Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Credo 60 Liveview is too hazy for focusing sometimes—Problem now solved!  (Read 1151 times)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers

Below is my original post. In it, I said I had the quality control set to maximum quality. I have since found that I had the control set to minimum quality! Since moving the control to the far right of the slide, the view in the viewfinder has improved out of sight and the haziness I formerly experienced has disappeared. I am so relieved despite my stupidity!

Original post:
I have had my Credo 60 for three years now and I depend on Liveview for accurate focusing on my various systems. Usually, it works well but when trying to focus on dark areas in low light, Liveview sometimes shows a mess of pixels that I cannot discern any lines or edges to focus on. I have tried using a less dense ND filter and adjusting the Liveview brightness control on the back but nothing seems to consistently resolve the problem.

In bright sunlight, I use an 8-stop ND filter (Lee Big Stopper) with Liveview. In low light, I use a 6-stop ND filter (Lee Little Stopper) and I have tried even less dense filter arrangements. Nothing seems to work consistently.

The problem is worse when the subject does not have a clearly visible edge. I always have the quality controller set to maximum.

Has anyone worked out a reliable solution? If so, please share!
Roger

PS After adjusting the Liveview brightness control on the back, I have to exit Liveview to get the sliders to disappear and then re-engage Liveview. Is there a simple way to get the sliders to disappear?
Rogerxnz

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 06:08:24 am by rogerxnz »
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

vjbelle

Re: Credo 60 Liveview is too hazy for focusing sometimes
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 02:40:56 pm »

I don't own the Credo 60 but do own an IQ180 which should be similar.  I have always taken the approach of adding just enough ND so that the back live view image doesn't blow out.  I have never had to use the Lee Big Stopper (which I believe is 10 stops) and on extremely bright days I can easily get by with the Lee Little Stopper.  On overcast days I actually might not need any light attenuation.  I have experienced your situation but usually when the viewing conditions are extremely dark.  The only solution for me was to add some light.  I have also found live view on the CCD backs to be somewhat frustrating and only getting me close.  I have found it much easier to just open up the lens and shoot an image and view at 100% on the back with a loupe.  I can usually nail focus with the next shot.  I don't care about the wasted images - at least I know I'm in focus.

Victor

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Credo 60 Liveview is too hazy for focusing sometimes
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 03:55:50 pm »

And or tether as the view on a Surface Pro screen is much better then the LCD. The LCD will also have issues in shadow areas on playback at least in my experience. 

I started tethering after reading the write up by Ken Doo and have found it to be an excellent solution.

Live view is hit or miss and on the CCD backs tends to generate a lot of heat and thus more noise.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up