Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My H1 to H5 Upgrade: Was it worth it?  (Read 10946 times)

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
My H1 to H5 Upgrade: Was it worth it?
« on: May 18, 2015, 08:10:41 pm »

I know that the H5-40 has been out for awhile and that there's big, better, faster backs out there with more sex appeal, but I figure that there's plenty of folk out there who don't feel like dropping $20k plus for the latest and greatest who might be interested in my experience. I was able to pick up my H5 as certified used from Hasselblad for under $8,000 - which, after selling my old system, brought upgrading to within a relatively easy reach. The good news is that the expense was definitely worth it.

After owning an H1 with Leaf Aptus 22 and then Aptus 75s for the past seven years, I recently decided to upgrade the whole system to the H5. I loved the IQ of the Leaf backs, but I had a real problem with tethering. The new Macbook Pros don't have Firewire inputs which meant I had to use an adapter and a powered hub. Unfortunately, the connection wasn't consistent for me which left me to bust out my 2006 Macbook Pro for location work (can you say slooowww?). To not be able to rely on tethered shooting with my H system was a real nonstarter so I either got rid of it or I upgraded. I did the latter.

I'm loving the H5's integration of the back and the body. During a recent all day shoot where I shot tethered on location, I was able to make it through the day with one battery on the grip. Pretty impressive that a single battery was able to power the camera, lens, back and push the data through to the laptop through a long day of shooting. Tethering is a dream. The back uses Firewire, but a simple adapter to Thunderbolt works great. The H5 back (unlike the H4-40) is designed with enough power to push the data out to the computer without a powered hub. Super stable - way more stable than the D800 and even the D810. The Phocus software is easy enough to use. I like the Phocus app for use on the iPhone. Super easy to use with no technical configuring. Just click and go. Tethering in Lightroom is a breeze as well.

The True Focus feature does its job too. Wasn't perfect but I've had few out of focus shots since I started using it. The 40 MP resolution is more than enough for anything I'll do. I print my fine art portraits at 44x60  - much larger than life. The detail and sharpness at that size is stunning. You can stick your nose to the print and it still holds together. I accidentally shot a portrait at 400 ISO and then printed it big. No discernible noise. Not saying there was no noise, but you really have to pixel peep to catch it in the final print (and I used no noise reduction).

Here's some samples - though they don't do the actual files justice. This first series was with Crystal Harris Hefner (as in Hugh's wife). These haven't been to the retoucher. They've been hit with quick density adjustments in LR but that's it:

Shot with the 80mm wide open.

Shot on location. No tethering. I've got to say that the upgrade on the preview screen is welcome. It's not super high res, but it sure beats the old low res barely-make-out-what-you're-shooting LCD of the 75s back.

Here's a crop at 100%. Used True Focus to focus on eye and recomposed. (There's softening in converting to jpeg and then uploading to gallery. Actual file is sharper still; you can see that the veins in the eyeball are tack sharp and the eyelashes are slightly soft.)

Anyhow, if you get one of those Hasselblad emails announcing a sale on used backs and you're wondering if it's worth it, my answer is yes!

John
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 08:14:58 pm by Juanito »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: My H1 to H5 Upgrade: Was it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 08:46:30 pm »

Very impressive samples. Thanks for posting.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 09:53:32 pm »

Very nice! If I may, at what aperture were these shot?

I would guess around f11?

Cheers,
Bernard

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 11:57:50 pm »

Very nice! If I may, at what aperture were these shot?

I would guess around f11?

Thanks. The swimwear shots were at f5.6 (with the exception of the last one which was f2.8 ).  The portraits were shot at around f8.5/f11'

John  
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 12:40:11 am by Juanito »

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 12:10:06 am »

Congratulations on your new system.

I'm curious why you chose an H5 over a Phase system (either H5X+Phase or DF+Phase)? Was there anything other than price?

It's just good for us to know what we need to improve to win more clients.

I received this question off-forum but I prefer to respond on the forum so that more people can benefit from the discussion. I chose the H system to begin with because of the leaf shutter inherent throughout the system (which was my motivating factor). Yes, I could have purchased a Mamiya/Phase system with the leaf shutter lenses, but the camera never won me over plus the leaf shutter lenses are way expensive. They're also difficult to find second hand (which means I'd be forced to by new, unlike with Hasselblad which has a healthy used lens market). Basically, I preferred the Hasselblad system plus it had the least expensive path to acquiring a full kit of came and lenses.

As far as going with a 5DX + phase. I never really considered it because the 5Dx camera alone is so expensive. Add on the DB that I'd want and I suspect I'd be well into five figures. The H5 was an easy and affordable upgrade. It also helped that I have a Hasselblad rep not far from me who drove to my studio to allow me to test the gear.

John

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 01:50:19 am »

I suspect that we have the same Hasselblad rep who actually came by today. One of the reasons I went with Hasselblad as well.

It also helped that I have a Hasselblad rep not far from me who drove to my studio to allow me to test the gear.

John
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 04:14:03 am »

Congratulations on the system and the shots.
I had an H2 with Phase back and then went to an H3DII-31. I agree that the the integrated Hasselblad system is much better. There is a special on H5D-40 at the moment but $8K is a great price.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

gazwas

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 04:20:02 am »

Great set of pictures - are you using the ring flash as a fill light as there seems to be direction to the lighting rather than the straight ring flash look.

The tethering stability sounds excellent, is this something Phase backs still struggle with without powered adapters or has that been solved now?
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

NickT

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 05:49:50 am »

The H5 back (unlike the H4-40) is designed with enough power to push the data out to the computer without a powered hub. Super stable - way more stable than the D800 and even the D810.

Minor correction, I use and H4D40 without a powered hub tethered to either a Macbook Pro or an iMac all day every day and it is rock solid.

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 09:11:11 am »

Are you connecting via FireWire or FireWire to Thunderbolt? I was told that one of the improvements of the H5 over the H4 was that the 5 was designed to be able to push data out along the FireWire to Thunderbolt connection. If the H4 works as well as the H5, then there's another $1,000 someone can save.

John

alexluuphoto

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 03:42:56 pm »

Where can I find a h5d-40 for 8k. I would buy one right now lol

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 04:31:24 pm »

I made a similar move, from a H1 and P22+ to H5X and Credo 40. Worth it alone for True Focus.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 05:54:32 pm »

We really need a Hassy rep here! Money calls!

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

JV

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 07:15:55 pm »

Hasselblad has a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) list.

The H5D-40 usually is listed (if any available) for between $9K and $10K but sometimes there are CPO sales offering 15% or 25% discounts.

Recently they had I believe 3 H5D-40 units for under $8K.

alexluuphoto

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 10:35:42 pm »

Been checking for the past month and a half for one on cpo never seen a h5d-40 on the list. Only deals I can recall is like the 2.5-5 percent leasiing deal for pre owned. Probably just gonna get a pentax 645z with 55mm if I don't see any good deals for the hasselblad. I would prefer the leaf shutter over the high ISO if I can get my hands on a h5d.

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 10:52:31 pm »

Been checking for the past month and a half for one on cpo never seen a h5d-40 on the list. Only deals I can recall is like the 2.5-5 percent leasiing deal for pre owned. Probably just gonna get a pentax 645z with 55mm if I don't see any good deals for the hasselblad. I would prefer the leaf shutter over the high ISO if I can get my hands on a h5d.

Mine was on the list that they emailed out just over three weeks ago. They had two H5-40's for 25% off. Couldn't pass it up.

John

alexluuphoto

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 11:37:25 pm »

Mine was on the list that they emailed out just over three weeks ago. They had two H5-40's for 25% off. Couldn't pass it up.

John

Goddamnit :( I need to get on that list lol. Been looking on eBay and Craigslist everyday to find a good deal. Cheapest hasselblad I found is on Craigslist for h4d-40 without lens 6k. Everyone else is pricing it 7-8k which is the price of a pentax 645z. Having a 9k budget sucks lol.

Willow Photography

• http://www.willow.no
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 03:16:52 am »

Goddamnit :( I need to get on that list lol. Been looking on eBay and Craigslist everyday to find a good deal. Cheapest hasselblad I found is on Craigslist for h4d-40 without lens 6k. Everyone else is pricing it 7-8k which is the price of a pentax 645z. Having a 9k budget sucks lol.

Hi

I have a H5D40 for sale for $8.000 :-)
Willow Photography

Joe Towner

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 11:00:11 pm »

Click here - just hold onto your credit cards...  http://www.hasselbladbron.com/cpo.pdf

It works for me as I have local Hasselblad rental options (have shot everything except the 100/2.2 and the 300).
t: @PNWMF

Chris Livsey

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 02:38:48 am »

Interestingly I note the UK prices are very similar, without adding our VAT sales tax which a business user can reclaim.
http://procentre.co.uk/sales-secondhand-medium-format-digital.php#p7AP3c113_7

I do bemoan the lack of "new" additions to the UK list, some appear to languish for ages with no price reduction as an incentive but I suppose given the relative size of the market the UK list is not bad. I just wonder if the lack of new blood is less rental bodies being renewed or lack of trade up sales?
Teamwork in London, who have had mentions here before have Phase one backs P45 and P25 they have been sitting on, perhaps literally given the video, since before Christmas with no great reductions. (They have reduced a P45 by £500 but, and I know no moving parts, it is around 500K activations) Do dealers not want to take a smaller cut and move inventory on these days?
What are we bottom fishers supposed to do  ;D

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up