Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon CPS  (Read 6752 times)

OutdoorsLover

• For the love of Photography!
Canon CPS
« on: June 01, 2015, 11:11:47 am »

Hi there,

Many, many years ago I had Canon's CPS (Canon Professional Service), but let it lapse because I found that I wasn't using it. I'm now thinking of getting it again, but am on the fence about it. I have more than enough gear to qualify for Silver, Gold or Platinum, and am leaning towards Platinum because I can send in more gear, and they pay for shipping.

How many of you Canon shooters have it? How often do you use it, and what have you been using it for? Suggestions on Gold vs Platinum service?

Thanks!

Jeff

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
Re: Canon CPS
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 12:10:42 pm »

I'd recommend looking at the comparison chart at http://www.cps.usa.canon.com/about_cps/about.shtml to see what the different levels offer versus what you think would be useful in your own situation. The gold level is a great deal if you'll be sending in equipment for maintenance service, but it some different plan features may be important to you.
- Dean

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 12:23:46 pm »

I am a CPS member and have been for years.

They opened a service center here in the Chicago area a while back so I'm now gold (was Plat) and I drop stuff off and pick it up. The service here is OUTSTANDING. I mean really outstanding.

OutdoorsLover

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 12:32:29 pm »

Hi Dean,

Yep, I'm familiar with the offerings. I'm just trying to get a sense of what others are doing, and why? How folks are using it (mostly for repairs, or for clean and check, etc.)?

Thanks,

Jeff

OutdoorsLover

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 12:34:27 pm »

I am a CPS member and have been for years.

They opened a service center here in the Chicago area a while back so I'm now gold (was Plat) and I drop stuff off and pick it up. The service here is OUTSTANDING. I mean really outstanding.

Allen,

I'm jealous. I'm in San Francisco and our nearest service center is in Irvine (near Los Angeles), which means that I have to ship all of my gear to/from. Not my favorite thing, by any means!

Jeff

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 12:40:07 pm »

Now I have a question for all the CPS users. How many of you are amateurs or weekend warriors who just make a little bit of money to pay for a lens or two, but who don't rely on professional photography jobs to pay the rent? I gather from reading the American CPS page that the services are for pro photographers who make the majority of their living from photography and related services (photo tour guide, teacher).

OutdoorsLover

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 01:06:44 pm »

Now I have a question for all the CPS users. How many of you are amateurs or weekend warriors who just make a little bit of money to pay for a lens or two, but who don't rely on professional photography jobs to pay the rent? I gather from reading the American CPS page that the services are for pro photographers who make the majority of their living from photography and related services (photo tour guide, teacher).

I'm a professional wedding & portrait photographer, and have been for 27+ years. However, it's not my primary source of income, as I have a full-time job. I watched too many of my friends who are full-time professional photographers struggle and ultimately go out of business. I never wanted to be in that situation, so I never put myself in that situation. I do about 15 weddings a year, and countless portraits. I'm a weekend warrior when it comes to landscape photography, which is my true passion and love.

Jeff

NancyP

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 02:54:49 pm »

My guess is that most people don't read the fine print or take it seriously, and that Canon is happy to have them do so:
From CPS USA, first line: "Canon Professional Services (CPS) provides exceptional support for full-time imaging professionals." Later, they mention, "self-employed or employee of imaging business".

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 03:47:55 pm »

Yeah it was always a PITA to send the stuff to New Jersey.
The folks here are just incredible.

Every time my stuff has gone in at has been for repair.

Full time commercial/advertising and own the business.

DeanChriss

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 05:00:08 pm »

Hi Dean,
Yep, I'm familiar with the offerings. I'm just trying to get a sense of what others are doing, and why? How folks are using it (mostly for repairs, or for clean and check, etc.)?
Thanks,
Jeff

I've used it only for repairs and checkups, and bother having it because of the expedited turnaround. But FWIW, the turnaround without CPS membership is still very good.

My guess is that most people don't read the fine print or take it seriously, and that Canon is happy to have them do so:
From CPS USA, first line: "Canon Professional Services (CPS) provides exceptional support for full-time imaging professionals." Later, they mention, "self-employed or employee of imaging business".

I'm self-employed in two different fields, one related to engineering and one to photography. Between both I put in many more hours than a full time job requires. Roughly 35% to 40% of my time is spent on the photography related side. Overall I'm very sure I average more than 20 hours/week on photography.
- Dean

NancyP

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 10:28:02 am »

I only asked, because I got the impression from some other sites that amateurs sign up for the service. I certainly have enough gear to qualify for purposes of quicker repair and for eventual trial of lenses, but to tell the truth, I haven't needed to repair any Canon gear - which is good! I might qualify for an imaging professional, in a way, but my day job imaging system is the Olympus DP25 / DP70 / DP 71 microscope-mounted cameras, plus a beat-up Rebel and EF-S 60mm macro on a copy stand (pathologist at teaching hospital) - all more than capable of publication-grade photos.

DeanChriss

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 12:26:57 pm »

... I haven't needed to repair any Canon gear - which is good!  

Except for one bone-headed incident on my part, every repair I've needed has been a Canon warranty or recall issue. None of these rendered the camera inoperable. For instance, in one case there was a recall for slightly different AF when a focusing point other than the center one was used. Canon seems to have a propensity for some initial "bugs" with newly introduced models. Perhaps all manufacturers do. Anyway, with that exception they have always been extremely reliable. When I've needed service it has always been exceptionally good and fast. In addition to being fixed, cameras have always come back completely cleaned and looking like new inside and out.
- Dean

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 02:51:14 pm »

Two years ago, my 50 f/1.4 suddenly stopped autofocusing after about 10 years of sporadic use. Last year, I dropped my 6D and broke off the command dial. I did standard Canon "send-it-in" type repairs on both. They fixed both of those problems so quickly and inexpensively that I was somewhat shocked. They even threw in a full sensor cleaning on the 6D along with the mechanical work.

I've teetered on the brink of joining CPS a couple of times, but so far, I just haven't seen the need. If I needed my Canon equipment to always be available for paying work, I might think differently.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 04:08:51 pm »

There is a free option with CPS.

NancyP

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 07:53:32 pm »

My 6D narrowly escaped significant damage recently - I slipped on a rock crossing a stream and fell with the camera hitting the rock hard on its left base corner - fortunately protected by a nice stout L bracket. Takes a licking, keeps on clicking! (showing my age)

LA30

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 05:59:03 pm »

I am no longer a CPS member as of a few months ago but I was for a few years. Currently there is a $100/year option and depending on what you are shooting and how hard you are on your gear the $100/year gives you lots of perks. I was able to get some loaner gear (5dm3, flash, 70-200) for the price of return shipping. I had a 5dm2 body that broke and it was repaired in 48 hours for an incredibly reasonable price. You would get a few clean and check coupons and discounts on repairs. I felt it was extremely professional and living in Los Angles it was an hour drive or by appointment only in Hollywood. Even if I lived elsewhere in the US I would do it if I shot a lot.

Now that I am with Sony... God Help Me  :-\

Ken

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 09:36:45 pm »

I've been a Canon CPS member since 1982. To be honest, It's not what it use to be. As you may know, in the early years, there was no fee. You could only be accepted by submitting tearsheets of your work spanning several years. In it's current incarnation, it seems to be almost another revenue stream for Canon. Even though the price of Platinum was reduced about a year or so ago, there are not as many advantages. I sent in a 1Dx and the 50/1.2, 85/1.2 and 70-200/2.8 II for cleaning and checking. I thought there might be some back focus going on with the 50 so asked them to check the focus with all the lenses with the body. I was shocked to get a bill for $900! and that was "discounted".

Probably the best reason for CPS these days is the loaner program. You get to try out new bodies and lenses. But, they track your use. You get three tries on something. Or, if you already own something, you don't get to borrow an additional. I had a shoot recently for which I wanted a 2nd 1Dx. I tried to borrow it, and they said no, because I already owned a 1Dx. I ended up renting the 2nd body from Lensrentals.com.

Basically, the program is decent, but not what it was in the past. As long as it might provide you with something useful, re-join.

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 06:11:06 am »

I've been a member (in Oz) since 1990. In fact I helped set it up (in OZ) when I worked there. The loan programme alone is worth it for me. I recently had to have my TSE 45 repaired and the discount on the repair was twice the cost of the annual membership.
Pages: [1]   Go Up