Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: platine fibre rag, gold fibre silk, epson glossy  (Read 997 times)

sgwrx

platine fibre rag, gold fibre silk, epson glossy
« on: May 09, 2015, 09:39:10 pm »

i do like the colors, the warmth, of the silver rag.  the greens and greys very nice.  however, since i'm newly getting back into the swing of things, i'm also trying to broaden myself.  i've ordered samples from ilford, canson and red river.  it's an eye opener for sure!

i can't believe the difference in this test print.  the platine is not as bad as it looks, this was just a quick snap shot to show the BIG differences. the green/cyan border of the platine is similar to the GFS in that it has a definite green line along the border.

but compare these to the epson premium glossy wow.  so is this mostly due to a bad "generic" profile from the mfg's or, is it mostly due to glossy paper being superior?

personally, i do very much like the GFS. i have not ordered any new silver rag, new in that they are a new company since i last used/ordered it.  the canson seems very bright!  i do not like OBA's.

thanks,
steve

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Re: platine fibre rag, gold fibre silk, epson glossy
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 08:46:49 am »

It's only profile's color rendering difference.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

hugowolf

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 02:58:18 pm »

... so is this mostly due to a bad "generic" profile from the mfg's...

Perhaps not bad, but possibly not so good. What rendering intent were you using?

personally, i do very much like the GFS. i have not ordered any new silver rag, new in that they are a new company since i last used/ordered it.  the canson seems very bright!  i do not like OBA's.

Canson's Platine has no OBAs. The top coating, although totally proprietary,  by most accounts makes use of white carbon black. "Pure white without optical brightening agents".

Both GFS, and the almost identical Canson Baryta Photographique, do have some OBA content, more so with the new GFS.

Brian A

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 03:04:31 pm by hugowolf »

sgwrx

Re:
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 04:57:59 pm »

i typically use perceptual, from Photoshop, which i hear isn't much different than rel colormetric.  one of these, i think the canson calls for rel color.

right platine does not contain oba, i wrote that thought poorly :)

so via some searches it sounded like gfs was almost gone but it seems like its new again?  ill have to search on that some.

i do like it but i'd just rather not have oba.  actually i like all three! 

hugowolf

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 07:05:08 pm »

If you want to compare papers, then relative colorimetric is the way to go. The perceptual tables in different profiles could have been built with entirely different results intended, it just isn't a fair comparison.

Perceptual shifts in-gamut colors whether there are out-of-gamut colors or not.

Brian A

sgwrx

Re:
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 07:43:50 pm »

ah, that makes perfect sense.  i will reprint with rel color and look again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up