Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Luxury compact - LX100, RX100, MarkIII, your favorite?  (Read 24698 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Luxury compact - LX100, RX100, MarkIII, your favorite?
« on: May 25, 2015, 08:59:13 am »

Hi folks, what's your favorite luxury compact, and how does it compare to your SLR and camera phone?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

MatthewCromer

Re: Luxury compact - LX100, RX100, MarkIII, your favorite?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 10:02:37 am »

I have the RX100M2. I prefer over the M3 (need that 100mm equivalent more than I need wider than 28mm equivalent).

Image quality is more or less equal to my dSLT in all but low light conditions.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 02:38:59 pm »

I have the RX100 Mark II as well, and it's a fine little camera. But the "compact" that I keep going back to is the Fuji X100s. Yes, it's a fixed lens, yes it's larger and heavier, but dang it's a lot of fun to shoot and makes some great files.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

jhemp

• Glad to be alive and a photographer
    • Jay Hemphill Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 07:43:57 pm »

I'd have to go with the RX100 III.  I love the addition of the view finder and couldn't go back to the I or II without it.  But I will say that my favorite compact camera to shoot landscapes with is the RX1r.  The RX1r is such a fun and simple camera to work with and provides excellent IQ.  I love that I can use a traditional threaded cable release with the camera, it reminds me of my medium and large format days.

Mousecop

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 08:59:50 pm »

I'm using a Panasonic GM1 with the 12-32 as my compact.  Bigger sensor than the LX100/RX100/etc.  Very small, very light, excellent kit lens, interchangeable lenses, good price point.

The GF7 is nearly identical to the GM1.  The GM5 has an EVF, but it's not fantastic.

bassman51

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 06:22:26 am »

RX100m3.  I previously used compact-sensor cameras like the XZ1 or Canon S90.  But the larger and denser sensor, tilting screen and EVF of the RX100m3 wins.  While I do occasionally put it in a pocket, it's weight and thickness make this uncomfortable to me.  

I added the Franiac grip, which I've done on other soap-bar cameras as well.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:41:46 am by bassman51 »
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

brianrybolt

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 07:28:20 am »

The best one is:  Lumix LX100.  24mm (equivalent) wide.  Very quiet shutter, good UI, excellent lens, varying aspect ratios and at a good price.

David S

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 09:46:27 am »

I am using the LX100 and am pleasantly surprised at how much I like it.

Dave S

Michael N. Meyer

• Michael Nathaniel Meyer Freelance
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 02:35:18 pm »

My x100 is my current everyday compact, though it's not particularly compact, and I've never liked it as much as the Ricoh GRDii that it supplanted. I'm tempted to pick up one of the latest GR's.

Actually, I should say that my current everyday compact is my Nexus 5. I shoot and post to a Tumblr (onthego.photos) from the phone far more frequently than anything.

IanB

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 06:06:00 am »

Leica D-Lux 5.

Yes, I know all the Panasonic stuff (LX-5 equivalent), but it's a really nice package in Leica form.

I sold the DSLR - it offered few advantages for the weight. D-Lux is now my only digital camera (I still use film for large prints - entirely a different kind of work). It gives all the quality I need up to A3 size reproduction, and I've had more images published from it than from any other camera. Biggest drawback is that it cannot isolate a narrow field of focus very well, but that's about my only reservation. The more I use it, the more I like it.

My Nokia Lumia 1520 camera phone is pretty good, but it's not up to publication quality, so is no substitute. Poor DR by comparison.

scooby70

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 04:49:03 pm »

Interesting. I have an LX5 and I'm quite disappointed with it as to me my old LX2 took sharper images at low ISO, both are rubbish at higher ISO's. To me LX5 files look mushy when pixel peeping and I wouldn't recommend the camera to anyone. Maybe the Leica version is better.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 03:42:49 am »

Well, luxury plus compact spells Leica Typ 113...

stamper

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 06:00:00 am »

Why do you describe them as luxury?

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 04:20:11 pm »

Why do you describe them as luxury?

They cost as much if not more than an SLR

e.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 05:35:22 pm »

I bought an RX100 MKIII as it had all the features I required [24mm lens, EVF, flash, tilting screen, good high ISO, large sensor and still fitted in my trouser pocket.
As for quality, pretty darn stunning.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 06:04:30 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

IanB

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 05:51:43 pm »

Interesting. I have an LX5 and I'm quite disappointed with it as to me my old LX2 took sharper images at low ISO, both are rubbish at higher ISO's. To me LX5 files look mushy when pixel peeping and I wouldn't recommend the camera to anyone. Maybe the Leica version is better.

The images should be exactly the same out of the camera - there is no difference under the skin. However, I'm not sure I would recommend too much pixel-peeping - it does not really give you much idea of what an image finally published in a magazine will look like. Enlarge to no more than A3 size, either on screen or in print - the camera is not intended or claimed to work well for anything larger. I think the in-camera JPEG sharpening is fairly subtle for a compact camera, but I prefer it that way - it's easier to add than remove!

I agree you don't want to use high ISO - but I rarely seem to have reason to.

IanB

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 06:09:37 pm »

They cost as much if not more than an SLR

e.

So I hear, but mine including Lightroom cost exactly the same as an LX5 plus buying Lightroom separately, and I didn't already have LR, so I went for it!  ;D

Overall, though, speaking as an old-ish codger who grew up with 35mm film before SLRs ever had 'D's in front, I am consistently impressed with what the more serious compact cameras are now capable of - the best are really very good indeed, and DSLRs as an everyday camera are probably no longer really necessary.

The D-Lux 5 is long obsolete officially, but I'd still prefer to get thoroughly familiar with any camera so as to understand it before deciding to replace it with the newest model. The new D-Lux (7?) (I mean LX-100 ;)) looks tempting, but I'm in no hurry, as I know what my little thing can do and what it can't - and now I understand it, I'm more often impressed than disappointed.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 06:28:52 pm by IanB »

David S

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 06:14:45 pm »

I agree that the more serious compacts are surprisingly good. They also approach the size of some old film cameras like the Pentax MX (or ME, either with the pancake 40 mm lens) which, of course, were full frame as it were in film days.

Dave S

Internaut

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 10:15:33 am »

Well, luxury plus compact spells Leica Typ 113...

I suppose you could also add the X Verio though, IMHO, that zoom lens sticks out a bit to much to fit the camera into the compact category.

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2015, 05:17:13 pm »

Forgetting about zoom and optical finder for the moment, how do these others compare with the Fuji x100 in terms of IQ, ergonomics and UI?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up