Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 6 video update with me and Kevin  (Read 12531 times)

dreed

Re: Lightroom 6 video update with me and Kevin
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2015, 10:21:14 am »

Also note that changes made after an Auto Mask are somewhat limited in strength...if you go too far, you'll see halos and edges. Nothing you can do about this except jump over to Photoshop and use better/more accurate methods of selections.

This. I've run into it but... Lr is easy to use compared to PS and every time I go into PS to try something, I easily get dismayed. When I try the "Select by colour", no matter what I do, I get PS selecting that colour (or those close to it) all over the image. Maybe I just need to sit through a PS tutorial or two so that I get it but which one? I don't get why those halos/edges appear in the first place :(

I suppose maybe what I'm asking after is a cross-over tutorial that explains what to do when you start banging your head into Lr limitations.

dmward

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2015, 11:12:48 am »

Optimal input sharpening for Fuji X-Trans and Sony A7 cameras?

I know Kevin uses them so he should have a vested interested. :-)

rdonson

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2015, 01:04:54 pm »

Can't speak to the Sony A7 but for Fuji these recommendations have been working for me.  I think he built these based on some of Jeff's comments on deconvolution.

http://petebridgwood.com/wp/2014/10/x-trans-sharpening/
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2015, 01:07:09 pm »

Jeff, I'm interested in understanding if the Lr determination of white and black points with Shift-double click is useful and accurate vs. an Adobe parlor trick.
Regards,
Ron

lelouarn

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2015, 02:59:58 pm »

I usually create a new catalog on the laptop, and then import it onto the desktop, merging it into my main catalog.

Rand47

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2015, 05:04:07 pm »

Optimal input sharpening for Fuji X-Trans and Sony A7 cameras?

I know Kevin uses them so he should have a vested interested. :-)

+1, please. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

LeonD

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2015, 10:14:18 pm »

dreed

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2015, 10:46:59 am »

I suppose maybe what I'm asking after is a cross-over tutorial that explains what to do when you start banging your head into Lr limitations.

Or rather, "Photoshop for Lightroom users" (rather than "Photoshop for dummies") because an "exposure adjustment" in PS behaves completely different to Lr and I can't for the life of me work out why.

jaapb

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2015, 12:34:50 pm »

what else can we do for you?
Hi Jeff,

I always found your best practice, setting up/converting the database coming from a prior version of Lightroom, very helpful.
even if it's sometimes over the top
Really Jeff, is that you or is that Michael in the background :D. Anyway I hope your are doing well man.

Kind regards and looking forward to the video.

Jaap

jrsforums

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2015, 01:08:31 pm »

Or rather, "Photoshop for Lightroom users" (rather than "Photoshop for dummies") because an "exposure adjustment" in PS behaves completely different to Lr and I can't for the life of me work out why.

The best way to understand the differing effects of the tonal changes in the basic panel (including exposure) is to use a step grey chart.

If you want a tutorial, George Jardine did a wonderful job here....
http://mulita.com/blog/?page_id=5852
John

dmward

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2015, 06:28:09 pm »

Can't speak to the Sony A7 but for Fuji these recommendations have been working for me.  I think he built these based on some of Jeff's comments on deconvolution.

http://petebridgwood.com/wp/2014/10/x-trans-sharpening/

Ron,
I've been using Peter's presets since I first saw the blog post last fall.
I also use them as a starting point for the Sony A7R and A7II files.
I even added a TACK TACK preset with the amount at 65.

The reason for requesting that Jeff and Kevin address it is so we better understand the sharpening engine and how it work with these cameras and perhaps other mirrorless cameras or those without an anti-aliasing filter.

aebolzan

• agustinbolzan
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2015, 07:00:28 pm »

After  my recent experience with printing to jpeg for custom labs (poor-man's solution for printing with LR), and if we are still in time to ask something, please, add some comments or ideas about it, which is the best way to print to jpeg, the use or not of paper profiles, perceptual or relative intents, etc.....I  know that this was more or less discussed in the previous videos, but always with respect to printing with a printer, not to a file....thanks!

Agustin

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2015, 11:09:03 pm »

Just to let you know, Kev and I have been hard at work shooting the LR CC/6 update video. Wed we will actually do a video using this thread as a basis of showing some of the things you guys have asked for. So, fair warning, if you want to see something, tell us before say 11AM central daylight savings time so we can include your request!!! We serve at your pleasure...

jrp

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2015, 04:01:42 am »

On the basic adjustments, why does the Auto setting (which I often use as a starting point) so often increase exposure by 2/3-1?

What are the differences between the Adobe Standard camera preset and embedded, or camera-specifc ones?

Is there a way of adjusting tones without at the same time affecting saturation?

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2015, 12:44:42 pm »

Hi everyone, thank you for contributions.  Jeff and I just finished going through this topic and discussing the posts on camera for the new tutorial update.  at this point we'll consider this topic closed.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up