Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 30" monitor suggestions - new NEC model, are refurbished NEC's high quality?  (Read 1840 times)

NickJB

My NEC 2690WUXi is about due to be replaced. As I shoot a lot of high volume work, editing 1000+ images per day of shooting, I'm looking at a 30" monitor so I have maximum screen real estate to make selects. I really like my NEC and the SpectraView software (with i1), so considering the new NEC monitor, the PA302.

What other monitors should I consider in this quality and price range?

Is a refurbished monitor a good option? I've had good luck with refurbed Apple and Canon gear, and I know those 2 manufacturers run their refurbished equipment through a series of stringent checks, in fact they're often considered better quality as they can have a higher quality of tests run on them, but monitors are something I'm not as familiar with in the refurbished market. I'd be looking at buying direct from NEC, not a 3rd party.

(Would love to hear Digital Dog's thoughts!)

Thanks!

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

Get a SpectraView  :)
I've never purchased a refurbished display but have other hardware with good results. Not sure I'd go there without knowing how many hours of use were on the panel. 
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

NickJB

Absolutely!
I've got the i1 and SpectraView II for the old NEC Multisync I'm replacing.
Actually, I've discovered that I can buy a brand new, with 4 year warranty, PA302 for just $40 more than the refurb, so I'm going to go that route. Although I spoke with NEC tech support (good folks!) and they said they do a thorough quality control of the refurbs before selling. If the savings were more significant, I think I'd be comfortable with the refurb, but $40 for 3 years extra warranty (reforms have 1 year warranty), is a no-brainer!

I'd love to get the NEC 32", but I've read about too many issues, especially with Mac's (will Apple please pull their collective fingers out and make a real graphics computer and OS again....).

Pages: [1]   Go Up