Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Infrared Field Patterns 2015  (Read 2344 times)

leuallen

Infrared Field Patterns 2015
« on: May 31, 2015, 11:47:36 am »

I enjoy scouting the backroads looking for fields that have newly planted crops that form interesting patterns. Photographed with an infrared converted camera (m4/3) and usually a long focal length. On a tripod so that images can be stacked. Processed in Silver Effects Pro aiming for high contrast so that the patterns stand out.

This is my second year of doing such and I found it harder because I did not want to repeat what I had done the first time.

Larry

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
Re: Infrared Field Patterns 2015
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 12:55:20 pm »

Great images  :o

¿ How do you modify a camera for infrared ?

¿ Take out the UV/IR filter and add a filter which lets pass the light starting at about 600nm ?
Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

leuallen

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 02:25:20 pm »

Rainer SLP

You have the camera modified by a company that specialized in the conversion. When you get a new camera and the old one is not worth selling, convert it. It costs about $250. This is the only practical way. Using filters does not allow enough sensitivity to hand hold. This method, depending upon the camera, gives shutter speeds of 250 to 1000 at f5.6 even on overcast days.

One thing to watch out for is that certain lenses will cause hot spots at the center of the image. Another is that infrared does not focus the same as visible light. I don't know if this causes problems with phase focusing as found on DSLR's or not as I use mirrorless where there is no problem.

Larry

mbaginy

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 02:45:13 pm »

Nice images Larry!!

I've got a Panasonic GF1 with 20/1.8 lens which I don't use anymore.  Maybe a candidate for IR conversion.  Need to check who offers this in Germany.

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 03:09:04 pm »

Rainer SLP

You have the camera modified by a company that specialized in the conversion. When you get a new camera and the old one is not worth selling, convert it. It costs about $250. This is the only practical way. Using filters does not allow enough sensitivity to hand hold. This method, depending upon the camera, gives shutter speeds of 250 to 1000 at f5.6 even on overcast days.

One thing to watch out for is that certain lenses will cause hot spots at the center of the image. Another is that infrared does not focus the same as visible light. I don't know if this causes problems with phase focusing as found on DSLR's or not as I use mirrorless where there is no problem.

Larry

Hi Larry, Thanks. Well I have 2 modified DSLR's for astrophotography and they lack of the UV/IR filter. Maybe it is time to take of the dust and reactivate them  ???

Yes the focusing plane moves a bit. As that is no problem I will have to find out what to do using photography lenses ...

¿ What is the name of the company which converts the cameras ?

Thanks
Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 04:27:29 pm »

Great stuff, Larry!  :)  The tonality & texture enhance the subject matter very well.

-Dave-

leuallen

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 04:45:55 pm »

Mike D. B.

The GF1 would be a good candidate. Mine is a Pana G1 which I believe has the same sensor. The 20mm I don't know about 8), the fun for me starts at about 100mm on up although I have gotten some good stuff with the kit lens, just not field patterns.

One other thing, I use the 720nm filter. I am interested only in the B/W conversions, the false or wild color filters don't interest me.

Larry

spidermike

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 06:21:40 am »

Yeah, that is where I had to do a lot of thinking: 920nm would give almost pure monochrome IR but I went to 720nm and at least have some option on trying false colour. 
I have used my converted Panasonic GX1 only really for classic landscapes - I really hould try more with the telephotos.

Thank you for posting - it has reignited my wish to get out there (especially with the summer coming on). Mind you, I did get some un-touristy IR shots of Maccu Picchu earlier in the year. 

stamper

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 06:39:06 am »

Great stuff, Larry!  :)  The tonality & texture enhance the subject matter very well.

-Dave-

Agreed.

mbaginy

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 06:46:33 am »

Mike D. B.

The GF1 would be a good candidate. Mine is a Pana G1 which I believe has the same sensor. The 20mm I don't know about 8), the fun for me starts at about 100mm...

Thanks Larry.  I won't invest in another lens for M4/3 but I'll invest in an IR conversion.  I understand your reference to when the fun begins.  ;)  Mine may be somewhat limited.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 08:46:20 am »

Very Nice Set indeed.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 01:12:40 pm »

I love the patterns, Larry. I must get my old 20D converted.

Jeremy

polaris-14

• Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 02:36:31 pm »

Now this gets me thinking of converting my X100 to an IR camera. Last time I used it, I suspect there is sticky shutter issue though..
Adhika Lie
Website | Flickr

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 02:56:04 pm »

I'm sure you all know the trick to convert an image to infra-red.  I like to render my photographs this way, but it's not the same as an actual IR camera.  I'd love to actually have a convert.  #3 is quite nice for me, adds contrast to the minimal, and fine art look of the other 3, but of course depends on what your target is.  They all are good for me.  Thanks for showing.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 12:49:24 am »

Excellent stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up