Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: experience with Innova Photo Smooth paper?  (Read 9284 times)

nma

experience with Innova Photo Smooth paper?
« on: February 10, 2006, 01:48:16 pm »

I am interested in making a high quality photo album. A search has yielded a potentially interesting product-- Innova OPUS Digital Fine Art Albums for photos, presentations and memory books.

Innova offers Photo Smooth Cotton for album pages, "A bright white, silky smooth paper that is 100% cotton rag and acid free. The surface makes it ideal for both photo and digital fine art reproductions. Available in three weights: 215 gsm, 315gsm, and 450gsm and new Duo (dual-sided)."

Anyone have experience with the Photo Smooth paper?

photopat

• http://
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 03:48:29 pm »

It's (Innova photosmoth high white cotton)one of the best matte papers out there and beats Hahnemule papers(bigger gamut) in all aspects and it's cheaper.
Innova is actually made by some guys that used to work at Hahnemule.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 03:49:31 pm by photopat »

Giedo

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 09:09:25 am »

As I'm interested in these kind of albums, I'd like to know what alternatives are available. I know about the Moab Chinle book, which has excellent papers, but I don't like the proportions (square).
What else is available for digital albums? (that is available in Western Europe as well).
Giedo

paperman

• http://www.on-linepaper.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 04:16:30 pm »

As I'm interested in these kind of albums, I'd like to know what alternatives are available. I know about the Moab Chinle book, which has excellent papers, but I don't like the proportions (square).
What else is available for digital albums? (that is available in Western Europe as well).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57946\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

have you looked at the Hahnemuhle Digital Photo Albums, they are available in A4 and A3 (both landscape format) with more to come. they are using 216gsm 2 side smooth art with some proofing sheets included. I prefer them to the innova opus as they are better finished and the binding screws are hidden as opposed to being external on the opus. also we prefer the quality of the covers. worth investigating some UK resellers do export worldwide

nma

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 05:58:22 pm »

have you looked at the Hahnemuhle Digital Photo Albums, they are available in A4 and A3 (both landscape format) with more to come. they are using 216gsm 2 side smooth art with some proofing sheets included. I prefer them to the innova opus as they are better finished and the binding screws are hidden as opposed to being external on the opus. also we prefer the quality of the covers. worth investigating some UK resellers do export worldwide
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=59807\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Since my original post, I have purchased an Opus album A4 size for ~$50.00.
The quality of the covers is good, not great as paperman suggests. However, I am very happy to note that the Innova Smooth Cotton dual side is a real eye opener for me. I really like this paper, even better than Epson Velvet and Moab Entrada. As expected the surface is smooth. What was unexpected to me was the gamut and its ability to provide a bright contrasty image with excellent detail. The only remaining question deals with shadow detail. How good can it be?  I am waiting to see what it can do with a custom profile.  Innova smooth cotton could become my standard against which all else will be judged. YMMV.

I have also seen two other products listed on www.inkjetgoodies.com    

1. PopArt Albums

PopArt Albums are an affordable, do-it-yourself way of creating professional quality leather-bound albums which are easy to assemble, update, and share. Pages are easily printable using most inkjet printers, including Epson and Canon photo printers. Now available bundled with your favorite Moab Papers!

Each PopArt Album Bundle includes 25 sheets of paper, Digital Postbound Album, Album Storage Box, 20 Flex-Hinge Binding Strips, and 22 Translucent Interleaving Sheets. Acid-free archival quality materials.

Portrait Album measures 11x9.5
Landscape Album measures 8.5x12

2,Stonehinge for Lyson

Ready-to-bind inkjet pages, cover sets and accessories for printing and binding elegant photography books. With the Stonehinge System™ and an inkjet printer you can print and bind elegant, fine art photography books that will last for centuries.

The system is composed of four products: Printable Album Pages, Cover sets, Translucent Interleaves, and Metal Edge Preservation Boxes. For more information on each product click on their related links.

sgwrx

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 12:29:32 am »

so is the Hahnemuhle album not available in the USA?

paperman

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 02:35:46 am »

The quality of the covers is good, not great as paperman suggests. However, I am very happy to note that the Innova Smooth Cotton dual side is a real eye opener for me. I really like this paper, even better than Epson Velvet and Moab Entrada. As expected the surface is smooth. What was unexpected to me was the gamut and its ability to provide a bright contrasty image with excellent detail. The only remaining question deals with shadow detail. How good can it be?  I am waiting to see what it can do with a custom profile.  Innova smooth cotton could become my standard against which all else will be judged. YMMV.

1. PopArt Albums

PopArt Albums are an affordable, do-it-yourself way of creating professional quality leather-bound albums which are easy to assemble, update, and share. Pages are easily printable using most inkjet printers, including Epson and Canon photo printers. Now available bundled with your favorite Moab Papers!

Each PopArt Album Bundle includes 25 sheets of paper, Digital Postbound Album, Album Storage Box, 20 Flex-Hinge Binding Strips, and 22 Translucent Interleaving Sheets. Acid-free archival quality materials.

2,Stonehinge for Lyson

Ready-to-bind inkjet pages, cover sets and accessories for printing and binding elegant photography books. With the Stonehinge System™ and an inkjet printer you can print and bind elegant, fine art photography books that will last for centuries.

The system is composed of four products: Printable Album Pages, Cover sets, Translucent Interleaves, and Metal Edge Preservation Boxes. For more information on each product click on their related links.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=59814\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

paperman

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 02:36:42 am »

The quality of the covers is good, not great as paperman suggests. However, I am very happy to note that the Innova Smooth Cotton dual side is a real eye opener for me. I really like this paper, even better than Epson Velvet and Moab Entrada. As expected the surface is smooth. What was unexpected to me was the gamut and its ability to provide a bright contrasty image with excellent detail. The only remaining question deals with shadow detail. How good can it be?  I am waiting to see what it can do with a custom profile.  Innova smooth cotton could become my standard against which all else will be judged. YMMV.

1. PopArt Albums

2,Stonehinge for Lyson

paperman

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 02:39:44 am »

1. PopArt Albums

2,Stonehinge for Lyson

paperman

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 02:45:03 am »

In reply to sgwrx. Do not know if the Hahnemuhle Albums are available in USA but they certainly are available to the USA from Europe. Why not try one of the UK distributors and get a quote for sending them direct to you - probably the costs would not be too bad as the carriage charge has to be paid at some point in the exercise anyway.

Alessandro_BR

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 02:55:14 am »

Hi, sorry to snoop here, but I am looking forward to finding a GLOSSY/MATTE paper, which is around 230 grams, that can be printed both sides. I looked and took different papers, but most of them look faded and smoky, it seems the ink goes deep into the paper, and that the surface is not smooth and silky enough. I print mostly covers and little posters out of old LPs I have transfered to CD format to keep them alive and kicking. So, where can I find a paper that looks professional, has a wide gamut of colours and feels very soft and smooth? I have a R200 (R220 in the U.S.A) printer and I intend to purchase a R800 printer later on.

My bets regards,
Alessandro.

sgwrx

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 04:08:18 pm »

i'll give it go.  thanks for reiterating what nma posted.

In reply to sgwrx. Do not know if the Hahnemuhle Albums are available in USA but they certainly are available to the USA from Europe. Why not try one of the UK distributors and get a quote for sending them direct to you - probably the costs would not be too bad as the carriage charge has to be paid at some point in the exercise anyway.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=64978\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 04:09:34 pm by sgwrx »
Pages: [1]   Go Up