Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hacking LR Lens Profile for Tiff?  (Read 3435 times)

JNHenry

Hacking LR Lens Profile for Tiff?
« on: May 12, 2015, 09:47:59 pm »

Hi all,

Need some help "hacking" the lens profiles in LR to make them work on TIFFs. 

I'm starting to use Capture 1 to do initial processing of RAWs, and then import them (as TIFFs) back into LR for cataloging and other editing.  However, most Adobe lens profiles only work on RAWs.  I know the profiles are only "supposed" to work on RAW files, but since I'm not cropping or rotating in C1 I want to be able to apply the lens profiles to the TIFFs in LR to take care of distortion, etc.  I'm specifically trying to get the Sony FE 16-35mm f/4 lens profile to work this way.

I found several online posts about duplicating and editing the lens profiles.  All mention opening the lens profile in a text editor and changing stCamera:CameraRawProfile="True" to stCamera:CameraRawProfile="False" 

I did that, and when I saved it into the Adobe Camera Raw lens profile folder, I could then select my "non-Raw" lens profile inside of Lightroom.  (Interestingly, when I saved the updated lens profile in the LR lens profile folder, LR wouldn't see it.)  However, applying the profile to a TIFF doesn't cause any changes--distortion is still the same as RAWs that have not had the lens profile applied.  I've tried in LR5 and the new LR CC.

Does anybody have any ideas how I can get the lens profile to work on TIFFs? 

Yeah, I'm trying to hack the system.  But, Capture 1 isn't applying a lens-specific profile for the FE16-35, and since I'm not cropping/rotating in C1, applying the profile in LR to a TIFF should have no negative consequences. 

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Re: Hacking LR Lens Profile for Tiff?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 11:05:00 pm »

I just had a play around with lens profiles in LR after making a raw file into a PSD. Now although I can apply lens profiles to the non-raw file, it doesn't pick up correct camera/lens combination, probably as there is a smaller selection available. Not noticed this before as I would also do lens correction first on raw files. No obvious reason for this to happen, I wonder if it also applies to jPEGs from camera too. Dn't shoot them myself so cannot test.

Using C1 to tweak images and then use LR to edit the saved tiff images seems a less than optimum workflow. I guess you prefer the look of C1 images then.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

JNHenry

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 11:23:17 pm »

jjj

Thanks for your reply.

I agree the workflow is less than ideal, but I do like the way C1 is processing the RAW files, especially with regards to color. 

If you have a non-RAW image in LR, I've found you can select a lens profile and apply it, but the choices are very limited.  WHen I hacked the lens profile for the FE 16-35mm, and put the hacked profile into the ACR Lens Profile folder, it was available in LR and can be selected manually (but auto detect doesn't work).  That said, the lens profile doesn't seem to work and doesn't correct for lens distortion. 

I'm just hoping there is a way to make this work for TIFFs.  I've read online that people have made the hack work for JPEGs, but I don't shoot those...and don't see any advantage to export from C1 as a JPEG.

Thanks,

Jeff

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 11:29:46 pm »

Doing a manual correction for your lenses that match the profile done on raw files and make that into a preset would be one option.
Bear in mind, you can make your own lens profiles too. More info/links on profiles here.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

AlterEgo

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 12:04:28 am »

But, Capture 1 isn't applying a lens-specific profile for the FE16-35
so you don't have an option for "Manufacturer Profile" available in drop down list for "Profile" in "LENS CORRECTION" tool ?

JNHenry

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 12:24:28 am »

Yes, I do have "Manufacturer Profile" available in Capture 1 (8.2).  But, it doesn't appear to do anything. 

If I apply the Manufacturer Profile, export as TIFF, and then import in to LR, I can compare the TIFF (with manufacturer profile) to the RAW with Adobe's lens profile applied.  They look totally different.  Distortion in the TIFF is exactly how the RAW looks without applying the lens profile in LR.  This leads me to believe that C1 is not using the Manufacturer Profile--and why I'm trying to hack a way to apply the profile in LR.

But, you raise a great point.  If there was a way to get the lens profile to be applied in C1, I'd be fine with applying it there.  But, that doesn't seem to be possible with my AWR raw files.

Also, in C1, there is no profile for the FE 16-35mm lens.  The only FE lens is the kit 28-70mm.  So, it's really "Manufacturer Profile," "Generic Profile" or nothing.

Thanks,

Jeff

AlterEgo

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 12:50:36 am »

Yes, I do have "Manufacturer Profile" available in Capture 1 (8.2).  But, it doesn't appear to do anything.  
it is doing absolutely nothing with "Distortion" slider set to 100% ? when you change the slide to zero and then to max and then back to zero you can't see any geometric corrections ? and neither does "Light Falloff" ? how strange...

AlterEgo

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 12:51:56 am »

So, it's really "Manufacturer Profile,"
which is what Sony writes in raw files - it works for my FE55/1.8 (to the extent that Sony thinks it shall)

JNHenry

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 02:47:43 am »

AlterEgo,

Thanks so much...though now I feel pretty stupid.

I just thought that C1 was applying all the lens correction automatically, and the Distortion slider was if the user wanted to do even more.  But, you're message was dead on: I have to apply the distortion correction myself.

As soon as I moved the slider to 100%, the resulting image was corrected exactly the same (to my eyes, anyways) as the lens profile applied by LR to the RAWs.

Guess this means the best way forward is to do initial RAW processing and lens correction in C1, then export to LR for more work and cataloging.

Thanks for setting me straight!

Cheers,

Jeff

AlterEgo

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 10:19:56 am »

Thanks for setting me straight!

P1 could do better explaining things, that's it

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 12:51:01 pm »

P1 could do better explaining things, that's it

A similar confusion exists with regards to the 'hide distorted areas' checkbox (without even a tool-tip) and people wondering why the pixel size of the resulting image is smaller than with other applications ...

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up