Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A couple of very basic, counter-intuitive, printing questions  (Read 1363 times)

uintaangler

I contacted Canson Infinity regarding their online profile for Rag Photographique on my Epson 4900, mostly because it shows up with a pretty old date ( 2010 )
I received an email response about printer settings that I would like to get a second opinion on from the members of this forum
This is from their email response…..
- Print Quality : 1440dpi
- Printing speed: Super, High Speed 

My questions….
If my Epson 4900 is capable of 2880dpi - isn't it always better to go with the higher dpi?
If I am not in any hurry, isn't it always better to NOT check the High Speed box, if my goal is the highest possible print quality?

Finally, they also recommended this:  Black Point Compensation: ON
I print in Lightroom and don't think that is a setting I have - am I missing something?

Thanks.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: A couple of very basic, counter-intuitive, printing questions
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 09:29:23 am »

Yes, 2880 is selected in the Epson Driver (Printer Setttings).
High Speed on should be OK but if you consult your Epson 4900 manual you will find it says that highest quality is achieved leaving it off.
If you select Relative Intent in LR, you're done - it's handled under the hood.

I don't know their Rag Photographique paper but if it resembles Platine be aware that some of us have experienced big clogging issues running such papers through the 4900 - probably shedding of particulates. I don't know how general this is, so I suggest you buy the smallest possible quantity, run half a dozen sheets through the printer and then do a nozzle check. If the check comes out OK, you are good to continue. If not, think twice about the paper choice.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

uintaangler

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 09:44:24 am »

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the quick response.
Interestingly, Relative Intent is my default, BUT Canson recommends Perceptual for this paper
Bob

PS Is Canson aware of the clogging problem on the 4900?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 09:52:35 am »

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the quick response.
Interestingly, Relative Intent is my default, BUT Canson recommends Perceptual for this paper
Bob

PS Is Canson aware of the clogging problem on the 4900?

The use of rendering intent doesn't depend on the paper. It depends on how the photo looks to you under the various rendering intents that are available for dealing with OOG colours. Consider it an editing tool like any other and be prepared to switch depending on your taste for the individual photo.

I have no idea what Canson knows or thinks about running these kind of rag papers through a 4900. I and several others have hit on this because we noticed significant gaps in the nozzle check after making some prints with it. So its "circumstantial evidence" - I mentioned it as a factor to test for rather than "received wisdom", if you know what I mean.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 09:57:24 am »

I print in Lightroom and don't think that is a setting I have - am I missing something?
It's always on, unlike Photoshop, you can't toggle it off. And you shouldn't anyway, hence it being always on in LR.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

dwswager

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 12:35:00 pm »

My questions….
If my Epson 4900 is capable of 2880dpi - isn't it always better to go with the higher dpi?
If I am not in any hurry, isn't it always better to NOT check the High Speed box, if my goal is the highest possible print quality?

Thanks.

As to the 1st question, that is complicated and the correct answer is not necessarily.  The printer does not print at 1440 dpi or 2880 dpi, those are just the numbers of available dots by location and size that the printer has the ability to lay down per linear inch.  Because it creates a dither pattern, and accounts for dot spread and ink load capability of the paper, the dither pattern may or may not change much between the two.  Epson will tell you that you probably aren't going to see a difference except in very unique situations based on the image content.

High speed should be labeled bidirectional printing.  It only matters if the ink loading is heavy and the paper takes longer to absorb (dry).  Using standard settings and profiles, the recommended settings will work fine.  Some people create special profiles using a heavier ink load and for those situations, turning high speed off is recommended.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 12:50:43 pm »

Rag Photographique is a matte paper and I think that's why they recommend printing at 1440 which is the general recommendation for this class of papers as opposed to the gloss papers such as Plantine Rag or Baryta Photographique.  I got a test pack a couple of years ago to do some testing on and it's an OK paper.  I still prefer Museo Portfolio Rag despite its stability issues with fading of certain colors.  As with any matte paper, dust will be an issue and if you are printing from sheets always use a drafting brush first so that no dust build up occurs at the print head and rollers.  I've always used high speed printing with my 3880 and have seen no visual difference between the two settings.

Alan

uintaangler

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 03:07:04 pm »

As with any matte paper, dust will be an issue and if you are printing from sheets always use a drafting brush first so that no dust build up occurs at the print head and rollers. 

Alan

Alan,
What if I am using Rag Photographique off a roll - how do I prevent the dust build up?
Thanks.

hugowolf

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 03:56:36 pm »

Alan,
What if I am using Rag Photographique off a roll - how do I prevent the dust build up?
Thanks.

It isn't as much of a problem with rolls, but I vacuum the ends of the roll and clean out the poly bag that covers the roll. I don't know about the 4900, but with the larger format Epsons, you can pull several feet of paper through and brush it off as the printer re-rolls it.

It is my most used paper. I get the best price buying it in US Arch D (24" x 36") sheets and cutting down, but I also use rolls.

2880 dpi isn't always optimal, and I have never found it optimal on any matte art paper. I use 2880 with very few papers, mostly high gloss and film.

I don't know why they state perceptual. Perhaps they thought it the safest choice for someone that would have no idea otherwise.

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up