Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 6 video update with me and Kevin  (Read 12530 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Lightroom 6 video update with me and Kevin
« on: May 07, 2015, 07:05:20 pm »

Guys,

Just a quick ping to let you know Kevin and I will be shooting the LR 6 update video next week here in my studio in Chicago. So, I wanted to post a question to the group, what would you like to see above and beyond the obvious new features of LR 6?

Kev and I plan on talking about before/after image adjustments and why we did what we did.

I'm gonna try to talk Kev into doing a whole section on Rabereyes (what he does and why–even if it's sometimes over the top–sorry Kev :~)

But, what else can we do for you?

Onslow

Re: Lightroom 6 video update with me and Kevin
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 09:05:33 pm »

Excellent news Jeff. I look forward to buying it. I have the LR vids from 4 onwards you and Michael have done. I know you have done soft proofing in there but I for one would appreciate a revisit of that if possible using LR6 to see if there are any new tricks or things that I haven't picked up on.
Also, I understand that some of the processes have been moved to the background such as dng conversion on import. I would appreciate knowing about what sort of changes have occurred in this regard as well.
Thanks. :)
Cheers

Onslow

Schewe

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 11:24:58 pm »

I know you have done soft proofing in there but I for one would appreciate a revisit of that if possible using LR6 to see if there are any new tricks or things that I haven't picked up on.

Well, there is one small new feature of Soft Proofing in LR 6; one can now soft proof using aCMYK profile for optimizing for press. However, there still is no way of actually exporting the image and converting to CMYK. I suspect the main reason is that doing the soft proofing CMYK component was low hanging fruit dealing only with the profile and display profile. But to add in an entire CMYK export would require an entire CMYK engine–something that is much more difficult.

Kenneth Sky

• http://
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 09:02:31 am »

How about the pros & cons of standalone vs CC versions?

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 09:37:32 am »

But, what else can we do for you?

To some extent, this duplicates the explanation you provide in the "Maximizing Image Detail" section of The Digital Negative, but I think a video demonstration of some of the complex interactions among the various sharpening and noise reduction controls would be helpful.  In other words, I'd like to look over your shoulder and see your decision-making process in action.  I can't speak for others, but I often still find myself fiddling with the sliders without a clear feel for how each of them will contribute to the result I want.

In general, I think understanding a bit more about how LR works "under the hood" would be useful.  Apropos of that, any chance of including new interviews with Eric Chan and Thomas Knoll?

Schewe

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 09:48:54 am »

In general, I think understanding a bit more about how LR works "under the hood" would be useful.  Apropos of that, any chance of including new interviews with Eric Chan and Thomas Knoll?

Eric and Thomas are traveling next week so we are gonna try to do a Skype connect after we're done shooting, so we'll see.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 10:29:30 am »

Well, there is one small new feature of Soft Proofing in LR 6; one can now soft proof using aCMYK profile for optimizing for press. However, there still is no way of actually exporting the image and converting to CMYK.
You can save as a JPEG in Print like the old days, you can't export. Kind of dumb IMHO.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

JeanMichel

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 11:36:21 am »

I am looking forward to the video. Perhaps you could have a 'test' segment on the use of LR6 with an iMac Retina or some other 4k screen. May be if interest to people lake me who are CS6 and LR4 on older MacPro's and Cinema displays and who are considering an iMac as a replacement.
Thanks again for your work.
Jean-Michel

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 11:53:15 am »

Hello Jeff,

great to hear that the new project is going to start next week !

What I personally would like to see is I.e. not just how to create HDR or panos with Lr, but the whole workflow around it, what to do best before merging the shots, whT to do after merging in which rule.

Furthermore, the complete workflow with a few images from importing into Lr to print, surely including your special part sharpening would be really cool. ( regardless what you will do in this new video, I will buy 'The digital negative mark II'  :)

Best wishes

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Leszek Piotrowski

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 08:57:59 pm »

Hi Jeff

I've been out trying to capture the bright vivid greens of spring, especially in forest scenes,  so I was wondering if one area you and Kevin would consider covering would be the Hue, Saturation, Luminance adjustments to help make those colors come alive ,... I've found the previous Lightroom videos very, very helpful.
Leszek, G

LeonD

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 11:13:56 am »

Hi Jeff,

While probably too specific for this video, I'd love to hear your take on working with Lightroom and files from Fuji's X-Trans sensors.  It seems like some folks have no problem with LR and X-Trans files while others, are dropping LR and looking for alternatives.

Personally, LR works fine for me about 95% of the time.  Every now and then though, I'll have a picture that LR just can't handle.

Thanks.

Schewe

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 04:02:46 pm »

How about the pros & cons of standalone vs CC versions?

Yep, we'll be talking about that!

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 04:24:31 pm »

Looking forward to it Jeff.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 10:46:28 pm »

Check if there any issues with computer memory, processing speeds, etc. that have to be upgraded as well.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2015, 10:46:59 pm »

oh,  and Thanks.

dreed

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2015, 02:22:49 am »

Maybe this is a topic for another video but look at addressing some of the more frequently asked questions and more obscure features...

For example, did "auto mask" get covered in an earlier video? How does that work, etc.

How to minimise or eliminate the "fringing" that occurs when moving exposure, etc, on the boundary between an area being changed and not.

Aside from hardware related issues, does scanning through the last X pages on here suggest any FAQs or just generally questions on topics that haven't been covered in video that could?

Schewe

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 02:48:10 am »

For example, did "auto mask" get covered in an earlier video? How does that work, etc.

Pretty sure I covered that in the past. The Auto Mask is based on Mark Hamburg's implementation of Background Eraser in Photoshop. They key factor in using Auto Mask is to be hyper aware of where the center crosshair mark is touching because that dictates what will be masked. Also note that changes made after an Auto Mask are somewhat limited in strength...if you go too far, you'll see halos and edges. Nothing you can do about this except jump over to Photoshop and use better/more accurate methods of selections.

I'll try to make a point of this in the new vid tut. I think Wayne's recent post about the benefits of Auto Mask indicates many people don'y know how to use the tool. See this post http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=99076.0

Dan Glynhampton

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2015, 02:49:12 am »

Hi Jeff

Looking forward to the video.  At the risk of stiring up the CC/perpetual licence argument I'd like to hear your thoughts and ideas on LR mobile and workflows using it.

Dan

lelouarn

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2015, 08:05:14 am »

I'd like to get a good workflow on how you use Lightroom on a Laptop (while on a shoot) and a desktop (while back home).
How do you transfer your presets from one machine to the other ?
Do you have your master catalog (with smart previews) also on the laptop ? How do you transfer stuff back and forth ?
I have my way of doing things, but I'm not sure it's really optimal. And I always forget to transfer some new fancy preset to the laptop. Grrrr.

I really liked your previous LR videos, so I'm eager to see the next one...

dreed

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 10:15:18 am »

I'd like to get a good workflow on how you use Lightroom on a Laptop (while on a shoot) and a desktop (while back home).

Do you export pictures as a catalog to import them onto your desktop when you get home?

Do you have your master catalog (with smart previews) also on the laptop ?

For the laptop/s that I use in travel, no.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up