Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upsampling in the LR workflow  (Read 1328 times)

PSA DC-9-30

Upsampling in the LR workflow
« on: May 11, 2015, 01:52:56 am »

I need to upsample an 8 bit grayscale TIFF file from 2560 to 12300 px in its largest dimension. I know there is an option to do this in the Print module as well as in the Export dialogue box. However, it seems to me that sharpening and noise reduction should be done and evaluated on the image at full size--i.e., that it would be better to upsample first thing and then do all retouching, tonal adjustments, sharpening and noise reduction on the upsampled image.

Alternatively, would it be better to do all editing first, and then perform upsampling and output sharpening at the export stage? (I will not be printing, but sending a file off to print.)

In principle would it make any difference if the image were a RAW file instead of a bimap (TIFF)?  

Thanks,
Kevin

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 01:56:07 am by PSA DC-9-30 »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Upsampling in the LR workflow
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 10:06:39 am »

You up-sample using Export dialog/command. And yes, LR does a very good job of doing this.
And yes, there is a difference using a raw, if you have that data, use it!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

PSA DC-9-30

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 05:15:17 pm »

Thank you. I always shoot raw files with my own cameras, but unfortunately raw capture is not available with the microscope cameras I have used.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 02:15:22 pm »

Thank you. I always shoot raw files with my own cameras, but unfortunately raw capture is not available with the microscope cameras I have used.

Hi,

Then which file format and type do the cameras deliver? BMP/JPEG/PNG/TIFF (8-bit or 16-bit/channel, one channel or three), BioRad, FITS, ...?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

PSA DC-9-30

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 02:37:46 pm »

From what I have seen, all the Hitachi, FEI, JEOL electron microscopes save files as grayscale TIFF or JPEG. Some offer 16 bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up