Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DXo Optics Pro question  (Read 4180 times)

David R. Gurtcheff

DXo Optics Pro question
« on: February 09, 2006, 02:53:47 pm »

I enjoyed reading Alain Briot's review of Optics Pro, and I purchased it. Alain states he usually initially uses the Fully Automatic setting, then later fine tunes his images in both Optics Pro, and Photoshop. I would like also to break in my learning curve using Fully Auto. My problem is that Fully Auto setting's defaults are JPEG output with 90% quality factor. Doesn't JPEG output negate using a high end digital camera and shooting RAW? Is there anyway to use fully auto, and have the output as a TIFF (which I assume would be higher quality)? Also the default is sRGB, whereas I have been using Adobe RGB as my working space. Any help here? As you can see I am NEW to DXo, so please forgive what may be stupid or obvious questions.
Thanks ijn advance.
Dave

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
DXo Optics Pro question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 01:24:24 am »

My understanding is that you should use the advanced mode, leave all settings at their default value (it will therefore behave as the fully automatic mode), except those that affect the save format.

In the save tab (forgot the real name of the tab and don't have access to DxO now), you have 3 sub-tabs, one for jpg, one for tiff and one for DNG.

You can output in more than one format, and control the various settings for each format.

Regards,
Bernard

alainbriot

• http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
    • http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
DXo Optics Pro question
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 04:34:50 am »

My understanding is that you should use the advanced mode, leave all settings at their default value (it will therefore behave as the fully automatic mode), except those that affect the save format.

In the save tab (forgot the real name of the tab and don't have access to DxO now), you have 3 sub-tabs, one for jpg, one for tiff and one for DNG.

You can output in more than one format, and control the various settings for each format.

Regards,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57873\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bernard's approach is the one I follow myself, and the one I recommend.  The problem of choosing the proper settings in DxO is significant given the complexity of the controls and the number of variables.  To remedy this situation I suggested to DxO they provide Presets, which would be the favorite settings that specific photographers use regularly in their work. I further suggested that these presets be given the name of the photographers who use them and that they be made available for free.  So far this idea did not get any response on the part of DxO.  If you think this approach would be useful to you, let me, or better let DxO, know.

Alain
Alain Briot
Author of Mastering Landscape Photography
http://www.beautiful-landscape.com

David R. Gurtcheff

DXo Optics Pro question
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 01:33:07 pm »

Bernard's approach is the one I follow myself, and the one I recommend.  The problem of choosing the proper settings in DxO is significant given the complexity of the controls and the number of variables.  To remedy this situation I suggested to DxO they provide Presets, which would be the favorite settings that specific photographers use regularly in their work. I further suggested that these presets be given the name of the photographers who use them and that they be made available for free.  So far this idea did not get any response on the part of DxO.  If you think this approach would be useful to you, let me, or better let DxO, know.

Alain
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57876\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks both of you. I like the idea of Favorite Photographer's pre-sets. I will email DXo to relay that message. I have already found DXo useful. I specialize in sea scapes, and several of my Canon lenses show a seascape with curved horizon, usually worse the nearer the edge of the frame. DXo fixes it no problem. Very impressive so far.  
Thanks again
Dave
www.modernpictorials.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up