Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: canon 8300 - what are "special" profiles in settings?  (Read 614 times)

msongs

• Hawaii Loves Art
canon 8300 - what are "special" profiles in settings?
« on: May 09, 2015, 05:27:05 pm »

under media type is a drop down for special media types 1 thru 10. anybody know what exactly those mean? I print on canvas and cotton twill fabric mostly.

For fabric I usually use canvas profile and media setting figuring perhaps that gives the most ink and saturation. could be wrong about that tho.

Msongs
hawaiilovesart.com
batik, digital design, panorama photography

Landscapes

Re: canon 8300 - what are "special" profiles in settings?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 06:04:49 pm »

These are simply generic settings.  1-5 uses photo black for glossy papers, 6-10 uses matte black for matte type papers.  The higher the number, the greater the ink load.  So while all the other papers settings might have specifics for that paper in terms of ink load, max margins, paper suction strength, head height, etc, these generic paper types are just generic. 

I actually find they are better for me.  I print on matte canvas, so I use special 6.  This gives me a lower ink load than some of the other types I can select that might work on canvas, but more importantly, it allows for 3mm margins.  If I used a canvas setting, those I don't think gave me 3mm margin options.  So when I had my custom profile made for my canvas (after applying the varnish), I made sure to use special 6 as my driver setting and now its good for roll of sheets of canvas.  The auto head height works great, as does auto suction.  (I notice that everything is on auto, but when I print on canvas, it selects A(4) for height with canvas, and A(1) when using a 260lb luster paper... so its clearly reading the height of the media and adjusting accordingly)

All of this is for a canon 6400, but I'm sure the 8300 is the same in regards to these media settings in the driver.
Pages: [1]   Go Up