Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glitch on LuLa home page.  (Read 3594 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Glitch on LuLa home page.
« on: May 31, 2015, 01:48:56 pm »

I reported this a while back but it seems to have been overlooked.

On the home page there is a slide show near the top, directly under the main menu, and below that a photo associated with the featured article (currently dogwood flowers). When the page initially loads, the 2nd photo (dogwoods) is displayed at the top, where the slide show is supposed to be. Then about 1/2 second later, the slide show appears and the 2nd photo shifts down to its intended location. This happens in both Firefox and IE. Surely it's not intentional?

mbaginy

Re: Glitch on LuLa home page.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 02:34:11 pm »

Same performance here, using Safari.  Doesn't really bother me though.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 03:03:55 pm »

It's the way the site loads.  Speed of connection has a lot to do with it.  The reason is we are loading high red images for the top photos so you can see them in larger size they take just a bit longer to upload.  It's worth the very short wait to see the larger images.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

PeterAit

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 05:57:40 pm »

It's the way the site loads.  Speed of connection has a lot to do with it.  The reason is we are loading high red images for the top photos so you can see them in larger size they take just a bit longer to upload.  It's worth the very short wait to see the larger images.

Kevin Raber

Back from my web programming days I seem to remember that there is some way around this. It had to do with writing a script to preload large images before the page rendered. Sorry, I don't remember any more details but perhaps your web wiener knows.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 01:29:04 pm »

I understand that, Kevin; it's not the delay in loading which bothers me, though, it's the fact that things jump about when the loading is complete. Could you not put a placeholder there, so everything below comes up in the right place? It could say "great image loading: have patience, as it will be worth the wait".

Jeremy

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 03:41:20 pm »

I reported this a while back but it seems to have been overlooked.

On the home page there is a slide show near the top, directly under the main menu, and below that a photo associated with the featured article (currently dogwood flowers). When the page initially loads, the 2nd photo (dogwoods) is displayed at the top, where the slide show is supposed to be. Then about 1/2 second later, the slide show appears and the 2nd photo shifts down to its intended location. This happens in both Firefox and IE. Surely it's not intentional?

Perhaps the reason it was overlooked is because it is picking at an insignificant nit.  I realize that it takes an entire half-second out of your life, but surely you can spare it.  It took you longer than that to write about it.

PeterAit

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 04:27:23 pm »

Perhaps the reason it was overlooked is because it is picking at an insignificant nit.  I realize that it takes an entire half-second out of your life, but surely you can spare it.  It took you longer than that to write about it.

Do you really think it has to do with the 1/2 second delay? C'mon, be serious - duh! It has to do with the site looking amateurish and with having things jump around on the screen. I do not like fixing my eye on a photo only to have it immediately vanish and be replaced with something else. If you do not understand this, so be it.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 02:59:19 am »

The code has been 'tweaked'. Let us know if it has improved things.

Chris

PeterAit

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 07:45:03 am »

The code has been 'tweaked'. Let us know if it has improved things.

Chris

Seems the same as before - perhaps a slightly shorter delay, can't be sure.

stamper

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 08:21:10 am »

Seems the same as before - perhaps a slightly shorter delay, can't be sure.

Time to chill out?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 02:31:25 pm »

I understand that, Kevin; it's not the delay in loading which bothers me, though, it's the fact that things jump about when the loading is complete. Could you not put a placeholder there, so everything below comes up in the right place? It could say "great image loading: have patience, as it will be worth the wait".

I see that this is now fixed and the jumping around has gone: thanks.

Jeremy

PeterAit

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 08:42:56 am »

I see that this is now fixed and the jumping around has gone: thanks.

Jeremy

It's not actually gone, at least for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up