Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting Medium format clarity from Dslrs (A free PS action)  (Read 3527 times)

sid_v

Hello,

We've created an 'optical low pass filter killing' action for Photoshop, that makes images appear really clean and sharp. We have tested it on few dslrs and medium format images from 50 to 80 megapixels, and the results have me and my fellow photographers really excited.

It is a free download available on my commercial site stylemypic.com, and it is called PRE Touch. It is supposed to work better on out of camera images, but works well on moderately retouched images. The image in before/after is one look you can achieve(my personal taste), but there are opacity sliders to fine tune to your taste if you prefer a sharper image and less blur in the color transitions.

I know most of you have experience with the best equipment in this forum, and I would like to know your inputs about it. Some tinkering may be required for you to get the perfect look. Check it out and let me know how it works for you all.

Thanks,
Sid.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
Re: Getting Medium format clarity from Dslrs (A free PS action)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 04:01:41 am »

Will try this, but I don't have my hopes high. I use focus Magic on DSLR images and it gets the images closer to MF, but that's not enough.

In my experience, it is not just the low pass filter that makes the DSLR images look inferior to the MF images (IN MY EYES. STEP OFF, TROLLS). The color separation in the MF images is also far superior whereas in a DSLR image, similar colors turn into a mush.

my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 04:34:40 am »

Sid,
thanks for making it available, i will have a try.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 11:34:04 am »

Is there a way to download it without a cart transaction?  Even though it's free I find no other way to obtain it from your site. 

Sincerely
Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

sid_v

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 02:50:52 pm »

Hi Paul,

It is important for me to keep track of our product download, its just a systematic way of doing things. I won't spam you or anything, if thats what you are worried about.

A request to those who have downloaded- please offer feedback once you play with it.

Thanks,
Sid.

Willow Photography

• http://www.willow.no
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 05:48:41 am »

Hi

I like the result, but it is extremely sloooooooow.
Willow Photography

sid_v

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 12:27:51 pm »

Thanks for writing, can you please elaborate what is slow, along with your comp specs. I've tested on macs with 4 gb ram and it is quite fast.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 01:06:10 pm »

I think i can answer: slow is the surface blur filter ;) although my 8 cores are running it takes some minutes on a 36Mp image...

but thanks for the very well working action.
I notice it seems the be one of the many ways of Frequency Separation and Inverted High Pass Retouching...(?)
It works very well out of the box i must say, only needs some masking and fine tuning.
Is it meant for skin/beauty or for general purpose ?

PK

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

sid_v

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 01:39:21 pm »

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I guess the speed depends on the megapixels. The action on 60-80 megapixels takes the maximum time compared to 22-36 on the same computer.

I'm glad you like it. This is a general purpose action, works with any image and genre, from fashion to landscapes or products. I have different versions for skin, which have quite a few steps and sold commercially.

Willow Photography

• http://www.willow.no
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 04:55:21 pm »

It took 14.30 min on a Nikon D810 TIFF file ( 206 mb / 16 bit )

I have an iMac ( late 2012 )
3,2 GHz I5 and 16 Gb RAM
Willow Photography

sid_v

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 10:24:36 pm »

Thank you for the details. Large Tiff files strain the processor with certain photoshop tasks. A 16bit 36megapixel jpg takes about a minute with a 16gb iMac in our tests.

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 01:36:35 am »

Yes the surface blur is the part that takes so long in the action.
I found it too strong to even desaturate some colors like green.
Great that you share!
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

gazwas

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 05:53:05 am »

Great action and appreciate the free download. Seemed to work great of human subjects after tweaking the layers but on an architectural project it desaturated the brickwork colours way too much making it unusable.
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

sid_v

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 10:24:09 am »

Hello, There is a red reduction layer that you can turn off to get the original colors of your brick wall. I mainly put it there because digital files seem to shift toward magenta, out of the camera. If you have color corrected your image before, or like the colors straight out of the camera, you can turn off the red desat layer.

@ACH: I'm not sure how green is getting desaturated, as there is only red desaturation layer present. About the heaviness, you have the control. You can always fine-tune individual opacities, or mask out certain areas.

Thanks for the feedback.

gazwas

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 07:44:25 pm »

Hello, There is a red reduction layer that you can turn off to get the original colors of your brick wall. I mainly put it there because digital files seem to shift toward magenta, out of the camera. If you have color corrected your image before, or like the colors straight out of the camera, you can turn off the red desat layer.

The bricks were yellow/buff coloured, not red bricks that were effected. I suppose they might contain some part of the red end of the colour spectrum so I will try your suggestion and report back.
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?
Pages: [1]   Go Up