Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feeling cheated, bought map of area, but found same one for free  (Read 9381 times)

Jglaser757

I recently purchased map of area I'm going to soon. The map was made by a photographer for photographers. I also read their website and they wrote a rant about a company that did the same exact map with same locations. They stated that the idea was stolen, but a lawsuite was too expensive. I decided that I would support this photographer and purchase the map.

What I got was a an email link to pdf's.

Once downloaded I noticed rather blurry pdf's with poor resolution.  I was extremely disappointed.

So, I went looking for higher quality maps for purchase or free. I went to AAA and other sites in search of a map. Which brought me full circle back to the company that "stole" the idea.  Well I contacted them and received a "real" map for free. It's high resolution , decent size and also available online.

amolitor

Re: Feeling cheated, bought map of area, but found same one for free
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 10:58:50 pm »

I guess we know who stoles what from whom, eh?

Jglaser757

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 11:35:38 pm »

Mm mm?  I never thought of that!

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 08:11:39 pm »

Best bargain - USGS quads - download for free, print (if you wish) at home. Don't complain that the U.S. Government doesn't do anything useful! The 1:24,000 quads are great for hikers.

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 06:19:04 pm »

Best bargain - USGS quads - download for free, print (if you wish) at home. Don't complain that the U.S. Government doesn't do anything useful! The 1:24,000 quads are great for hikers.

+1

Otto Phocus

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 11:14:11 am »

I fear that too many people are not aware of the number and variety of maps/charts available for free or at minimal cost.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Petrus

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 11:44:41 am »

I bought a Garmin navigator for my car. Basic map which covers all Europe is ok, but can not be detailed (even if all streets are there). Topographic map of Finland from Garmin would have cost something around 200€ One internet shop had customer comment "why pay 200€ when you can get this free?". Lo and behold, somebody had made a Garmin compatible 1:20000 topo map of Finland from the government mapping data which has now been in public domain for several years. It works and looks much more interesting that the bland basic map which comes with the gadget. It has contours, lake depths, vegetation, everything.

The only problem is the amount of data, navigator processor does not have enough muscle to show a large area like more than 10 km across.

Jglaser757

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 04:52:45 pm »

The more I discover thru other maps, the more I think the person that sold me a blurry PDF copy should be ashamed of themselves. Especially since their a "photographer" too. And,,THey have refunded my money..I guess they felt it was easier to refund than go thru rants!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 11:11:18 am by Jglaser757 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up