Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cold Mounting tissue?  (Read 9416 times)

disneytoy

Cold Mounting tissue?
« on: May 19, 2015, 12:06:35 am »

I'm about to order a 39" cold laminator, mainly for Epson Glossy (250) and Moab Entrada, mounting to 3mm sintra.  i print as large as 44". I don't really know what mounting tissue i should consider.

Thanks

Maxi

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Cold Mounting tissue?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 09:08:08 am »

A thin, even tissue for the glossy papers, a thick, high tack tissue for the art papers like Entrada. Both archival versions.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

disneytoy

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 01:53:04 pm »

What is a budget material I can use for the Glossy 250 Epson on Sintra? I will have a manual 39" laminator.

Thanks

aaronchan

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 02:04:48 pm »

instead of "tissue", we use adhesive.
GBC or Neschen are the names.
google them

aaron

disneytoy

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 02:24:30 pm »

I came from Seal mount hot mounting tissue. I understand it is a double stick adhesive. I understand the mounting process. Is there a good brand to use (in the US) that is on the budget side?

Larry Heath

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 05:14:47 pm »

In the for what it’s worth column here is the roll film I use, is a 0.5 mill poly carrier double sticky with single release liner.

http://www.usi-laminate.com/store/wpbec_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3602&search=cold%20mount%20tisser

164’ by 41” on 3” core. 222.70/roll

From http://www.usi-laminate.com/

It has worked quite well for me, on my manual 45” laminator roller. I’ve done both glossy and textured fine art papers with this material, again no problems. Mostly I just make 40” sticky boards and cut to appropriate size. I use Gator Board so I can’t say how this material would work with Sintra from first hand, but I expect it would work just fine.

Later Larry

disneytoy

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 10:28:14 pm »

Thanks Larry, I just wanted advice from someone's first hand experience.

Maxi

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 03:57:53 am »

If you want specific descriptions; I use Zenith KKD and KKDV for resp. RC and matte Fine Art papers. On DiBond quality panels and rag mounting board. It will be harder to find the Zenith mounting adhesives in the USA so I did not include their names in the first message.

The company has good instruction videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmYSL3j7XXs

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

disneytoy

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 06:44:07 pm »

I'm on a budget. I'm about to buy an ebay 39" Cold Laminator. I have a 44" printer. I'd prefer one that I could mount 44" wide prints in the future but the cost goes up quite a bit over the 39" 1 meter version.

I checked out the Drytac MediaTac adhesive recommended by Larry. Are there any less costly products? I think the one recommended cost $222 a roll.

i'm not high volume.

disneytoy

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 06:49:56 pm »

Thanks  Ernst!

I've watched all those videos. They are excellent. he makes it look so easy.

disneytoy

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 01:36:10 am »

Larry,

I'm leaning tords the MediaTac you use. But with a single release liner isn't ther a lot of waste? You cant use only part of the 41" length. Say I am mounting a 34" piece. There are double release liners?

hugowolf

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 07:42:30 pm »

Larry,

I'm leaning tords the MediaTac you use. But with a single release liner isn't ther a lot of waste? You cant use only part of the 41" length. Say I am mounting a 34" piece. There are double release liners?

You will Rapidly gain plenty of used release paper to wrap any off cuts, if that is something you want to do.

Brian A

stcstc31

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 09:07:38 am »

its always going to be a film for cold mounting. mounting tissue is just that tissue impregnated with adhesive (heat activated). and only activates  under tempreture

mount film is cheap, and so wastage isnt worth worrying about really

i use a hi tac film fo most things, apart from metalic prints, i use facemount film as normal mount film will show orange peel on metalic papers

Stephen Crozier

www.360-dpi.com

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 12:39:56 pm »

It's the trade off of self wound materials - costs less to make (one less release liner), and the roll has a smaller footprint.

We us a 44" Drytac mounter, but all the adhesives and laminates come in a 41" roll, so we just top out at 40" by max of 94"(sheet materials here either comes in 8x4' or 10x5', and we can't get 10x5' through the front door...). For an easy life, the max size we advertise is 40x60".

We switch between mediatac, ultratac and facemount, depending on whats being used. Facemount is twin release, so for those special jobs , you may find yourself building up a stock of odd off-cut sizes.

"You will Rapidly gain plenty of used release paper to wrap any off cuts, if that is something you want to do."

Along with dust.

disneytoy

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 01:18:20 pm »

Isn't the facemount material pretty expensive, I remember?

Question: With the single release (mediatac) say I buy the 41" roll and I have a 39" laminator. If i have a 24x20" print to mount to Sintra,

Walk me through the process where I can not wast the full 41" width?

With the doublr release, I just cut a section the size i need and the remainter remains protected from dirt and dust.

stcstc31

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 03:12:35 am »

yep facemount is expensive, BUT for the jobs that need the best. it is

as for sizes. buy 2 rolls and have you supplier log cut one of them in half, so you have 2 narrower rolls,

i have a 54 " wide laminator and generally have 1040mm roll of self wound on it, and to tell you the truth even sticking something 12" wide, will just use the same roll as the stuff is relatively cheap compared to what i would sell it for. i have a 35% wastage built into my pricing so on most jobs its covered on some maybe not

Stephen Crozier

www.360-dpi.com

Richard.Wills

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 03:22:07 am »

Facemount is horribly, eye-wateringly expensive. For the best results from very glossy paper onto very smooth substrates (no orange peel), it's pretty much the only option (unless you can get the Zenith equivalent)

With something like mediatac, unfortunately for a 24x20' print, you're looking at 24x17" of waste (plus the lead and tail lengths (another 41x12"), unless you are ganging up the prep of the substrates. So, if your workflow is prep the odd mount board here and there, then you'll want to go for a double sided mount film, with twin release. If you are looking to prep up multiple boards in batches, particularly if you are starting from larger sheets, then cutting down to size when needed, then a selfwound material would suit.

In the good old days, we were able to buy directly form the manufacturer, who would convert 41" rolls into 24+17" rolls, so we could carry all three sizes for maximum efficiency. Unfortunately that is no longer an option (nor I suspect would it be on your side of the pond)

disneytoy

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 01:29:37 pm »

Very interesting.  With a 39" 1meter laminator on the way, I guess I have to figure out what adhesive to buy.

I do many images on glossy print 34" on a 36" roll. The lenght vary from 22", 25" then larger sizes like 60-80".

I do have several 44" rolls, So at some point I'd like to print larger, too.

I went with the 39" laminator for cost reasons.

At the same time I also do smaller prints, 13x19" 16x22", etc.

-------------------------------

My hope was to have an easy way to mount everything cost effectively.

I'm not a fan of overhandling prints. Rerolling them up after printing. I wantyed a workflow where after printing, I could lsy them flat until I'm ready to mount,

So I guess I need to figure if the extra cost of a double release would have less waste. And a cheaper Mediatac would have much more waste.

Nothing simple:-)

Richard.Wills

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 01:52:56 pm »

In the UK, the Drytac products are available through two channels - those aimed at the lower volume user (photographers, small galleries etc) and the volume users (sign-makers, display graphics etc). We can get smaller rolls through the former - 24" and rolls of the double release. Through the volume channels, we get much better per sq ft prices, but fewer small options. I would imagine there is a similar network over your side.

If this is your first laminator, then you have a rather steep learning curve ahead of you, particularly if you have no-one on hand to pass down tips and techniques, and as you are starting off on a manual mounter, you have a limited number of limbs to work with. So, you may well find life easier, and the learning process more forgiving, to start off on a high quality double release material.
Not face mount, but one of the better Drytac paper release ones, as these are more forgiving to set up.

They've very recently updated some of their instructional videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBVnpOHmUOU, which although they refer to facemount, overlap some of the Zenith ones linked earlier.

disneytoy

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2015, 05:12:08 pm »

Great info Richard, I'm watching those videos now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up