Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Considering replacing a clogging Epson 4900 with a new one  (Read 23078 times)

howardm

Re: Considering replacing a clogging Epson 4900 with a new one
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2015, 08:35:08 am »

for academics, the 3800->3880 changed *both* magenta and light magenta to their vivid counterparts.

ericbowles

• Bowles Images
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2015, 06:07:24 am »

I wanted to close the loop on the original post.

I ended up taking the printer to my local Epson Authorized Service Center.  They ran some tests and tried to use solvents to dissolve the clog.  What they ultimately found out was the pumping unit had failed and was not getting adequate suction - leading to the ink clogging and drying out.  They replaced the pumping unit and the printer has worked flawlessly for nearly two months.  The cost of the repair was around $500 - not cheap but far cheaper than a new printer or printer head.

The tech at the service center told me that this printer is on its third part number for the pumping unit.  Apparently the original design of the pumping unit had issues, and that design has subsequently been modified. 

The chemical used to try to dissolve the clogs is available to consumers. It's referred to at Epson CRO2 Shipping / Cleaning fluid. It goes by other names as well. It costs around $30 for a liter - enough to last a very long time. This is exactly the same fluid used by Epson at the factory for shipping a new printer. It also can be used for storage for up to a few months or longer. I bought a liter for regular maintenance.

Eric Bowles
Nature Photography
Workshops and Instruction

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2015, 07:36:51 am »

Eric,

This is indeed very helpful information and coheres with the advice I have received from my service tech here in Toronto.

Could you, however, elaborate on how this Epson fluid is used? Do they pump it through the print head using bespoke cartridges or is it just applied externally?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

cybis

• http://www.lucbusquin.com
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2015, 12:57:42 pm »

The chemical used to try to dissolve the clogs is available to consumers. It's referred to at Epson CRO2 Shipping / Cleaning fluid. It goes by other names as well. It costs around $30 for a liter - enough to last a very long time. This is exactly the same fluid used by Epson at the factory for shipping a new printer. It also can be used for storage for up to a few months or longer. I bought a liter for regular maintenance.

Thanks for the update Eric. Where did you buy the fluid? Thank you.

Georgecp

« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2015, 12:39:18 am »

Eric,

My story is consistent with yours.  After 18 months of frustration, I had my 4900 serviced by an authorized repair center;they replaced the pump unit for the same total price of approximately $500.  The printer has worked beautifully ever since.  If I need to do a power clear, it clears the head..simple.

The printer does make great prints; it is nice to get back to that...

Best Regards,
George

ericbowles

• Bowles Images
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2017, 09:53:36 am »

Sorry but I missed the questions.

I bought the fluid from my local Epson repair shop when my printer was being repaired.  I have seen it on eBay and a few web sources, but I have also seen people overcharge on the price.

I don't have to use it very often as I regularly use my printer.  To use it, just place a few drops on each stations where the print head docks. 

When I initially took my printer for service, the shop tried applying a few drops to each station to see if it would loosen up dried ink and allow a seal.  Unfortunately, it would not seal indicating the pump unit needed to be replaced.
Eric Bowles
Nature Photography
Workshops and Instruction
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up