Equipment & Techniques > Beginner's Questions

Bags for travel with 2 Profoto B1, stands, backdrop stands and bar?

(1/1)

nicemate1:
Hello !

I am trying to figure some new logistics for my travel assignments : )

I am currently travelling with a Canon 5MII with 2 lenses, and 2 Profoto B1 with a few accessories (1 octa 90cm, 1 med. deep umbrella).
The above material fits in a big Lowepro camera bag, but not the stands, which I put my clothes suitcase, together with the flash accessories, such as
the umbrella.

However,  I don't feel comfortable with these stands that I am currently using, (manfrotto 1052 BAC), because, although
they fit in the suitcase, they are really not strong enough to hold the flashes, and they don't go high enough in some situations.

So I am looking for a new, very resistant bag, with wheels, in which I can fit 2 Profoto B1, 2 Manfrotto 004 stands,
2 smallers stands with the telescopic crossbar and backdrop cloth, flash accessories and, possibly, my camera with 2 lenses.
If the camera and lenses can't go in this travel bag, I will put them in my smaller, cabin luggage.

Has anyone tried different big bags for transport?

best, Pietro

mbaginy:
Don't know if the video from Scott Hargis may help you, but it's surely quite interesting what he takes to photo shoots and how he packs the gear.  Maybe a bit more than you'll travel with.

Here's the link, scroll down a bit:  http://blog.scotthargisphoto.com

Ken Bennett:
Hi, Pietro,

There are many choices in rolling cases made for photo lighting. I like the cases from Think Tank Photo in the USA - I have the Logistics Manager, which easily handles all my lights, but it's not long enough for tall light stands (it will handle 4-section 8 foot stands but not the 11 foot heavy duty stands). They make a larger case that might work.

Tamrac and I think Lowe also make rollers. Manfrotto makes several that might work, too -- the medium, large, and there is also an extra large.

The key is to lay out your gear and figure out the dimensions -- with this sort of case, the length (longest dimension) is usually the most important, and of course make sure you check the *inside* length, since it's often shorter by a couple of inches than the overall length.

Now that I look at it in detail, that Manfrotto case looks like a pretty good deal. These are not cheap cases, but that's not bad. You can also look around the B&H web site for ideas on other manufacturers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version