Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions are like assholes everyones got one  (Read 14349 times)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Re: Opinions are like assholes everyones got one
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 12:50:59 pm »

I tend to avoid passing comments on people's work for this very reason. Taste is the reason why you like/do not like something [if technique is mastered] and yet people seem to think their taste is not only better than other people's, but is not simply nothing more than one person's opinion.
Some constructive feedback can be useful, particularly on technical issues. But too many people when they are asking for people's opinion on something, what they are really saying is "Say something nice to stroke my ego" and then get shirty if you do give your honest opinion.  ::)
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 01:16:25 pm »

From your lack of response I posted on your "Meet On The Street, Shoot At Home" thread I take it I was one of those who isn't deserving of receiving an answer from a photographer of your experience and stature.

Yes, the internet has changed the world. It has made everyone aware that we all like to form our own little cadre of like minded individuals who think they're smarter and more sophisticated than the other group of folks.

The internet is a vehicle for the free exchange of information which also includes opinions, but as a photographer and former ad man graphic artist, prepress production technician I'm surprised you haven't realized the power of "good press", "bad press". It doesn't matter, Daniel. You're getting more attention than most of the photographers online.

Or maybe you're just starting this thread so you can propagate this social dynamic as a way to get more attention. That I would understand. But I can't tell if you're really this naive or that famous because I've never heard of you until I posted in that other thread. But there were dozens of photographer's work I glanced through in Communications Arts mags as an art director for small agencies and printers back in the '80's and as today there are even more online so I applaud you that you can still make sure you remain relevant in this day and age.

I hope you can counter those insolent, dimwitted opinions about your work with a more sophisticated response than just posting threads meerly complaining about opinions from the unwashed masses who see your work. You didn't know that would happen? COME ON!

mezzoduomo

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 01:29:15 pm »

All those museums, and all your accomplishments, and you're still looking for a pat on the head from the internet? Sad, actually.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 01:53:06 pm »

Not sure what's going on here, are Iluvmycam and Danial Teoli the same fellow? I wouldn't have said so yet the posts seem to assume that he is!

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 02:12:57 pm »

It's the internet. You could be talking to a dog or Daniel's agent.

But it doesn't matter. We're here and now and attempting to engage in a meaningful conversation or prattle off a bunch of one liners that either praise or admonish the OP and the topic.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 02:25:37 pm »

Oh, this reminds me of a robocall I got  recently where I actually thought the person was real, but the phrasing and timing of the speech patterns peaked my suspicion where I had to ask flat out..."Is this a real person I'm talking to?"

The caller responded..."Oh, am I that bad. I'll try to be more real for you?"

My response..."What day is it?"

The caller replies..."Oh, we're not trained to answer those kind of questions".

CLICK! I hung up!

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 03:20:04 pm »

Oh, this reminds me of a robocall I got  recently where I actually thought the person was real, but the phrasing and timing of the speech patterns peaked my suspicion where I had to ask flat out..."Is this a real person I'm talking to?"

The caller responded..."Oh, am I that bad. I'll try to be more real for you?"

My response..."What day is it?"

The caller replies..."Oh, we're not trained to answer those kind of questions".

CLICK! I hung up!

I really must eat more fish as that has got me even more confused!

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 05:53:32 pm »

I really must eat more fish as that has got me even more confused!

How so? I'll be glad to clear up any confusion.

I suggest Beach Cliff sardines in water processed in Canada. They're the freshest and cheapest. I add Sriracha sauce, pepper & lemon to cut the fishy taste.

Now figure a segue back to the OT on that one. I dare you. It can't be done.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 06:41:07 pm »

How so? I'll be glad to clear up any confusion.

I suggest Beach Cliff sardines in water processed in Canada. They're the freshest and cheapest. I add Sriracha sauce, pepper & lemon to cut the fishy taste.

Now figure a segue back to the OT on that one. I dare you. It can't be done.

Jeeves and Wooster, the latter attributed Jeeve's outstanding brain power to a diet of fish.

But anyway, are Iuvmycam and Danial what's his name the same fellow or not?

Isaac

De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 09:11:29 pm »

De gustibus non est disputandum -- Personal preferences are not debatable.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 10:04:40 pm by Isaac »

spidermike

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 05:55:24 am »

Of course the irony of the whole article is that his work is in '98 museums...etc etc...' for no other reason than the curators 'like' his work. They 'like' his B&W style, or 'like' his HDR style because if they didn't they wouldn't buy it, and if they did not buy his work I am sure he would change his style until it did sell. The only difference between a curator's opinion and the public's opinion is that the curator has a kudos that massages the author's ego and the unknowing masses can go hang. 
Mind you, I recall the critics raving over Damien Hirst and Tracey Emmin while millions of museum goers and gallery goers decried it as garbage: but as they weren't 'in the know' and part of the congniscenti I guess that made them wrong as well.

I have absolutely no issue with the conclusion "Never give up! Don’t listen to the haters. " nor his decision to turn off comments but to intimate that the writers of the comments are ignorant and unworthy of their opinion is the sort of high-handed ness that gives 'artists' a bad reputation everywhere.

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 05:59:24 am »

Jeeves and Wooster, the latter attributed Jeeve's outstanding brain power to a diet of fish.

But anyway, are Iuvmycam and Danial what's his name the same fellow or not?
If you check his posts, you will see almost constant links to Daniel whatshisname, so it is almost a certainly that both a**holes are the same (interesting concept that: is it one for two, or two for one?).

SanderKikkert

• flickr
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 09:13:49 am »

Parallel to the question "do Androids dream of electric sheep ? "

I'd like to know: "Do A**holes look better in grungy hdr ?"  ;D

What an......

Kind Regards, Sander

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 10:10:40 am »

Egos are not like assholes, some people have a very big one, and more than one...

P.S. Try to make it to 100 museums and private collections, you are really close...

amolitor

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 10:41:32 am »

Don't be fooled. Daniel has figured out that special collections libraries will catalog practically anything sent to them. He has basically nothing in curated collections.

What I suspect he has not figured out is that libraries also cull their collections. His scrapbooks will live on for a few years or decades but into the bin they go if nobody ever requests them.

Colorado David

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 11:15:28 am »

Don't be fooled. Daniel has figured out that special collections libraries will catalog practically anything sent to them.

I was planning to stay out of this thread, but I have to point out a couple of things.  He has posted in the past that his family hates his photography and plans to throw it all away upon his death.  He is working hard to create some kind of legacy for his photography by giving it away to galleries and collections as fast as he can.  He has also said in several topics here that pretty landscape pictures are a dime a dozen.  In my interpretation, that is not a purely economic observation.  It is an attempt to assign less artistic value to landscape photography than he assigns to his own style of art.  I find that to be disingenuous at best and downright sinister at worst.  There is no room to complain if you don't like viewer's comments if you seek to ridicule other's work.

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 05:07:44 am »

P.S. Try to make it to 100 museums and private collections, you are really close...
As others have said, I have never heard of this guy and I have been in and around photography for over 60 years now.  So I am going to throw out a challenge to his Bona Fides: to the OP, provide the names and locations of at least 10 curated museums and collections which hold your works.  I eagerly await your response.

spidermike

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 06:29:26 am »

As others have said, I have never heard of this guy

I'm really surprised..after all anyone who creates a book of 26 road kills and values it at 1600$ (or $2,000 for the 'museum' edition) must be well known to pull in that sort of moolah.

https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/daniel-teoli-jr

Jimbo57

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2015, 06:34:03 am »

I think that the OP used an internet based translation service to convert his treatise from his own native language to English.

Unfortunately it mis-translated and the thread title should have read "I am a self-opinionated asshole ".
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up