Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Current standard - Canvas printer recommendations  (Read 2830 times)

dcase84

Current standard - Canvas printer recommendations
« on: May 28, 2015, 10:55:30 pm »

I've been searching for the best choice of printer that fits my needs for quite some time.

I'll be printing primarily black and white canvas prints.  Some with single, solid colors (red, blue, etc.).   Should be printing no larger than 44", but if the price is right, I would certainly consider a 60".

Won't be printing much to start, a few prints per week.  Not worried about service either, I have extensive IT background and should be able to manage.

I'm looking at a Z5400 but the used market seems non existant.  I do see tons of refurbished Z6100PS, can't find much info on it's canvas capabilities however.

Can anyone recommend what the current go-to would be for my usage?

Peter McLennan

Re: Current standard - Canvas printer recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 12:10:27 am »

I love my Epson 9800. Less problems than any printer I've ever owned. If I could find another one at a reasonable price, I'd buy it.

dcase84

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 09:46:30 am »

Great, I've read nothing but positive on those printers.

Is the 9890 just a newer version of the 9800?  I'm not seeing any new or refurbs of the 9800.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 10:50:08 pm »

Great, I've read nothing but positive on those printers.

Is the 9890 just a newer version of the 9800?  I'm not seeing any new or refurbs of the 9800.

The 9890 uses a different head with more, smaller nozzles and has (I think) two more inks than the 9800.  I don't miss 'em. :)

Too bad the're getting hard to find.  Believe it or not, one list member couldn't give his away and eventually recycled it. 
A few years ago I paid three figures for mine, used. Best photographic purchase I've made since I got my Pentax Spotmatic.

Larry451

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 09:38:45 am »

I'm not sure where you live but I've found a 9800 for sale near toronto, ontario Canada.   
regards
Larry.

Larry Heath

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 03:12:47 pm »

For canvas prints I use a 9880 works great, nearly zero clog issues, not so sure about the newer head technology in the 9900 series, I’ve read horror stories on the 9900, some of them in this neck of the woods. Now if I had it to do over again, I do believe I would have opted for an 11880. I’ve more than a few times wished I could print 60”.

Later Larry

dcase84

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 10:41:00 pm »

I can get a 9890 refurb for about $3k shipped, looks like for around $5k I could get an 11880 used.

Hmm, might have to seriously consider this route.  There doesn't seem to be nearly as many available on the used market though.

disneytoy

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 03:25:09 am »

I bought a NEW 9890 for $2995 including shipping. Check with CRAIG MABREY <craig.ipsdepot@hotmail.com>   www.theipsstore.com.. Super great to deal with. Responded to all my e-mails over the Christmas weekend. Very impressed. Not sure of all the rebates going on right now. Very happy with my purchase.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 04:20:30 am »

What is wrong with a Canon iPF8400 or iPF9400? Or even the HP Z3100-Z3200 if 44" is sufficient? With intermittent use both brands cope better than Epsons. The Canons are faster in practice too and their price new is lower if ink etc is counted as well. Extensive IT background does not help much when an Epson head is blocked.

If this is for a canvas market where solvent printers dominate already due to ink price and no surface finishing work necessary then join that party or outsource the jobs to them.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

sunsetcoast

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 08:20:30 am »

I would go with a Canon iPF8400 because it uses true blacks and greys whereas Epson mixes colors together.  You will get a much more accurate black & white with a Canon.  I just went through this myself... also, the job account software (PC only) allows you to enter in all your ink carts, prices, paper width, length and price per roll and it actually calculates the cost per print after each job.   :o :o :o :o  It has a canvas layout tool as well and uses a Photoshop action to layout your borders and crop marks.  It's genius, I love my Canon.

Aside from that, with sales and rebates right now you can buy one brand new and it ships with a full set of 330mL inks for less than $3K.

Garnick

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 05:09:22 pm »

I would go with a Canon iPF8400 because it uses true blacks and greys whereas Epson mixes colors together.  You will get a much more accurate black & white with a Canon.  I just went through this myself... also, the job account software (PC only) allows you to enter in all your ink carts, prices, paper width, length and price per roll and it actually calculates the cost per print after each job.   :o :o :o :o  It has a canvas layout tool as well and uses a Photoshop action to layout your borders and crop marks.  It's genius, I love my Canon.

Aside from that, with sales and rebates right now you can buy one brand new and it ships with a full set of 330mL inks for less than $3K.

Hmmmm :-\...Not sure where you got the idea that Epson printers don't use Black Inks.  The 9900 uses three black inks, K, LK and LLK.  As far as B&W prints, the Epsons do a fine job if you know how to use them(good profiles etc).  QTR works very well on Photo or Matte papers, excellent results. 

Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

chez

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 05:35:48 pm »

I have a couple of Z3100 printers and they are great for both B&W printing as well as canvas printing. Very frugle on ink and don't have clog issues. I travel for extended times so the printers can sit idle for weeks without needing any head cleaning.

You can pick up used Z3100 for a song these days.

sunsetcoast

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 09:10:01 am »

Ah, you're right Gary.  I was thinking of Jon Cone inks at the same time.  Sorry.

Some Guy

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 09:33:19 am »

I'm with Ernst above and would go with Canon if for nothing other than the Epson clogging matters and insane cost of replacing a head in them.  Local shop uses Epson and for what he pays to get them fixed (Avg. $2,200 per service call for head and pump change.) no way.  They print fine when they work, but after a three day holiday it shouldn't cost $2,200 to get theirs back up and running.  They recently "upgraded" to the 9900 when the motherboard failed in their "fix it machine" and it's in need of a warranty call too last time I was in there.  They have to pay the service guy's $300 travel time, or truck it to him and back, as he is distant at 200 miles too, but warranty labor and parts are covered.

If you buy paper from that large paper supply house in LA (FreeStyle Photo), ask them why they switched to selling Canon from Epson sometime (Hint: Downtime repair complaint$.).  :o

SG

aaronchan

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 12:51:47 am »

One of the thing that I love to print with the Canon over the HP is because it's blade can cut the canvas.
It sounds not a big deal but when you need to print hundreds per day, it does help a lot.

aaron
Pages: [1]   Go Up