Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zeiss 21MM & Canon 5D  (Read 22948 times)

glenerrolrd

Zeiss 21MM & Canon 5D
« on: February 06, 2006, 08:31:00 pm »

seeking recommendations on adapters to use my zeiss 21mm C/Y mount on the Canon 5D.  I have read most of the posts on lens fit etc but need advice on the best quality adapter . Also any insights on getting one quickly as I would like to test the combination soon. cost isn t a factor with this combination...want the best available

Richowens

Zeiss 21MM & Canon 5D
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 10:52:52 pm »

www.cameraquest.com/frames/4saleReos.htm

Try here, I understand there are none better.

Rich

David R. Gurtcheff

Zeiss 21MM & Canon 5D
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 11:38:02 am »

www.cameraquest.com/frames/4saleReos.htm

Try here, I understand there are none better.

Rich
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57594\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I agree with Rich. I have M42/EOS, Leica/EOS and Contax/EOS. First rate quality, but expensive.
Dave

glenerrolrd

Zeiss 21MM & Canon 5D
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 08:02:34 pm »

Thank you for the information.  I have ordered one for my 21mm distagon and another to try on my Leica R lenses.  Looking forward to the combinations.

Gary Ferguson

• http://
Zeiss 21MM & Canon 5D
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 12:34:23 pm »

Any chance of posting some pixel peeping comparisons versus Canon glass?

I find the 14mm L, 20mm, 24mm T&S, and 24-105mm IS L okay for A3 prints from a D5 or 1Ds Mk II, but no better than okay. I'd be in no hurry to trade up to a new 22mp Canon uber kamera without better wide-angle optical options. So real world experiences of other lenses via an adapter would be very interesting.

Incidentally, I once tried Hasselblad lenses on a Contax 645 using a Contax manufactured adapter. The results were a bit disapointing, even with great Zeiss/Hassie lenses like the 100mm and 180mm. Shots often looked soft in one corner but not in the opposite corner, which might suggest the adapter had thrown the lens off axis. Maybe it was a one-off dud, but it left me a little cautious that lens benefits might be thrown away with an adapter.

Anyhow, I hope your adapter works ou,t and your practical experiences would be much appreciated.

Gary Ferguson

• http://
Zeiss 21MM & Canon 5D
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 10:03:09 am »

Incidentally, the Camera Quest adapter site reports some issues with using non-Canon lenses on the D5. They say the mirror hits the rear of some non-Canon lenses even though the same lens/adapter combination works fine on other Canon bodies.

benInMA

Zeiss 21MM & Canon 5D
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 11:12:12 am »

That should be a problem on the 1Ds & 1Ds Mk II as well... they also have full size mirrors.

Unless the 5D is doing something new with the mirror to keep it quiet.  It is a quiet camera.

glenerrolrd

Zeiss 21MM & Canon 5D
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 06:35:06 pm »

I received the cameraquest adapter .  It works perfectly with the 5D although I found that a 1/3 stop underexposure provided better exposures.  This of course could just be averaging in more sky than I am used to.  Its a great combination.

dabreeze

Zeiss 21MM & Canon 5D
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 02:49:52 pm »

for those of you seeking alternative solutions to canon's soft wide angle offerings, you should find the discussion threads here
 FM Forums/Alternative Digital Systems & Lenses invaluable. for specific problems with the 5D mirror (and, yes, it is different from the full-frame 1Ds models) this specific thread is a MUST read: 5D Combatability.

Adem

Zeiss 21MM & Canon 5D
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 01:13:58 pm »

seeking recommendations on adapters to use my zeiss 21mm C/Y mount on the Canon 5D.  I have read most of the posts on lens fit etc but need advice on the best quality adapter . Also any insights on getting one quickly as I would like to test the combination soon. cost isn t a factor with this combination...want the best available
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57589\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have both the 5D and Haselblad/Phaseone P20 with 80mm and 120mm makro planar. I often wonder to use Hassy lenses on Canon but don't kno how... anyone throwing light on the subject...could be quite illuminating;-)

tonypassera

• http://www.blueirisphotography.com
Zeiss 21MM & Canon 5D
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 12:06:08 am »

I have both the 5D and Haselblad/Phaseone P20 with 80mm and 120mm makro planar. I often wonder to use Hassy lenses on Canon but don't kno how... anyone throwing light on the subject...could be quite illuminating;-)
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Zork makes a variety of adapters, including some for mounting medium format
lenses onto 35mm bodies.  Many of these are shift adapters, allowing some
perspective correction.  Check out [a href=\"http://www.zoerk.com/]http://www.zoerk.com/[/url].  I don't see adapters
for H-system lenses in their catalog, but the catalog might not be completely
up to date.  Might be worth a call.

Tony

spotmeter

• http://www.photographica.us
Zeiss 21MM & Canon 5D
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 11:26:57 pm »

Quote from: Gary Ferguson,Feb 8 2006, 05:34 PM
Any chance of posting some pixel peeping comparisons versus Canon glass?

I find the 14mm L, 20mm, 24mm T&S, and 24-105mm IS L okay for A3 prints from a D5 or 1Ds Mk II, but no better than okay. I'd be in no hurry to trade up to a new 22mp Canon uber kamera without better wide-angle optical options. So real world experiences of other lenses via an adapter would be very interesting.

The best wide angle and normal lenses I have found for my 5D are all Zeiss designs: 21, 28 and 35 Contax manual focus with Cameraquest adapters, and the new Zeiss 50mm ZF 1.4. with a Fotodiox adapter.

I have never found a good 24mm lens (tried and tested Nikon, Zuiko and Contax), but based on the outstanding quality, optical and mechanical,  of the 50mm ZF, I will be buying the new 25 and 35 Zeiss ZF's when they become available.  

Above 50mm, the Canon L primes are so sharp I have not bothered to test other lenses.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Zeiss 21MM & Canon 5D
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 08:59:40 am »

That should be a problem on the 1Ds & 1Ds Mk II as well... they also have full size mirrors.

Unless the 5D is doing something new with the mirror to keep it quiet.  It is a quiet camera.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57893\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

the 5d's mirror/geometry is slightly different.  Some Zeizz/Leica's that work with the 1d's scrape on the 5d.

MarkWelsh

Zeiss 21MM & Canon 5D
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 12:34:51 pm »

The best wide angle and normal lenses I have found for my 5D are all Zeiss designs: 21, 28 and 35 Contax manual focus with Cameraquest adapters, and the new Zeiss 50mm ZF 1.4. with a Fotodiox adapter.

I have never found a good 24mm lens (tried and tested Nikon, Zuiko and Contax), but based on the outstanding quality, optical and mechanical,  of the 50mm ZF, I will be buying the new 25 and 35 Zeiss ZF's when they become available. 

Above 50mm, the Canon L primes are so sharp I have not bothered to test other lenses.
You might be interested in the 24mm World Cup here . . . which has tested just about every 24-25mm lens mountable on a full frame Canon. There are also preliminary test results with the all-new ZF25mm. It is difficult, but by no means impossible to find a 24mm that lives in the same ballpark as the Zeiss wides.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 12:35:25 pm by MarkWelsh »

Pham Minh Son

Zeiss 21MM & Canon 5D
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 08:05:16 pm »

The Zeiss lens and in fact all of the 135 mm format super-wide and wide angle lens require the rear element to sit extremely close to the mirror due to the physical property of engineering the wide angle lens. In conjunction with the lack of understanding of the lens optical performance and mechanical property, adapters were often built thicker for two reasons: 1. avoid the problem of the rear element hit the mirror and 2. based their reversed engineer on pure calculation of flange distances differences. In the end, often the wide angle cannot get to infinity. Read the works that have been done on these issues: www.AdapterSolutions.com

erick b

Zeiss 21MM & Canon 5D
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 02:02:38 am »

it will  loose Auto Focus in any case ?

I am also very interrested in buying a   Zeiss 21mm f2.8 Distagon T* (for Canon EOS 5D)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 11:07:24 am by erick b »

Pham Minh Son

Zeiss 21MM & Canon 5D
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 03:51:37 am »

and will you loose Auto Focus in any case ?

I am also very interrested in buying a   Zeiss 21mm f2.8 Distagon T* (for Canon EOS 5D)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88531\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Where does the auto focus motor lies and what type of lens has no motor drive in it?

Canon auto focus motor drive resides in the Canon auto focus lens + Manual focus Contax Carl Zeiss Distagon 21 has no motor drive = Adapting Z21 to Canon DSLR has no autofocus

erick b

Zeiss 21MM & Canon 5D
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006, 03:58:17 am »

thank you
Pages: [1]   Go Up