Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Superficial scratch lines on almost all prints on my Epson 4900  (Read 1535 times)

uintaangler

I have started noticing superficial scratch lines on almost all, if not all, of my Epson 4900 prints.
I have a roll of Ilford Gold Fibre Silk on the machine, and the prints all look great, EXCEPT, upon close inspection you can see the lines, especially in a cloudless sky.
Any idea what's going on?
Can a mechanical clutz ( me ) do anything to fix this problem?
Thanks.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Superficial scratch lines on almost all prints on my Epson 4900
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 11:01:37 am »

Try increasing the platen gap and the media thickness settings to be found in the printer's LCD menu and see whether that eliminates the problem.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

ChipCain

Re: Superficial scratch lines on almost all prints on my Epson 4900
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 11:21:03 am »

If increasing the platen gap doesn't work you may have a bad roll of paper. I had a similar issue with a roll of Epson exhibition fiber that no mater what I did (always blaming it on the printer) I couldn't fix the problem of what looked like scratches. I finally decided to look at the unprinted paper and upon close examination I could see those slight "scratches". It looked to me as if what looked like scratches were actually fine lines where the paper did not receive treatment to receive the ink. I returned the roll and was sent a replacemnt that worked perfectly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up