Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to clear 'Other' Mac files  (Read 17115 times)

MarkJohnson

Re: How to clear 'Other' Mac files
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2015, 07:58:15 am »

Thank you both. I just changed the permissions of all those cups files to 'everyone' - 'read & write' and restarted: they are all still there. Don't know at what stage they would have been deleted but I'll manually do it now. 'System' permission for those files had been 'read & write' all along which I would have thought would have sufficed for their systematic autodeletion. Interesting problem now hopefully fixed.
Mark J

MarkJohnson

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2015, 07:35:43 am »

I resumed printing today and am watching the cups folder again fill up with files. At the start of each print from LR, a c0000x file of constant size 16 Kb is generated and a d0000x-001 file of between 218.1 MB for an A4 and 1.8 GB for a 20"x24" image on a 24" roll. The oldest of these files I deleted yesterday was from last March; I installed LR6 in April so I guess it's not specifically LR6 doing it.
Mark J

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2015, 10:05:48 am »

hello Mark, interesting problem...

the question is who is responsible for cleaning up the cups?

Maybe you can check the permissions- maybe they are wrong and some program does not have permissions to clean up..?

What printer and software do you use? Maybe reinstall some printing software..

Is it the system?  you can always run the 10.9.5 combo updater to have  a reborn system to some degree...

you can check the console ( in utlilities) if there are any messages after printing about not being able to clean up the cups...

and at last i have come up with this

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203343

cheers PK

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Manoli

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2015, 11:14:13 am »

I installed LR6 in April so I guess it's not specifically LR6 doing it.

What other applications are you printing from ?
I'd suggest you change all the permissions to 'read and write' and systematically work through them and the printing app(s) to see at what point (which user group & permission combo) and with which app, the files remain undeleted.

The uniformity of the file sizes suggest that these are imaging print files.

MarkJohnson

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2015, 11:41:18 am »

Pieter, I print from LR to an Epson Stylus Pro 7900 (using a custom paper profile) - same set up for the last 4-5 years. Console has a vast amount of information but I can't see any note about cups today. I've emailed Adobe about the issue and will await any reply before trying the 10.9.5 updater.
Manoli, I just print from LR6, and also Epson Printer Utility 4 for nozzle checks. The c0000x files are of constant small size but the d0000x-001 files vary accoriding to print size, as mentioned, from between 218.1 MB to 1.8 GB. Definitely imaging print files as you can see them popping up in Finder as soon as the LR printing is initiated. I changed permissions of all the files yesterday but it didn't make any difference. Could you detail precisely the further permission checks you had in mind?
Thanks very much again to you both for your further suggestions.
Meanwhile, it's no big deal to manually delete these files while awaiting a definitive understanding and solution to this issue.
Mark J

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2015, 12:25:52 pm »

Viewing my CUPs folder, a mere 1.9mb so something is way overloaded on your end.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

MarkJohnson

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2015, 12:38:26 pm »

I assume it's normal for those files to enter cups folder during LR printing. As mentioned, I can see them appearing in the folder at the start of a print job. Then I assume the files are cleared by the system soon after. Could you observe your cups folder while printing from LR and see what happens?
Mark J
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up