Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: What has the Adobe LR team been doing since LR5 for 2 years?  (Read 53643 times)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: What has the Adobe LR team been doing since LR5 for 2 years?
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2015, 02:51:35 pm »

Anyway you look at it. The absence of a wifi option to dispense Smart Previews to Lightroom Mobile is a huge missing piece of the puzzle. And in intentional oversight IMHO.

I wouldn't be surprised to see direct wifi transfer introduced, probably with upload to Adobe's servers once you're connected. It would be good in more mundane situations than ours, but my reading is that getting the product established seems the higher priority, and I don't feel direct transfer is critical to that.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2015, 06:55:45 pm »

I think the team could come up with a number of useful additions to the Print Module which is today still worth the price of admission IMHO. I recall the steep pricing for ImagePrint, much of that functionality now built in LR. Adobe clearly didn't see how large a task this was going to be and just passed this off to Blurb which was a mistake. They pretty much took the opposite route that Apple did with iPhoto and Aperture by taking full control over the print process from start to finish.
If you are serious about making books or albums for clients, then Smart Albums is a quite promising bit of software. More expensive than LR and only does one thing, but from what other users have said and the short time I played with it, it is a fantastic time saver so ideal for certain businesses. And not limited to Blurb either.
They are also very good at listening to what the customer wants and handling customer issues. I keep up with them on FB, as I may need their software if my business moves into album production and am impressed by their attitude.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2015, 07:05:25 pm »

That's awesome that Lr is capable of spanning the globe to include parties located elsewhere ... Too badd it can't reach a few feet through the ether when an internet connection is not available.

I had a job earlier this spring where we were on location where there was no internet access whatsoever. No cell signal. The closest telephone landline was over 50 miles away. Yet we had an ad hoc wifi network in use. The art director was very nearby but was not actually on several of the outdoor sets we were using.

In my case, Lightroom was just a bunch of useless ones and zeros occupying valuable storage space on my devices. So we went Old School with with an Eye-fi card and the ShutterSnitch app. The AD received constant feedback on how the shoot was progressing and could even shout out direction when we were in ear shot.

Now you may say my situation was a niche concern for Adobe ... it is a major concern for me as I have 6-8 such shoots per year under these circumstances ... but I would wager your situation of parties sprawled across the globe requiring live feedback is not that great in numbers either.

Anyway you look at it. The absence of a wifi option to dispense Smart Previews to Lightroom Mobile is a huge missing piece of the puzzle. And in intentional oversight IMHO.
The inability to do what you suggest is indeed baffling. And not that niche either I'd say. A very useful facility for studio type work, which is often not in a studio.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jrsforums

« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2015, 01:19:27 am »

Yes, however the GPU support came from ACR. No other GPU support was added like e.g. for preview generation which would be a fairly obvious benefit.

Hans, I believe that you err in trying to depict a significant difference between the "development", e.g. the RAW conversion and enhancement sliders, between ACR and LR.  Seems to me that all that work is done, pretty much, by one team.
John

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2015, 04:34:57 am »

Hans, I believe that you err in trying to depict a significant difference between the "development", e.g. the RAW conversion and enhancement sliders, between ACR and LR.  Seems to me that all that work is done, pretty much, by one team.

Where do you get that impression from? All I'm saying is that the majority of enhancements in LR6 is coming from the ACR engine which is underneath LR6 and therefore is coming from the ACR team. I have no internal knowledge about how Adobe eventually shits people around between the teams. But it is fair to conclude that Lightroom as sch has been fairly at an almost standstill in terms of new functionality for years now. I would like to see this changed and this is the reason for my post.

jferrari

« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2015, 08:02:43 am »

knowledge about how Adobe eventually shits people around between the teams.

Freudian Slip :o
Nothing changes until something changes.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography

ButchM

« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2015, 10:00:47 am »

But it is fair to conclude that Lightroom as sch has been fairly at an almost standstill in terms of new functionality for years now. I would like to see this changed and this is the reason for my post.

I wouldn't say development is at a standstill for modules other than Develop ... but it is very apparent that the decision making, attention to detail and openness of function is far different from what we see when it comes to ACR/Develop ... there is a considerable and noticeable difference in management styles that can be quite disconcerting.

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2015, 01:30:24 pm »

What makes me wonder is that we discuss this topic on 5 pages and there is no statement of any member of Adobe, although many of them seem to read this forum, and I'm sure also ths thread.

'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2015, 06:03:59 pm »

What makes me wonder is that we discuss this topic on 5 pages and there is no statement of any member of Adobe, although many of them seem to read this forum, and I'm sure also ths thread.

While I know for a fact that Adobe people do surf the LuLa forums (I know because I got an email dinging my for what I said about the LR Team) the only Adobe person who is a regular member of LuLa is Eric Chan (MadManChan) and Eric has been pretty busy so not doing a lot of posting.

Other people from Adobe would be very, very reluctant to actually post here. People from companies end up getting a lot of grief here. I know of several people who have quit posting because of that. Can you imagine the grief Adobe would get regarding CC subscriptions vs perpetual licenses.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2015, 06:50:30 pm »

Other people from Adobe would be very, very reluctant to actually post here. People from companies end up getting a lot of grief here. I know of several people who have quit posting because of that. Can you imagine the grief Adobe would get regarding CC subscriptions vs perpetual licenses.

Ya think?  Really: we're just a bunch of pussycats.

Seriously, as I'm sure you are well aware, there's a wide gulf between developers ("software engineering," or whatever we're calling it these days) and product managers (marketers, which in some circles has always been a pejorative, but they're usually the people who call the shots).

I've only dealt with Adobe as an end-user—both enterprise and, currently, personal—but my experience with many other software manufacturers is that the techies like to talk about what they are doing and the product managers prefer that the developers keep their blinkin' mouths shut.  As one fairly senior software executive said to me more years ago than I prefer to admit, "the developers would give away the store if we let them" ... meaning that, because they're proud of the work they're doing, they would say more than corporate management would like.  There is also a concern about "giving away futures," or revealing product plans that might or might not come to fruition.

That's where trusted intermediaries like you, Michael and Kevin (also Andrew Rodney?) can be useful.  If you confine yourselves to asking questions about technical issues, I suspect even the marketing people will be comfortable with what the techies have to say.

I gather you have already interviewed Eric Chan again for your LR6 video.  I hope Thomas Knoll is also willing to talk to you publicly.  Please don't ask any questions about licensing arrangements.  If you can get the developers to tell us a little more about what's going on "under the hood," it will be time well spent.  As far as I'm concerned, the commercial arrangements are rather boring: they don't tell me anything about the best way to process my pictures.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 08:42:41 pm by Chris Kern »

ButchM

« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2015, 08:11:35 pm »

Other people from Adobe would be very, very reluctant to actually post here. ... Can you imagine the grief Adobe would get regarding CC subscriptions vs perpetual licenses.

Indeed, they are rightfully reluctant as the folks who create the tech ... don't get to make the decisions about licensing and accounting policies, but would end up taking the heat for such issues.

Manoli

« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2015, 11:38:33 pm »

People from companies end up getting a lot of grief here. I know of several people who have quit posting because of that. Can you imagine the grief Adobe would get regarding CC subscriptions vs perpetual licenses.

Adobe did have someone on LuLa specifically for that - forgot his name but he didn't hang around too long. 'Grief' ? Well the PhaseOne boys seem to handle it with grace, humour and aplomb.

Schewe

« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2015, 12:33:32 am »

Adobe did have someone on LuLa specifically for that - forgot his name but he didn't hang around too long. 'Grief' ? Well the PhaseOne boys seem to handle it with grace, humour and aplomb.

Yeah the guy from Adobe was trying to explain things last year but basically got run off. And the Phase One guy (David Glover I think) is a tech engineer (I think) but I've not seen him post lately. The guys from Capture Integration post but there was a thread somewhere here that launched into an attach on company individuals posting here...but in fact those guys handled very well. Not sure when the last time they posted though.

Sorry, but the anti-company nature of many posters here have driven company members away. Look in the mirror folks and ask yourself, are you part of the solution or the problem. If you want company poster back again, ya gotta behave yourselves.

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2015, 12:38:27 am »

While I know for a fact that Adobe people do surf the LuLa forums (I know because I got an email dinging my for what I said about the LR Team) the only Adobe person who is a regular member of LuLa is Eric Chan (MadManChan) and Eric has been pretty busy so not doing a lot of posting.

I haven't thought on Eric Chan who is software engineer when I wrote that, but more on Tom Hogarty who is to my knowledge product manager and whom I'm sure I saw here writing some time ago.
The last thing I want is to nail someone to the wall or cause more grief than he already has, but simply listen to arguments which could be mind changing because I'm sure this medal has more than two sides.
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Schewe

« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2015, 01:34:21 am »

The last thing I want is to nail someone to the wall or cause more grief than he already has, but simply listen to arguments which could be mind changing because I'm sure this medal has more than two sides.

Well, I'll say this, Adobe product managers are no strangers to viewing the LuLa forums. But it's more about checking the pulse rather than trying to message a spin. And, that's all fine and good. But make no mistake, Adobe scours the web (all public posts, forums and blogs) to see what the "natives" are saying. And it does impact their decisions. So, making thoughtful and well articulated positions will help the cause. Making anti-Adobe type posts won't get much traction...

Manoli

« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2015, 02:35:34 am »

Sorry, but the anti-company nature of many posters here have driven company members away. Look in the mirror folks and ask yourself, are you part of the solution or the problem. If you want company poster back again, ya gotta behave yourselves.

There's no place for generic hate-messaging - on that I think we'd all agree. But when it comes to 'us' wanting the company poster back again, I think it's rather that they may wish to present their company in a better light given their recent, somewhat inept, PR skills.

And hiding behind your shirt tails when the CC fiasco blew up didn't put them (Adobe) in line for a bravery award. You took a lot of unwarranted shit, on their behalf, and they should have shown a modicum of gumption and crawled out from the safety of their corporate shelter.

Actions speak louder than words, but the lack of either tends to get embedded in people's subconscious for a long time.

ButchM

« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2015, 01:38:58 pm »

... You took a lot of unwarranted shit, on their behalf, and they should have shown a modicum of gumption and crawled out from the safety of their corporate shelter.

Actions speak louder than words, but the lack of either tends to get embedded in people's subconscious for a long time.

There is some real world truth in what you say there if you take it for it's basic reference ... however ... It isn't folks like Eric Chan and Tom Hogarty that created the "PR fiasco" of late or made drastic policy changes in licensing or have the influence or power to rectify any of these concerns ... those that we can credit/blame for those decisions I think are at least a few rungs up on the totem pole at Adobe and really never ventured forth in the past on to participate in public forums ... other than possibly lurking.

It's a bit unfair the consider those few Adobe employees that have participated here in the past are guilty of cowardice under fire ... they didn't design the battle plan nor should they take the blame for or defend the actions of others over which they have no control.

It was the upper management of executives and accountants that created the firestorm ... not those with whom we may be familiar that share the tech side of things here in the past. Yet it would be those we know to have any affiliation with Adobe would definitely draw the ire from users ... not those who were truly responsible.

john2

« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2015, 03:43:34 pm »

Are the Adobe management really such sensitive flowers that they cannot respond in an articulate manner to the myriad of people complaining about the recent difficulty in obtaining a permanent Lightroom licence? If they think that people are abusing their company they should say so (justifying their position, obviously), but there is a real problem with the way that they are currently trying to railroad people into taking out a subscription. I would love to hear what they have to say on this matter.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2015, 03:46:47 pm »

Are the Adobe management really such sensitive flowers that they cannot respond in an articulate manner to the myriad of people complaining about the recent difficulty in obtaining a permanent Lightroom licence?
Why should the respond, what would they gain? I'd like my HBO subscription to be half of what it is, I'd like my Verizion bill to be lower. Heck, I'd like the cost of gas to be 50 cents like when I was just learning to drive. I should write to each company along with each gas company and complain and have them explain to me, justify the cost?
If they think that people are abusing their company they should say so (justifying their position, obviously), but there is a real problem with the way that they are currently trying to railroad people into taking out a subscription. I would love to hear what they have to say on this matter.
Railroad? Who at Adobe is holding a gun to your head to subscribe.
If you don't like the subscription model, don't subscribe.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up