Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sawtooth Ridgeline  (Read 6654 times)

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
Sawtooth Ridgeline
« on: May 19, 2015, 07:43:23 pm »

Some shots from the pass right after a snowstorm up Virginia Pass in the eastern/high sierras.  Heading out to Lassen this weekend. 
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

polaris-14

• Portfolio
Re: Sawtooth Ridgeline
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 08:19:07 pm »

Beautiful. It's so majestic in B&W. I really like the vertical composition of the last shot. I wonder if it would benefit from a little bit of cropping on the bottom right?
Adhika Lie
Website | Flickr

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 09:25:37 pm »

Great location and magnificent views, now get the main focal point off-centre!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 02:46:18 pm »

Great location and magnificent views, now get the main focal point off-centre!

+1 to all of that!

Jeremy

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 04:44:35 pm »

What specifically could we make better about the composition from these viewpoints?

Image one and two I would have taken the horizon line into the center or below it.

¿ Is it desired to critique images here in this forum ? I do not want to drop a brick here  ???
Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 11:08:37 pm »

Critique on my photography is always welcome, it's why I post them here.  As far as off center, that's easily accomplished, I have this as a huge file with plenty of room to drill in and alter the composition.  You might notice in image 3 the jet streams I was dealing with.  Unfortunately the only way to keep that distraction out of the photo is a tight composition, or to digitally alter the file in post.  I'm not a fan of digital alter, and I'm not a fan of man made things in my photography.  The attached photograph is an example of a fantastic aspen glow opportunity "foiled" ... I didn't follow the crop of the bottom right.  I was considering what you said, and had trouble envisioning what you had in mind.  Lux, what would the off center benefit be, I'm not sure I understand this either.
Maddog Murph

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 10:04:27 am »

... and I'm not a fan of man made things in my photography ...

That is understandable but that the price we have to pay for technical development. More planes, more cars, more people, more of everything ...

Perhaps 40 years ago the same Landscape would have been easier possible with Film photography but you would have seen the result 3-4 days later and going back would not have given you the same light.

Today you shoot, you look at the display and can repeat it almost immediately without a big change in illumination

¿ What do you prefer ?  :)
 I am here for

Peter McLennan

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 12:13:26 pm »

Lux, what would the off center benefit be, I'm not sure I understand this either.

It's very seldom you put the image's focal point in the center of the frame.  I think conventional wisdom is that it's boring to the eye. Painters know this, so should we.

Shooting drama, you never center the actor in the frame.  The only exception to this rule is when the actor is addressing the camera.

The sunset image with the contrails is a good candidate for sky replacement. :)

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 06:01:22 pm »

I think that the problem of #1 and 2 is that there is nearly no space above that nice mountain peak and that is why somehow the symmetry in these 2 images does not work.

Maybe with half or more of the image filled with sky above that peak, his majestic look, the problem of being centred would not be in discussion.

I wanted to download an image but they are too small to really get something acceptable as an example.

???
 I am here for

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 07:01:41 pm »

It's very seldom you put the image's focal point in the center of the frame.  I think conventional wisdom is that it's boring to the eye. Painters know this, so should we.

Shooting drama, you never center the actor in the frame.  The only exception to this rule is when the actor is addressing the camera.

I think Peter made the point here.

Probably a good time to notice that main focal point is actually centered in just 1 of those 4.

Perhaps conventional wisdom results in cliché images :-)

"Probably a good time to notice that main focal point is actually centred" (left to right) in 4 "of those 4". Surely you noticed this, Isaac. Stop being an SD! Pedants like you drive people away from great forums like LuLa.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Isaac

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 08:44:50 pm »

"Probably a good time to notice that main focal point is actually centred" (left to right) in 4 "of those 4". Surely you noticed this, Isaac. Stop being an SD! Pedants like you drive people away from great forums like LuLa.

I noticed the main focal point is central horizontally and off-center vertically.

Is name-calling and a wild accusation really the best you have to offer as support for your aesthetic judgements?

(SD, referring to the phrase small dick. Obviously someone nicknamed SD has a small dick. It can be used literally, or as an insult.)

AreBee

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 08:22:50 am »

Rainer,

I think that the problem of #1 and 2 is that there is nearly no space above that nice mountain peak...

Maybe with half or more of the image filled with sky above that peak...

I wanted to download an image but they are too small...

You can test your theory by using an appropriately sized image of a mountain sourced from the internet.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 10:57:10 am »

Is name-calling and a wild accusation really the best you have to offer as support for your aesthetic judgements?

Thing is, Isaac, you do this often. Terry's comment is germane. Your posts are frequently pedantic and confrontational.  Rather than provoking discussion, they're just irritating. Yes, we can simply put you on an ignore list, but then we'd miss your positive contributions, too.

Just sayin'

AreBee

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 11:48:19 am »

Peter,

It's very seldom you put the image's focal point in the center of the frame.

One notable exception being when the subject exhibits symmetry about one or more axes.

Single axis symmetry of the human form is revealed when the actor directly faces the camera. Consequently, the actor is centred horizontally.

Consider maddogmurph's photo...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:35:43 pm by AreBee »

Isaac

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 02:42:16 pm »

Terry's comment is germane.

…now get the main focal point off-centre!

Terry's comment is a God-like judgement without any acknowledgement that maddogmurph may have intended that rock spire to dominate his picture; and placed the rock spire in the upper part of the picture, centered horizontally, to achieve that effect.

It matters that the main focal point is not actually in the centre of the picture, so we look up at the rock spire.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:05:25 pm by Isaac »

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 04:26:42 pm »

You've both got great points.  In 1&2 this close up to the spire there is no alternative (due to the encroaching foreground mountains) and I think the way that I've captured it is the most interesting, however, it's still not that interesting... even at best capture. 

Terry has a valid point as I've cropped into 3 taking the right 3/4 of the picture, and making the spire take the upper left quadrant with better effect than currently displayed.  The eye is still lead to the spire because the bottom right of the picture is dark.  I'll post this result when I'm back from my trip.

My general conclusion, 1&2 are duds as beautiful as they are, they just don't have any zing.  3 could work as a crop. 

As for the 4th... well I still am not sure about it.  The problem I have is that the mountains in back are faded, but I do like the foreground composition, so the comment on cropping that section is still baffling to me.  Perhaps there is some treatment of the top of the image to make it more crisp.
Maddog Murph

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 04:33:40 pm »

Not having English as my first tongue, I'm learning a lot here. What is more correct - "an SD" or "a SD"?
Or maybe the sentence should be reframed - right now, the main object is off centre.

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 05:51:24 pm »

What is more correct - "an SD" or "a SD"?
Well I don't know what an SD is... but I can help with your off centered English question.  The correct usage is "a" as I'm assuming that the following word does not begin with "a" vowel as indicated by the letter "S" which I'm assuming is "an" acronym.  There you have it.
Maddog Murph

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 07:54:26 pm »

Well I don't know what an SD is... but I can help with your off centered English question.  The correct usage is "a" as I'm assuming that the following word does not begin with "a" vowel as indicated by the letter "S" which I'm assuming is "an" acronym.  There you have it.

Thank you!
It could stand for - Short Richard from South Dakota, shaken and defocused

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2015, 04:15:16 am »

I'd say you're wrong. The letter "S", when pronounced, begins with a vowel; and "an SD", is correctly pronounced "an ess dee". The alternative, "a ess dee" sounds clumsy and is not in accordance with your example.

You are correct only if the abbreviation (which is not technically an acronym, although I have to accept that that argument is being lost) is expanded while speaking: "a South Dakota"  :)

Jeremy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up