Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Joins High-Quality 50mm Lens Race  (Read 2217 times)

NancyP

Re: Canon Joins High-Quality 50mm Lens Race
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 05:45:28 pm »

Canon might be competing for best BARGAIN original-design lens. That's a tough field within Canon itself, as the Shorty Forty (40mm f/2.8 STM at 150 bucks street price) and its cousin the 24mm f/2.8 STM (you try rhyming "twenty four"!) are only 50 bucks more than the old Nifty Fifty (50mm f/1.8 II, at ~100 bucks street price) which this is meant to replace.

No lenses are going to be cheaper than the YongNuo-type knock-offs.

BJL

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 09:52:53 pm »

Canon might be competing for best BARGAIN original-design lens. That's a tough field within Canon itself, as the Shorty Forty (40mm f/2.8 STM at 150 bucks street price) and its cousin the 24mm f/2.8 STM (you try rhyming "twenty four"!)
"Sees plenty more"?

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 03:46:50 am »

It seems like a nice upgrade, going back to a metal lens mount, and adding a step motor for more fluid AF during video.

For more expensive, there is the 1.2 lens.

Now the 50 1.4 lens really needs an upgrade...

NancyP

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 10:04:42 am »

BJL, very good.

I will likely buy this lens if it is as good as the Shorty Forty. I have found that it is very convenient to have a lightweight "just in case" lens with you if you are carrying multiple primes or are working mostly with a heavy telephoto lens. My current full frame lenses in the 50mm range are old AIS Nikkors, the micro 55 f/3/5 and the 50 f/1.2. Both are surprisingly good for old designs, and weigh about 2 to 3 times the Canon Nifty Fifty / Plastic Fantastic.

Good business move for Canon - inexpensive gateway drug to prime lens-dom.
Pages: [1]   Go Up