Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The reality of being an artist.  (Read 6590 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: The reality of being an artist.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 04:56:11 pm »

No one is going to click your link unless you give some idea of what is about, beyond the subject line.

Johnny_Johnson

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 11:20:20 pm »

I did. Thought it was an interesting read.

Later,
Johnny

amolitor

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 12:08:37 am »

I thought it had a startlingly low quantity of content for so many words.

Can you think of anything actually concrete and definite Daniel says in the entire piece?

Johnny_Johnson

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 12:15:56 am »

Oh, someone else read it too.   ;D

Later,
Johnny

spidermike

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 06:17:38 am »

A precis:
A photographer, bitter at the fact no-one acknowledges his genius does not make his money in photography but explains how he gets his work into museums by giving it away for free.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 12:15:25 pm »

Clearly Daniel has his problems, the first being that he doesn't know the difference between "they're" and "their" or between "you're" and "your." He's not much of a writer, but what he's written reminds me of the kids in the eighties who'd bring their stuff into my wife's gallery on days when I was helping her out instead of building business applications in C++. Each kid was an ARTIST! and couldn't understand why we didn't jump at the chance to hang his stuff. Of course none of them had taken the time to learn much about their supposed art. But who needs to do that? If you're a genius you'll do STRIKINGLY DIFFERENT work, and learning boring fundamentals is for those without talent. But, as Daniel says, photography is so easy that there's too much competition out there, and that's why his stuff doesn't sell. Of course! That HAS to be it.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

amolitor

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 12:45:10 pm »

Daniel still suffers from the belief that museums do, or ought to, purchase art from artists, that museums are somehow in the business of discovering artists.

The fact is that every museum on earth receives great masses of donated "Art" every year, and even more offers of "Art" and they turn virtually all of them down. A museum essentially is its curatorial vision. They have curators whose job it is to acquire work that fits with that vision. If you're making work that fits, they'll contact you.

If you want to be discovered, you need to be working with the people whose job it is to discover artists, which is, roughly, galleries. Leave the poor buggers at the museum alone. They have plenty of crap to carry out to the dumpster already.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 05:45:46 pm »

Oh, someone else read it too.   ;D

Later,
Johnny

If you look at this OP's LuLa MO he has a habit of posting topics that drive folks here to his blog and then never participates in the LuLa thread. This makes about his 5th thread doing this.

I stopped clicking and rely on others talking about it here. Saves a lot of time.

spidermike

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 07:23:59 pm »

Perhaps he's annoyed that he hasn't been banned yet.  ::)

BobDavid

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 08:22:47 am »

He really isn't harming anyone. He puts effort into his blog. A few of his photos are fine. I think he's a twenty-something kid trying to find his way.

stamper

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 09:36:04 am »

He is different to most of the photographers on here and that can't be a bad thing? :)

Otto Phocus

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 09:38:14 am »

Visiting a blog, just to put links back to your blog is a bit cheezy.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

amolitor

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 09:44:06 am »

He's older than that. Also, yes, pretty much a harmless kook.

He spent several years, by his own account, sending portfolios to museums, which irritates me. Those overworked and underpaid folks don't actually need to be saddled with more stuff to stay out to the dumpster. That's not a judgment on Daniel's work, by the way. It's just what's inevitably going to happen to unsolicited portfolios of work from unknowns.

There are other suggestions that his self-centered kookery tend to generate labor for other people. Not for me, thank goodness, or if be genuinely angry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up