Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5Dsr hands on review  (Read 5616 times)

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: Canon 5Dsr hands on review
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 12:20:32 am »

http://www.cnet.com/products/canon-eos-5ds-r/

A disappointing review. Maybe the AA filter is too strong, the lenses not good enough?
Nikon have had more time to get their lenses in shape for hi rez.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

torger

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 03:55:39 am »

I would wait a while and see more tests. Canon should have good lenses. Not MFD tech cam good, but good in the 135 space.

I do not think the most jagged and aliased image is the one with better image quality. Pixelpeep should be slightly soft, ideally equally slightly soft corner to corner, that image will look great at any scale, even if rotated, perspective corrected or other applied transformations.

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 03:59:15 am »

And not to forget this is pre production model

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 04:52:05 am »

A disappointing review. Maybe the AA filter is too strong, the lenses not good enough?

There is no AA in the 5DSR, or at least there is a cancelled one, like in the D800e.  The D800e and the D810 show virtually the same resolution.  And the Sigma 50mm Art will 'outresolve' anything that's thrown at it in the center.

Looking at linear spatial resolution from information in just the raw data of DPR's Studio Scene captures it seems that the 5DSR is every bit as sharp in the center as the D810, about 1500 lp/ph, with a touch less aliasing.  The captures were taken with different 85mm lenses, as you can check there.  I wonder if the tester fine tuned the lenses before conducting the test.  Or perhaps the raw converter is not mature yet.

Jack
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 05:06:09 am by Jack Hogan »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 05:59:17 am »

A disappointing review.

Indeed, it's a poor review.
Quote from: cnet.com
You can sometimes get better results from the raw files (ISO 3200).

Need I say more after such a comment.

Okay, ISO 3200, on a studio camera, get real. We already knew this wasn't a camera for underexposed low noise results, it requires proper exposure and controlled lighting (or bracketing) to make stunning images.
Judging based on OOC JPEG's, get real. Ever heard of good Raw conversions, deconvolution capture sharpening?

Maybe the AA filter is too strong, the lenses not good enough?
Nikon have had more time to get their lenses in shape for hi rez.

The 5DS R has a low-pass canceling filter, and the redesigned for digital lenses of recent years are quite good, even the zooms. What apertures were they using? Looking at Diffraction at the pixel level? I'd suspect the tester's Capture sharpening skills are also poor or non-existing.

Try a Raw conversion (even with a mediocre converter like ACR) of one of the base ISO shots at Imaging Resource, and use proper Capture sharpening. Resolution is excellent, as expected, color looks nice but we need to wait for e.g. Capture One's take on Raw conversions and ICC profiling to compare with ACR.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Josef Isayo

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 05:09:51 pm »

Ed B

• Light Conspiracy
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 12:58:47 am »

Does anyone really read Cnet for camera reviews?

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 05:13:12 am »

Does anyone really read Cnet for camera reviews?

Well.. not really but, it doesn't mean necessarily that they are bad or inaccurate and sometimes you just do it for sake of it! But what's wrong with Cnet anyhow? Any bad experience with them or just simply prejudice?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 05:29:38 am by alifatemi »

Ed B

• Light Conspiracy
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 09:53:01 pm »

Well.. not really but, it doesn't mean necessarily that they are bad or inaccurate and sometimes you just do it for sake of it! But what's wrong with Cnet anyhow? Any bad experience with them or just simply prejudice?
Predjudice is a strong word. If I were looking to buy a new phone or computer, Cnet would be a place I would look. A high end camera, not so much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up