Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resolution in Photoshop  (Read 2897 times)

minigal

Resolution in Photoshop
« on: February 08, 2006, 11:27:05 am »

I have a question that I hope someone can answer.

When taking pictures with my Canon 20 D, when I download then onto the Mac, and open them up in PS, the size is 48x32 inches (3504x2336 pixels) with a resolution of 72. If I shoot in Raw, after processing them, they open up at 9x14 inches (3504x2336 pixels) with a resolution of 240.

My other camera, Canon A610, opens with a size of 10x14 with a resolution of 180.

Is there something I can do so that the images open up with a higher resolution, and smaller size-rather than the 48 inches?

61Dynamic

• http://
Resolution in Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 11:42:45 am »

What you are seeing is the effect of dpi. It is simply a metadata tag and has no effect on the actual size of the digital image. DPI simply is a way of translating pixel resolution into a physical dimension.

Each program is applying a different dpi to the image. I'd guess the images you bring into PS probably do not have a dpi assigned to them so PS is assigning the default 72dpi for your screen. 240dpi is the default dpi for Adobe Camera Raw.

What counts is the actual pixel dimensions of the image which is 3504x2332.

minigal

Resolution in Photoshop
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 02:10:37 pm »

I understand all that, I think, but that still doesn't my question.  Is there a way I can change the default when I open up images?

61Dynamic

• http://
Resolution in Photoshop
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 02:55:12 pm »

In Photoshop:
Image > Image Size...

Uncheck "Resample Image" and then change the dpi to what you want.

You will have to do this manually for each image. If an image does not have a dpi set when you open it, PS will assign a tag automatically.

In ACR:
The default dpi can be changed in the Workflow options at the bottom of the screen.

minigal

Resolution in Photoshop
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 03:30:29 pm »

Thank you, I understand it now.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up