color moiré (from any Bayer CFA sensor, but especially the ones without OLPF), and how it changes due to diffraction. Capture One Pro does a very good job in mitigating the false color artifacts and still extract maximum resolution, in my experience.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 12:33:09 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 07:04:34 am »

Very interested in your findings as I am now testing my D810/Otus combination against an ALPA/CFV-50c.

nazdravanul

• Stefan Iacob - visual artist
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 11:18:26 am »

I would also be interested in the D810/Otus vs CFV-50c vs 5sR combos, so please, put everything in here ....

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 11:28:18 am »

+1

I would also be interested in the D810/Otus vs CFV-50c vs 5sR combos, so please, put everything in here ....

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 01:38:20 pm »

chiek, anything to report?
I finished up my testing yesterday but am holding back on any conclusions until I do some printing. I will say that the color and resolution straight out of the back (before any PP) was impressive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up