Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Considering replacing a clogging Epson 4900 with a new one

(1/14) > >>

ericbowles:
I've had an Epson 4900 from about three years.  When it works, it's been a great printer, but clogs have been a problem.  It's partially clogged in three colors right now and is not acceptable for color prints.  Still, I'm considering replacing the clogged printer with another Epson 4900.

I'm looking for input on whether this path makes sense.  Here's my thought process.

I don't print on a daily basis.  Once or twice a week is typical.  Overall volume is in the hundreds of prints per year. 

I use 80-90% roll paper and have an ample stock.  I want to use the paper I have.  I use the paper cassette for proof prints.

I have 50% or more in a full set of inks.  There is value in the inks (probably $500-600) and I would use the existing inks with a new printer rather than opening the starter inks. 

My printer is in a basement area.  I'm in a relatively humid climate.  The basement area has high humidity so I have to run a dehumidifier to prevent mold.  It's set at 50% and automatically cuts off if the humidity drops lower.  I could probably raise the humidity level to 55%.

I don't have room for an Epson 7900 or 9900.  Those printers are a little bigger than I need.  I do have a custom table that can easily support the 4900 or larger printers up to 250 pounds or more.

I did not have clogging at all for the first year with my 4900.  Even after that, clogs were easily cleared.  Problem clogs first appeared after the printer went unused for several weeks due to travel.  It's not typical, but I do have periods of 2-3 weeks that I travel and can't produce a print.  To reduce the impact, I would put a tray of water in the printer to increase humidity. 

So I am thinking about replacing my current 4900 with another of the same model.  I would probably get an extended warranty since service is cost prohibitive.  I would be able to use my inks, table, and paper.  Maintenance and regular use would be a higher priority - hopefully reducing issues.  I would hope to get 3-4 years of use out of the printer - and anything beyond that is gravy.

Is there another printer I should consider?

Is there anything I may have missed?

Is there anything I should add to my maintenance routine?

Mark D Segal:
It probably remains the highest quality, widest gamut printer in its size range, and I have heard quite unofficially that small improvements were made to the pump/capping station assembly since it first came out which may improve the clogging/cleaning business; that said, using it regularly, adequate humidity (which you have) and running papers that don't shed particulates are the most important measures for assuring relatively trouble free operation. The extended warranty is like an insurance policy and therefore a game of risk, not knowing the odds of it being called. I don't know how much they charge for it these days but if it's not too unreasonable the peace of mind may be worth the price.

ericbowles:
Thanks, Mark.  The extended warranty for two additional years is $539.  That's not cheap, but failures seem to come late in year 2 or in year 3. 

I hope they have made some adjustments to prevent clogging.  For the first two years it was a terrific printer.

I just have not seen anything on the market in this segment that matches the 4900 it in terms of quality.  Even the 7900 has its share of issues.

Mark D Segal:
Eric, ALL printers (perhaps except the 3800/3880) have their share of issues. Read the forums and you will see. If I were buying a new 4900 I would buy the warranty. My own experience is that over the 40 months I've owned this printer, I've spent about $200 on technician service, so in my case I would have lost this bet, but the peace of mind has value. IF something really bad were to happen the repair cost could well exceed the cost of the warranty. That said, you must assume that Epson has this policy priced to at least break-even across the board. However, what matters is what happens to you and how you feel about it.

John Caldwell:
4900 and 9900 owner here: Would not buy a 4900 without the maximum extended warranty. With the warranty, you can certainly do a lot of printing, as I have.

A local and reliable source tells me that the 4900 is up for replacement with Epson's "new inks and technology". If you can postpone the upgrade, consider that for what it's worth.

John-

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version