Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas Mounting on Foamcore  (Read 2575 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Canvas Mounting on Foamcore
« on: May 14, 2015, 12:46:21 pm »

Is it possible to use any liquid coating to mount a canvas print on foamcore with a roller? Or is there something in the form of a spray can at my local WalMart?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Canvas Mounting on Foamcore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 12:58:28 pm »

I would not try to mount canvas on foamcore, even 1/2 inch.  It is not stiff enough and will allow possible dimples and the like during handling. 

Spray adhesive may work, but I also doubt it will hold long term due to the weight of the canvas.  Look into using gator.  Much more durable and will give a much more long lasting print.   

Step by step process here:

http://www.breathingcolor.com/blog/?s=canvas+on+gator

Paul

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 01:30:10 pm »

Does Lowes carry gator? Would Masonite work?
Mike

Roscolo

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 02:09:17 pm »

Is it possible to use any liquid coating to mount a canvas print on foamcore with a roller? Or is there something in the form of a spray can at my local WalMart?

You can canvas to foam core easily with Miracle Muck.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 02:34:01 pm »

Miracle muck on foamcore?  It's a wet mount and foam are will not work well. It will curl as it dries thus warping and the clay layer will more than likely separate once wet or it will not dry with an even finish.

Also canvas on gator needs to be burnished to get all the air out and if you try that on foam core I believe you will crease it.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 02:36:19 pm »

Does Lowes carry gator? Would Masonite work?
Mike

Masonite will work it a bit harder to cut and has more mass/weight.

Gator can be purchased at any art supplier.  Like Dick Blick. It's generally sold in 4x8 sheets

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Roscolo

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 03:05:56 pm »

Miracle muck on foamcore?  It's a wet mount and foam are will not work well. It will curl as it dries thus warping and the clay layer will more than likely separate once wet or it will not dry with an even finish.

Also canvas on gator needs to be burnished to get all the air out and if you try that on foam core I believe you will crease it.

Paul

I mount canvas to foam core with excellent results. It works fine. Generously coat the back of the canvas with muck using a paint brush. Lay the canvas on the foam board. Roll over it with a rolling pin, or I just use the core from a roll of paper/canvas. Roll from one edge to the other edge putting pressure on the roller. Put something heavy on top while it dries. It's done.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 03:35:58 pm »

What sizes of print?  I can see maybe 16 x 20 or smaller but not a larger image.  But obviously it works for you.  I tried it before moving to gator (had both warping and non adhesion issues when attempting to mount to standard 3/16" clay coated foamcore) and gator is to me a much better solution with Muck.  24 x 36, 30 x 45 and 36 x 72 are my average sized print on gator but I have gone larger for one account.   

The bigger issue to me is the fact that with foam core, it's just too simple to dimple the print.  I want to frame with no glazing so the image has to stand up.  While moving or mounting the foam core surface is too delicate for me.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 08:12:13 pm »

I've done hundreds of coated canvas prints on 3/16th heat-activated foam board. Most were 20x30 and larger, up to 40x60. The largest took multiple passes using a a dry mount press.

It took a little time to find the boards, but here are at least two differs coatings, one just a bit better than the other when it comes to canvas.

Besides ease of use in dry mounting using these boards, the canvas just looks smoother after heat mounting.

All this project ended up framed and there have been no issues now four years later.

My original plan was to farm this part of my project out then it was to use tissue for this but knew the pitfalls and mess of tissue. The heat-activated boards are just so quick and easy to use compared to wet mounting or stretching on wooden bars.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up