Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Arup Biswas  (Read 17256 times)

BJL

my thanks to Arup Biswas
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 07:49:26 pm »

Thanks for the article Arup; I agree with amolitor that it has the virtue of providing "actionable items";
My standard is to read it and ask myself "what concrete thing can I actually put in to action here?"
A few of the strategies are ones that I have also discovered to be useful, and I will try some of the others.

On the other topic if this thread: may I suggest that to improve this site by making comments, it is again worth following that standard of making concrete proposals that can be put into action, not just "down votes".

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
Re: Arup Biswas
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2015, 10:13:12 pm »

This was a thoughtful and gorgeously illustrated article sharing one artist's struggle through the process of finding vision and fulfillment.  If was a pleasure and privilege to read. 

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

NancyP

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2015, 10:44:32 am »

John Camp, paddling a canoe or large kayak along the Missouri and Mississippi is on the bucket list. First I have to get good at managing a small kayak in the smaller class I and II rivers locally, the Meramec River being a jewel with gorgeous views within 15 minutes of downtown St. Louis. And I would love to get good at shooting long telephoto from a kayak, because the birds don't mind you as much - lots of chutes and sandbar islands that form extremely rich environments for migrating birds coming along the Mississippi flyway. The sizable (900 acre) city park 5 miles from downtown and two blocks from my flat has had some 230 bird species spotted - apparently the migrants see this nice green spot with water, smack in the middle of a sea of concrete and small-lot houses, and settle in for a day. Central Park in NYC (750 acres) has the same "green island" phenomenon, with over 200 species recorded.
The area around Cape Girardeau has some favorite spots too - on the Illinois side there is the Shawnee National Forest with LaRue-Pine Hills (aka "Snake Road") area, "Little Grand Canyon" slot canyon hike, the southern of the two IL Horseshoe Lake parks, among others, and of course on the MO side, the Mark Twain National Forest and associated state parks, and Mingo swamp Natl Fish and Wildlife reserve.

Nelsonretreat

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2015, 05:57:54 pm »

These are wonderfully elegant and delicate photographs. Like so much good photography they look deceptively easy but they come from a lot of experience.
Thank you for sharing. I agree totally with all the points you make.
P.S.  I'm not as keen on the collage but can see the intent there.

abiswas

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2015, 10:55:29 pm »

Thanks to everyone for their kind and encouraging words! Thanks to LuLa and Kevin Raber for publishing my article. Photography is a passion and not a means of livelihood for me, so the countless hours I spend capturing these images and many more to produce an expressive print are rewarded when my art touches people's hearts like it did for many people in this forum. What bigger reward could I ask for?

Otto Phocus

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2015, 02:06:08 pm »

I am still struggling with the concept of capturing an emotion not a scene.  That's a tough one.

I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

stamper

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 03:21:25 am »

I am still struggling with the concept of capturing an emotion not a scene.  That's a tough one.

The emotion is all in a person's mind. If you capture a scene with two people in a passionate embrace who haven't met in decades then you will/should feel the emotion that the two people exhibited? There are other emotions that can be captured. Photographing Niagra falls from close up with a wide angle lens will mean that you are/should be awe struck therefore the viewer should feel the same unless they are emotionally retarded. :) ;)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 04:06:34 am »

The emotion is all in a person's mind. If you capture a scene with two people in a passionate embrace who haven't met in decades then you will/should feel the emotion that the two people exhibited? There are other emotions that can be captured. Photographing Niagra falls from close up with a wide angle lens will mean that you are/should be awe struck therefore the viewer should feel the same unless they are emotionally retarded. :) ;)

Seeing someone photographing Niagara Falls from close up with wide angle lens would definitely invoke strong emotions from all bystanders. Much safer to photograph that couple.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 08:45:31 am »

Why?

Otto Phocus

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 08:54:31 am »

Why?

I am getting better at recognizing interesting patterns, tones, colours ... in my landscape photography.  But when I look out over a landscape, I don't pick up emotions.  To me, nature is mostly unemotional.  To me, nature has its own beauty that is separate from human emotions.  It is hard to describe, hence my difficulty in understanding capturing an emotion in landscape photography.

I do capture emotions in my dog rescue photography.  In that context, the emotions are critical.

I guess it boils down to that in my perception dogs have emotions, rocks don't.   ;D
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

hsteeves

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2015, 09:17:27 am »

if not sensing emotion when I photograph a landscape is an issue, then I have it as well.  I am attracted to the design and trying to attach a human emotion to that design is foreign to how I approach an image.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2015, 09:56:25 am »

I am getting better at recognizing interesting patterns, tones, colours ... in my landscape photography.  But when I look out over a landscape, I don't pick up emotions.  To me, nature is mostly unemotional.  To me, nature has its own beauty that is separate from human emotions.  It is hard to describe, hence my difficulty in understanding capturing an emotion in landscape photography...

Have you checked your pulse lately? ;)

Of course nature is totally unemotional. By the same token, nature does not have its own beauty either. That we find beauty in nature is totally a human construction. The same with emotions; they are ours, not nature's, but something evoked by nature.

Nobody is expecting you to "capture an emotion, not a scene." But we are hoping that you could capture a scene that will evoke an emotion. Though it will be difficult if you do not pick up emotions in you, while looking over a landscape.

If we are only good at "recognizing interesting patterns, tones, and colors," chances are we are bar-code readers, or light meters, not humans  ;)

amolitor

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2015, 10:01:09 am »

Part of the trouble with traditional landscape art is that the emotion in play boils down to 'Wow!' which is a bit thin after a while.

You can call it 'sublime' instead which helps a little, but that's a temporary patch.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2015, 10:15:37 am »

Part of the trouble with traditional landscape art is that the emotion in play boils down to 'Wow!' which is a bit thin after a while.

I agree that a wow factor thins after a while, but are you sure that applies to "traditional landscape art" not contemporary landscape photography, exemplified, for instance, in 500px? I have yet to see a "traditional landscape art" with a wow effect. Granted, that could have been a reaction to first impressionistic paintings, but more in the sense of "Wow, how dare they paint like that!."  ;)

Otto Phocus

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2015, 10:59:30 am »

Perhaps, in order to understand this, we need to understand and agree on what is and ain't an emotion.

To me, I was not considering appreciating the patterns of a landscape scene to be an emotion.  But I can understand how some other people may.

What I was struggling with was looking at a landscape scene and deciding that this scene depicts "hope", "sadness", "optimism", those sort of emotions which I have seen used to describe landscapes.

So perhaps I am approaching the issue inappropriately.  It would not be the first time!  :-[

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2015, 01:06:22 pm »

... To me, I was not considering appreciating the patterns of a landscape scene to be an emotion...

I can help you with that. Check the following book, my unlikely photographic bible:

Picture This: How Pictures Work

Everyone knows that a picture tells a thousand words. But what about the elements that make up a picture? Using the tale of Little Red Riding Hood as an example, Molly Bang uses boldly graphic artwork to explain how images—and their individual components—work to tell a story that engages the emotions: Why are diagonals dramatic? Why are curves calming? Why does red feel hot and blue feel cold?

amolitor

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2015, 01:26:20 pm »

Well, I think of "traditional landscape art" are Turner and Adams, which is probably a pretty limited viewpoint ;)

Both were pretty much all about the sublime in nature, or something like that, which I am freely interpreting as "wow" or possibly "oooooo!"

Contemporary landscape photography seems to mostly be about ticking off checkboxes to make your picture look like other pictures you've seen. It appears to be to execute the process well, rather than to create something particularly new. In much the same way someone like me enjoys simply grinding out a workmanlike interpretation of a simple Bach piece at the piano, I think. I have no new interpretation, the pleasure is simply in getting the notes right with a fair approximation of the expression as notated.

The astonishing thing to me is that people sell this stuff.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2015, 01:28:25 pm »

I can help you with that. Check the following book, my unlikely photographic bible:

Picture This: How Pictures Work

Thanks for the link, for that price getting this book is a no brainer.

I like the Photographer's eye/mind set of books too.  But I will add this one to my library.

Thanks.

Isaac

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2015, 07:36:33 pm »

Contemporary landscape photography seems to mostly be about…

Not really -- Landmark: The Fields of Landscape Photography

Isaac

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2015, 06:28:55 pm »

Perhaps, in order to understand this, we need to understand and agree on what is and ain't an emotion.

"emotion: a strong feeling such as love or anger, or strong feelings in general"

Probably not those feelings; possibly something as strong as a feeling of fear or a feeling of safety; frequently a feeling of calm, a feeling of wonder or delight, curiosity; perhaps a feeling of spaciousness or constriction; timelessness …

"wow: used to show surprise and sometimes pleasure"

Seen one sunset … look forward to the next.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up