Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice wanted: 100mm macro lens for Canon?  (Read 7961 times)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Re: Advice wanted: 100mm macro lens for Canon?
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 09:14:12 am »

I have and have used rotating tripod collars, L brackets, and macro rails. Each has its purpose, and there is some overlap in their utility. For me when doing close 1:1 macro work, I like to have a tripod, macro rails and a tripod collar. That gives me essential unlimited degree of freedom to move and orient the lens. The downside (and I think its a big one when shooting insects) is that all that stuff takes time to set up, and can be a pita when trying to capture small fast moving spiders and insects.

Re: 180mm macros. I haven't used one, but have put extension tubes on my 70-200mm L zoom lens. I know, not the same as a true macro. From this limited experience, I don't think a 180mm is right for what I do, especially when shooting inside. I simply don't have enough wiggle room to move around and back with that focal length in my indoor "studio", aka my small basement. I haven't given the 70-200mm with extension tube much time outside in the field. So, maybe, it's worth fooling around with (if it ever stops raining).

Again, thanks to all and your informative replies. I appreciate your help.

Best,
         Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

stever

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2015, 02:46:07 pm »

when I need a long macro I use the 70-200 f4, and now the new 100-400 II with the Canon 500D converter - extension tubes don't work so well on long lenses

focus range for the 70-200 with converter is about 13-19 in, 10-20 in for the 100-400 (in both cases regardless of focal length).  converter gives almost 3x magnification on the 70-200 and a little over 2x on the 100-400 (which is closer focusing to begin with)

telyt

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2015, 04:02:10 pm »

when I need a long macro I use the 70-200 f4, and now the new 100-400 II with the Canon 500D converter - extension tubes don't work so well on long lenses

Extension tubes work fine on long prime lenses.  It's zooms that don't work well with extension tubes.

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2015, 09:19:55 pm »

I have and have used rotating tripod collars, L brackets, and macro rails. Each has its purpose, and there is some overlap in their utility. For me when doing close 1:1 macro work, I like to have a tripod, macro rails and a tripod collar. That gives me essential unlimited degree of freedom to move and orient the lens. The downside (and I think its a big one when shooting insects) is that all that stuff takes time to set up, and can be a pita when trying to capture small fast moving spiders and insects.

Re: 180mm macros. I haven't used one, but have put extension tubes on my 70-200mm L zoom lens. I know, not the same as a true macro. From this limited experience, I don't think a 180mm is right for what I do, especially when shooting inside. I simply don't have enough wiggle room to move around and back with that focal length in my indoor "studio", aka my small basement. I haven't given the 70-200mm with extension tube much time outside in the field. So, maybe, it's worth fooling around with (if it ever stops raining).

Again, thanks to all and your informative replies. I appreciate your help.

Best,
         Bob

It's not even close to the same thing.

But good luck.

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2015, 09:21:01 pm »

Concerning the 180mm macro of whatever maker - you have a substantially longer working distance - good for insects poisonous and other snakes, and nice narrow angle of view/ maximum bokehliciousness -  maybe a PITA if you have not a lot of available working distance in a studio for close-ups in the 1:5 to 1:2 (or use on a copy stand or to shoot artwork with a flat-field lens), or if you are in a field and have to pull all the interfering grass stems out of the way and keep them pinned back to get a clear shot of your subject. Yes, I have been shooting prairie wildflowers recently.  ::)

True  :D
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up