Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Once again  (Read 6920 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Once again
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2015, 04:20:49 am »

Really?
"Kevin has lead photographic workshops ..."

You know, a personal email pointing an error out is all it would have taken. 

Kevin

EXACTLY! Any reasonable, proper-grammar loving individual would do just that. On second thought, a reasonable person would not have bothered for one extra letter.

One more thing!
If you are going to use ellipses, proper way (as recommended by Oxford University Styles Rules) would be to space the dots " . . ."
or if you are pressed for time, use Microsoft method "..."
But don't ever again, use " ..."

michael

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 07:11:57 am »

Luminous landscape is a high quality online mag but it isn't immune to typos (or simply the wrong choice of word). Sometimes, I feel it's almost a trademark! I don't think it matters that much but if the guys could tighten up the editing a little (maybe enlist volunteer proof readers?) it would be appreciated....

Two comments...

We are aware that our editing has sometimes left something to be desired. For this reason we recently hired a professional editor and for the past couple of months all articles have been rigorously proofread and edited by a third party.

Nevertheless, typos happen, and as but one example, a day hardly goes by when the New York Times does not note typos from the previous day's edition. Perfection is hard to attain, and sometimes not even desirable.

As for casual online messaging, on this forum or elsewhere, in my view holding it to a high standard for grammar and spelling, as some here are proposing, is just pedantry. People write online quickly, and casually, and few expect to have their Grade 8 spelling teaching standing over their shoulder when composing a post.

Also, allowance for people who are not native English speakers and/or poor typist needs to be given.

I'll simply add that I'm much more interested in what people have to write than in the correctness of their presentation, and I am interested not at all in reading anything by those who simply like to prove that they are smarter than someone else (which they likely are not).

Michael

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 09:40:52 am »

a day hardly goes by when the New York Times does not note typos from the previous day's edition.

Michael

In the newspaper industry a minimum amount of typos (very few) is actually accepted. Think about the quantity of pages that have to be completed with short deadlines (and with a lot of pressure), with no time to peer review or proof read by another person (to keep the costs down)

I agree however, that a private message would have been a better approach in this case
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up