Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apples Color Sync  (Read 10675 times)

dumainew

Re: Apples Color Sync
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2015, 01:22:48 pm »

Hi Mark,
I did as you suggested, letting the printer manage the color. The new print was also deficient in red.
A senior PS engineer suspects it's either a driver problem or a OS profile cache problem.
Would you call Apple for help: then get a new profile if it's not the PC ?
(A little lost)
Thanks again for your help.
Richard

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2015, 03:15:47 pm »

Driver problems are probably easier to deal with than OS problems: trash the whole Epson installation, re-download it from the Epson website, re-install and retest. If that solves the problem - you're done. I have no expertise on OS cache issues so can't advise, but can't do any harm contacting Apple if the driver turns out not to be the issue.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

hugowolf

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2015, 07:18:09 pm »

Hi Mark,
I did as you suggested, letting the printer manage the color. The new print was also deficient in red.
A senior PS engineer suspects it's either a driver problem or a OS profile cache problem.
Would you call Apple for help: then get a new profile if it's not the PC ?
(A little lost)
Thanks again for your help.
Richard

Interesting. I did hear, on another forum, of another Mac user who was having problems with it picking up older profiles, even though he had replaced them with newer ones. You could try renaming the profile, just ot make sure it is picking up the correct one.

I have a profile renamer at work, but I can remember what it is called at the moment. Just changing the file name doesn't change the internal name, the one the appears in your printing app.

Brian A

howardm

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2015, 08:29:33 pm »

On a Mac, you can Open/Save the ICC profile in the ColorSync Utility and rename it's internal 'desc' field.  No need for a special editor.  Be sure to change the filename and the desc field internal name.

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2015, 02:50:54 pm »

It isn't quite that easy. If you just change the 'desc' field with TextEdit, then close and re-open the profile, you'll see that the description is as it was before. To change it, you need sips, a command line tool that resides in the vaults of the System. The syntax is:
 sips -s description intended_profile_name path_to_profile's_current_Finder_name.icc.
 If you put sips and the profile in the same folder, your intended name is 'Profile_Name.icc', and the current Finder name of the profile is 'Finder_Name.icc', then the command is:
./sips -s description Profile_Name.icc Finder_Name.icc .
Note the dot-slash before sips.

Good light!

howardm

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2015, 03:00:28 pm »

I wasn't referring to using TextEdit to do the editing/change.  It can be done directly inside of ColorSync Utility w/o using sips.

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2015, 08:24:48 pm »

Sorry, my mixing in TextEdit was a mishap. - But: I have a profile called 'Canon_5D2_153_lin_IN' in the 'desc' 'ASCII Name' field. If I open the profile in ColorSync by double-clicking, then change the name to 'Canon_5D2_153_lin', then close the profile and re-open it, the '_IN' is back in place. ??

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2015, 08:27:09 pm »

Sorry, my mixing in TextEdit was a mishap. - But: I have a profile called 'Canon_5D2_153_lin_IN' in the 'desc' 'ASCII Name' field. If I open the profile in ColorSync by double-clicking, then change the name to 'Canon_5D2_153_lin', then close the profile and re-open it, the '_IN' is back in place. ??
howardm is correct about having the ability to change the internal name with the CS utility. You have to change both areas of the profile and select Save. Then change the Finder name, the internal name should be seen in app's like Photoshop after saving via the CS utility.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2015, 04:33:24 am »

Thanks, Andrew. - Indeed, if I write the intended name as both 'ASCII Name' and 'UniCode Name', it works. That's very confusing indeed, since the UniCode field is empty in my profiles to begin with.
Learn something new every day!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up