Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IQ150 vs 250--whats the difference?  (Read 8130 times)

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/
IQ150 vs 250--whats the difference?
« on: May 16, 2015, 07:17:17 pm »

Phase One's new digital back--IQ150 vs  the slightly older IQ 250--whats the difference?  I must have missed something, but the specs seem to me to be the same--can someone tell me what I missed?

Thanks.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: IQ150 vs 250--whats the difference?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 07:23:38 pm »

WiFi, Dennis.

I don't think you'll miss anything by opting for the IQ150.  Tethering with a Surface Pro offers far more capabilities than WiFi.

https://kendoophotography.wordpress.com/2014/02/18/microsofts-surface-pro-2-a-game-changer-for-phase-one-iq-series-and-leaf-credo-medium-format-digital-backs/

ken

Ken R

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 07:55:09 pm »

Phase One's new digital back--IQ150 vs  the slightly older IQ 250--whats the difference?  I must have missed something, but the specs seem to me to be the same--can someone tell me what I missed?

Thanks.
WiFi, the IQ250 has it, the IQ150 does not. I think there might also be some difference regarding the warranty. But that's it as far as I know.

gdh

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 08:09:28 pm »

Thank you both--the answer right in front of me lol

I'm using the IQ280 but need the longer exposure capability of the CMOS sensor occaisionally.  The better live-view would also be nice but I need the higher res for the work I do, so a dilemma. I can't afford both but Canon's Ds could bridge the gap and I keep the 280.  We'll see.

Ken, I read with interest your link to surface-pro and further to 9v--sounds like good stuff.  Thanks

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 08:58:14 pm »

Besides no wifi. The 150 has the old case so not plastic top plate and the older style latch/release for the back. It also comes with a 1 year warranty that does not include a replacement like the value add warranty has.

Since you are using the full frame 280 the 1:3 crop may be a bit of an issue. It was for me.

Edit:  the IQ150 is also not supported in LR even the latest version CC as of 1 week ago when I last tried it.  The 250 is. Can't figure out why LR cannot fix this as a lot more shooters more than likely will not be using a tech camera on a IQ150 so the need for LCC corrections is not needed.

Paul
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 10:40:45 am by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 04:01:51 am »

Just confirming what others above have correctly said...

WiFi: IQ250 includes wireless review, editing (rating), live view, and control (if on an electronic body). The IQ150 does not. Wireless was fairly flakey at launch but had been robust and fast in our testing of late.

Warranty: the IQ250 comes with a 5 year warranty on the back and all Phase/Schneider/Mamiya bodies/lenses purchased at the same time as the back. This warranty includes a loaner back, provided at no additional cost, during any service or repair (regardless of whether the repair itself will be covered by warranty; ie if you drop it ten feet onto concrete you'll get a loaner for free while your back is repaired even though the repair wont be covered under warranty). The IQ150 has a one year warranty and does not include a loaner.

Otherwise (besides as Paul points out the plastic top panel to allow wireless on the 250) they are identical.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 07:32:47 am »

Just confirming what others above have correctly said...

WiFi: IQ250 includes wireless review, editing (rating), live view, and control (if on an electronic body). The IQ150 does not. Wireless was fairly flakey at launch but had been robust and fast in our testing of late.

Warranty: the IQ250 comes with a 5 year warranty on the back and all Phase/Schneider/Mamiya bodies/lenses purchased at the same time as the back. This warranty includes a loaner back, provided at no additional cost, during any service or repair (regardless of whether the repair itself will be covered by warranty; ie if you drop it ten feet onto concrete you'll get a loaner for free while your back is repaired even though the repair wont be covered under warranty). The IQ150 has a one year warranty and does not include a loaner.

Otherwise (besides as Paul points out the plastic top panel to allow wireless on the 250) they are identical.

Don't forget the back mounting release which releases the cover plate. The 150 has the older style which IMO is easier to work with. The IQ2 series has a different design where the release is spring loaded and you have to push down and keep applying pressure until the cover plate is released.  May not seem a big deal but it's different than the IQ280.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

gdh

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 03:05:55 pm »

All good information--Thank you.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 04:29:27 pm »

Don't forget the back mounting release which releases the cover plate. The 150 has the older style which IMO is easier to work with. The IQ2 series has a different design where the release is spring loaded and you have to push down and keep applying pressure until the cover plate is released.  May not seem a big deal but it's different than the IQ280.

Paul

All current in-production models of IQ1 & IQ2 (and Credo) backs use the spring loaded lock and it provides a more secure attachment to the various camera platforms.

BR

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 06:43:15 pm »

All current in-production models of IQ1 & IQ2 (and Credo) backs use the spring loaded lock and it provides a more secure attachment to the various camera platforms.

BR

Yair

Might want to check your facts on the IQ1 current production. I believe they still use the older non spring loaded mechanism. They are using the older IQ1 case which comes with that older style release. I know for a fact the 150 does not come with the new style release as I have used a recent version which was new. Can't speak for Credo not having used one.  I am very familiar with both styles of back release styles.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

vjbelle

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 08:32:07 am »

I have both an IQ180 and Credo 50 and the latching system is very different with the Credo being the most secure.  My IQ back has a locking slider and a push button for release.  The slider is operated independently from the release button.  In one position it prevents the push button from working and the other position allows operation.  It can be left in either position leaving the back vulnerable for a potential accidental release.  The Credo has a dual action release which requires the spring loaded slider to be pushed forward while pushing the locking button.  For me this is a much more secure system.

Victor

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 09:11:38 am »

I have both an IQ180 and Credo 50 and the latching system is very different with the Credo being the most secure.  My IQ back has a locking slider and a push button for release.  The slider is operated independently from the release button.  In one position it prevents the push button from working and the other position allows operation.  It can be left in either position leaving the back vulnerable for a potential accidental release.  The Credo has a dual action release which requires the spring loaded slider to be pushed forward while pushing the locking button.  For me this is a much more secure system.

Victor

Better description, than I gave for the IQ1.  To me it's simple.  IQ1, can be operated with one hand.  Simply side the lock, push the button.  IQ2 is a two handed operation, push the slider, hold it down with one hand, and push the lock with the 2nd hand. 

The difference is not that much, but the mechanisms are totally different. 

Based on my experience with the IQ150, unless Phase switched in the last 3 weeks, they are still using the old "standard" IQ1 mechanism on the 150.  This also makes sense since the 150 is using the older case, without the plastic top that all IQ1's use. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up