Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to remove Adobe Creative Cloud but keep my Lightroom 6 install  (Read 17019 times)

hjulenissen

Hi all.

I have purchased a license for Lightroom 6 stand-alone. It is running fine.

Now, in order to be able to install Lightroom, Adobe forced me to install some crapware called "Adobe Creative Cloud". When I try to uninstall it, it says "Could not uninstall Creative Cloud for desktop. Creative Cloud programs installed on your computer needs it to work properly".

It seems to me that Adobe considers my Lightroom install to be Lightroom CC and not Lightroom 6 (I could forgive them the confusion as they themselvesseem to try to make it very hard). Any advice on sorting this out? Google had some suggestions that seemed inconclusive (install some 3rd party CC cleaner, start windows in "secure mode", delete all registry entries starting with "Adobe" sounds a little overkill for legal users?)

best regards
-h

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: How to remove Adobe Creative Cloud but keep my Lightroom 6 install
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 03:11:24 pm »

Under Help, System Info, what's the licence method? It'll be either CC or Perpetual. You'll also see this in the splash screen's lower left.

If it's CC and you're not subscribing, then you're still in trial mode and haven't entered your serial number. See here.

You'll still have the CC app, though can't you just go into the Windows startup config and prevent it from starting?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 03:13:32 pm by john beardsworth »

dennbel

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 04:47:15 pm »

Don't think it can be removed. I too only wanted and thought I installed just the standalone, but the CC thing is tied in with it. You can keep it from interfering but you can't remove it. If you do, LR won't start.  (My experience)

dreed

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 07:27:20 pm »

Now, in order to be able to install Lightroom, Adobe forced me to install some crapware called "Adobe Creative Cloud". When I try to uninstall it, it says "Could not uninstall Creative Cloud for desktop. Creative Cloud programs installed on your computer needs it to work properly".

That's because the updates are managed by CC for desktop.

If CC is bothering you then the best thing to do is run up msconfig.exe and stop it from starting at boot/login.

aebolzan

• agustinbolzan
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 07:56:46 pm »

I installed the CC trial first and with it, the CC program was also installed. Then, I bought the full non-CC version from B&H and uninstalled the trial one before installing the stand alone LR6. What I did not do was to also remove the CC program. Now, when I try to do that, a window opens saying that it cannot be uninstalled because it is linked to some application in the system. So, I went to the "Help" file in order to find information about this issue and found that the Help file does not exist.....there are some ocassions when I really hate Adobe: one was when I wanted to just buy the upgrade version and the only way was from Adobe site and Adobe refuses that because my country was apparently not in the list of countries for selling LR through the web, so I was obliged to buy the full version or nothing. Now I found this issue and there is no Help file, I do not understand why I must  have this CC icon on the desktop if my version is not CC, I find that the start of LR takes quite more time than before and also find no explanation......I am rather exhausted with Adobe....

Agustin

Mousecop

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 11:07:41 pm »

....there are some ocassions when I really hate Adobe....
It isn't really Adobe's fault that installing and uninstalling apps on Windows is a disaster that will never be fixed.

Try using the Microsoft Uninstallation Fixit to remove CC.

indusphoto

• 500px
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 02:32:59 am »

It isn't really Adobe's fault that installing and uninstalling apps on Windows is a disaster that will never be fixed.

It is not a disaster. It is just dependent on an app being good citizen and providing tools to Uninstall. Aside from viruses and spam, there are few application which do not comply.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 04:13:02 am by indusphoto »

hjulenissen

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 05:59:51 am »

If CC is bothering you then the best thing to do is run up msconfig.exe and stop it from starting at boot/login.
The reason why I brought this up at all was that CC popped up requesting me to fill in username/password. As I saw no use of the app, I tried to uninstall it, to no avail.

So what are the odds that some suit in Adobe has his/her bonus tied in to the number of installed/active CC? The rational response then would be to (slightly) sacrifice paying customers in order to make yourself shine in the corporate ladder.

-h

Steve House

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 08:26:50 am »

The missing help file was a known issue with the first release of LR2015 CC and presumably also LR6.  The pointer to the online help that was hard coded into the product was an incorrect, Adobe internal testing, URL.  An update published a couple of weeks ago fixed it.  Use check updates and see if one is available for your copy. 

indusphoto

• 500px
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 04:14:47 pm »

The reason why I brought this up at all was that CC popped up requesting me to fill in username/password. As I saw no use of the app, I tried to uninstall it, to no avail.

So what are the odds that some suit in Adobe has his/her bonus tied in to the number of installed/active CC? The rational response then would be to (slightly) sacrifice paying customers in order to make yourself shine in the corporate ladder.

-h

If you have the physical copy of LR6, you can simply uninstall LR6 and then you should be able to uninstall CC. After this cleanup, reinstall LR6, taking care of the steps you go through.

jnewell

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 07:11:50 pm »

If you have the physical copy of LR6, you can simply uninstall LR6 and then you should be able to uninstall CC. After this cleanup, reinstall LR6, taking care of the steps you go through.

This ought to work with either the physical disk or the download file, no?

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 08:17:46 pm »

Lightroom CC 2015 and Lightroom 6 are both the identical software package. They are just licensed differently.
The link below will clarify the myths.
 http://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-cc6-myths-confusion/
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

indusphoto

• 500px
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 04:55:44 pm »

This ought to work with either the physical disk or the download file, no?

I am pretty sure that download version of LR will install CC. In fact it installs CC which then installs LR. I suppose that the version with physical media will come with full distribution of LR6 without the intermediary of CC.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 05:34:00 pm »

I am pretty sure that download version of LR will install CC. In fact it installs CC which then installs LR. I suppose that the version with physical media will come with full distribution of LR6 without the intermediary of CC.

No, the software is identical. It's whether you activate it by a serial number or by subscription that changes whether it looks/behaves like 6 or CC.

So to "This ought to work with either the physical disk or the download file?" - yes, it doesn't matter if you use disc or download.
Pages: [1]   Go Up